Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Neep meep beep

Re: Gate park admission prices over the years?

More specifically to the point of the original request:

And then from 1981 to 2007:

And finally this (and I'll note there's a $0.50 ticket that was issued before this one, but I can't seem to find it this time -- I posted it in an earlier posting):

• Minion

Yeah, but you have to separate the general admission ticket from the "Passport" - - in the ticketing days they always had a low-priced admission ticket just to hang out, eat, shop at the park without going on rides.

• Rock Star Minion

And, one should consider the giant surge in AP sales since 1995, which have increased attendance more than they have increased gate revenue.

My point is that there are a lot fewer unique guests to DL since 1995. Fewer different people go per year than in the past. It creates a shift in the services demanded and causes a change in the revenue focus from the front gate to everywhere else in the park. It changes the profit focus from the front gate to cheapening the costs of goods and services sold in the rest of the park.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Just this guy......

If you want to be very depressed check out the hotel rates for the "Disneyland Hotel"

http://users.sisna.com/matkinson/Pages/1967.html

Winter rate, Queen bed only $20 a night.
    Winter rate, Suite, two bedrooms and sitting room only $75.00 a night.

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Opus, how can an entry ticket be "complimentary" and have a price on it? O.o

Frogberto, Niiiice. I was considering making a graph, but I haven't been able to get together enough data to make a useful one.

Guys, I'd really love to get as complete a picture of the entry ticket / passport prices over the years. So far this is all I have:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disneyland#Tickets

We also need better references, for the whole article so that it's no longer all unverified hearsay. Anyone want to contribute?
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Zero Blockout Dates

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    >>Wow merlin, those prices differences are depressing.<<

I remember what a boost I got from an escape day at Disneyland while I was in college during those years. It was affordable enough to do once-in-a-while on a shoestring budget. And since that was before Annual Passports, off-season in Fall and Spring, you could find days when the park was nearly all yours for that price.

Ahhh crisp fall days you and the 'rents and about nobody else in the park.

My mom or dad used to tell us kids we were taking a day off from school, it was ALWAYS in the first few weeks of school ... we ALL knew what that meant, DISNEYLAND! after driving by St. Catherine's Military Academy on Harbor ("Keep your act together or that's where you'll be going to school next..." ahhh mom, she still has such a magical way with words </verklempt>)

Off season ... that's what I'd want for a YoaMD prize.

Seems like they could take four of us for under a hundred dollars (Mom had that Magic Kingdom Club card).
    Heck, now we can't even do lunch in the park for under that.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    Opus, how can an entry ticket be "complimentary" and have a price on it? O.o
    Simple. Because they did.

The reason? Most of these were given away to Park participants for them to give away to their clients or family members or whoever they wanted to. Having a printed "price" on them gave them more of a tangible perceived value.

So the printed face value price was never the price of the ticket (they were indeed complimentary and were mostly marked "Not For Sale" on the back)...but was instead simply their face value at the time they were issued.

Problem was that as folks (like myself) hoarded them over the years...when you later gave away a comp that had a $4.00 face value when admission had since grown to say $30...it had the opposite effect! Made it look like you were giving away something that didn't have much value.

So...sometime in the 1980's...they stopped printing any kind of value on the Complimentary admission media.

And started printing expiry dates on most...instead.

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    ...And started printing expiry dates on most...instead.
    Awwww, oh well at least that means you're not tempted to use them.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123