Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Minion

Adventure Thru Inner Space gets another shot!

ATIS was a unique experience at Disneyland, being the only ride that reflected a totally design and effects oriented experience. It added a different, unique level to a day at Disneyland.

Interestingly, Fox, Roland Emmerich and James Cameron are remaking the epic "Fantastic Voyage," a psychedelic film in which a crew is shrunk to microscopic size in order to enter a patient's bloodstream - - which was always compared to ATIS back in the day (see entertainment thread for remake/film discussion, this one is about the Disneyland attraction).

That means the ATIS miniaturization theme will again be prominent in pop culture.

Should Disneyland remake ATIS to tie-in?

http://micechat.com/forums/micechat-news-archive/74594-adventure-thru-inner-space-back-style.html

(If you don't know Fantastic Voyage, see the original trailer's similarities to ATIS at):

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33689
    Last edited by merlinjones; 08-16-2007 at 12:48 PM.

• Banned User

Re: Adventure Thru Inner Space gets another shot!

you need to stop living in the past

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

If it's a Pixar film, Tomorrowland will get a tie-in whether it's appropriate or not.

• Minion

>>you need to stop living in the past<<

Well, blame Fox, Cameron and Emmerich for the inspiration this time - - but thanks for the free advice all the same. I guess if you live in Sacramento you don't have to worry about choosing to live in the past - - it's automatic!

But as for Disneyland, how is subject of miniaturization for an attraction a thing of the past?

• Minion

>>If it's a Pixar film, Tomorrowland will get a tie-in whether it's appropriate or not.<<

What's Pixar got to do with Fantastic Voyage or Adventure Thru Inner Space?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Assuming that the film is a blockbuster it is only going to be in the public conscious for maybe a few months after the film is released or at least until the DVD is released.

Movies don't generate the excitement they once used to. Long gone are the days when a movie would play in a theatre for well over a year. Today a movie makes off like a bandit and then goes away to make room for the next big movie to bring in the bucks for the studio.

As much as I would like to see a new ATIS ride going in, it won't happen...

• Minion

>>Assuming that the film is a blockbuster it is only going to be in the public conscious for maybe a few months after the film is released or at least until the DVD is released. Movies don't generate the excitement they once used to. Long gone are the days when a movie would play in a theatre for well over a year. Today a movie makes off like a bandit and then goes away to make room for the next big movie to bring in the bucks for the studio.<<

Interesting theory. Then why do all the new rides at Disneyland and DCA involve a movie tie-in?

I thought the marketing presumption was that DVD and ancillaries meant the theme of a film (if successful in getting the public's attention) lasted longer than it used to... that's why they do sequels and remakes and attractions?

Maybe they should just install Body Wars in the StarTours space ;-)
    The Mur

• Beach Expert

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    >>Assuming that the film is a blockbuster it is only going to be in the public conscious for maybe a few months after the film is released or at least until the DVD is released. Movies don't generate the excitement they once used to. Long gone are the days when a movie would play in a theatre for well over a year. Today a movie makes off like a bandit and then goes away to make room for the next big movie to bring in the bucks for the studio.<<

Interesting theory. Then why do all the new rides at Disneyland and DCA involve a movie tie-in?

I thought the marketing presumption was that DVD and ancillaries meant the theme of a film (if successful in getting the public's attention) lasted longer than it used to... that's why they do sequels and remakes and attractions?
    I get what you are saying. It's just that unless this movie is huge I don't think it would warrant a "new" ride. If this movie was made 20 years ago I don't think this would have been a problem though. Things are a lot different today, unfortunately. But I do hope it is a big deal and generates enough passion for Disney to do something like this.

• Hiding in the shadows

It would be nice to see something stir up bringing back ATIS even if it is a movie. Its true that movies can bring rides (as we have seen) but unless there were some great marketing and merchandise opportunities I doubt it will make it. Its not the film that needs to be successful, it needs to envoke an image in peoples minds, sell toys, an image for tee shirts, etc.

I just don't see a run on the sale of microscopes...but it would be nice to dream of having one of my favorite rides back again.

A little piece of heaven

• Beach Expert

Quote Originally Posted by MollyTrolly View Post
    It would be nice to see something stir up bringing back ATIS even if it is a movie. Its true that movies can bring rides (as we have seen) but unless there were some great marketing and merchandise opportunities I doubt it will make it. Its not the film that needs to be successful, it needs to envoke an image in peoples minds, sell toys, an image for tee shirts, etc.

I just don't see a run on the sale of microscopes...but it would be nice to dream of having one of my favorite rides back again.

I think that's what I was trying to say. Good point.

just as long as they dont take out anyother rides because of it.

• Banned User

Forget ATIS...bring back BODY WARS at Epcot Center.

• Inhospitable about happy

You've got two questions going here: (1)Might they make a new ATIS? and (2) Should they make a new ATIS? As for the first question, you can count on one of Mickey Mouse's hands the number of old attractions that have been resurrected. Main Street Electrical Parade, and the Subs, and....and....? Obviously, Disney is strongly resistant to revivals. They're extremely rare.

As for the second question, as an old-timer I've been amazed, upon entering the world of the Internet, to discover what a cult following ATIS has. It was not a particularly well-done dark ride, people, and it did not sustain any kind of notable popularity while it was running. After the newness wore off, after a few years, I'd say that most days it was a walk-on.

You could plainly see that you were going from room to room (walls and doorways easy to see) and you had to be pretty small to be taken in by the intended illusion. Most of the sets were chintzy and used obvious lighting and projection techniques that would only amaze a small child. It was well short of state-of-the-art even for 1967. It began and ended with an incredibly ham-fisted and prolonged advertisement for Monsanto. In short, the nostalgia baffles me.

I suppose it could be redone with some real snazzy new technology, and so overcome these defects, but unless they went all-out and did so, I'd say...forget it. Leave this one in Yesterland. I don't want to argue with ATIS fans; I'm just putting out my 2c.

• Beach Expert

Let's just say that personally I do have a lot of nostalgia for this ride. When I was a kid I swear I was being shrunk. In fact looking a the shrunken Atom-mobiles from the queue -- I swear that is what was actually happening!

And as I got into my high school years ATIS took on a whole new meaning which I won't go into details about!

So it does have a lot of nostalgia for me. But as an adult, with all of that behind me, I suppose HBG2 is right. This ride really wasn't all that spectacular. But, oh, the memories!

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast