Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Re: Adding "Walt" to the Disney's California Adventure theme.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Walt Disney was very progressive when it came to technological advances, so inclusion of a Monorail stop and other modes of possible future transportation and technology could fit in DCA... but that would definately be dangerous ground to step in- as maintaining the future in a theme park is hard to do, as evidenced by Tomorrowland and Epcot's Future World.
    I agree here. Not to mention maybe the PeopleMover could return, but instead of at Disneyland, maybe at California Adventure? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I vaguely remember seeing a video clip of Walt saying he wanted the PeopleMover to become the then "next" mode of transportation. Well, if this is the case wouldn't a California with PeopleMovers be a form of California that he would have liked to see? :shrugs: It's just a thought.

...Joe...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by JosephTNielsen View Post
    I agree here. Not to mention maybe the PeopleMover could return, but instead of at Disneyland, maybe at California Adventure? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I vaguely remember seeing a video clip of Walt saying he wanted the PeopleMover to become the then "next" mode of transportation. Well, if this is the case wouldn't a California with PeopleMovers be a form of California that he would have liked to see? :shrugs: It's just a thought.

...Joe...

Walt is a progressive person, yes. But to name something "WALT DISNEY'S CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE", the title in itself limits you to HIS california. I like the subtle hints to his time period but I'm just saying no to having his first name attached to the park name.

And People Mover will never be put into DCA. If you can name another place in CA other than old Tomorrowland that has a people mover, then maybe it's possible.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    And People Mover will never be put into DCA. If you can name another place in CA other than old Tomorrowland that has a people mover, then maybe it's possible.
    Yes, but if Walt was looking for other modes of transportation why not bring it into (W)DCA? If executed well it could possibly start a trend for other areas of California? Why does (W)DCA have to be filled with just history? Why can't (W)DCA be the starting ground of things around the state? Walt was, as we've noted, progressive.

And yes, I can already hear what some of you are going to say. PeopleMover's been around for a long time and it never got implemented elsewhere. Why would now be any different? Well, things that didn't do well in the past can sometimes do better years down the road. I'm sure people are sick of gas prices. I'd like it if Los Angeles had a PeopleMover system for around downtown. I could actually be inclinded to go there.

...Joe...

I think this is a bad idea And I highly doubt they will follow through with this... Subtle Changes such as making a nicer entrance and stuff like that is great... but making a replica of Walt Disney's house with working trains seems Great For Nostalgia but is Hardly Marketable nor would anyone besides us Disney geeks think it would be cool. And adding "Walt" to the parks name is very odd

I like the idea. I think you can theme a whole park around California during Walt's time. And it isn't like they can't stretch thins out some. Nobody is going to say you can't put that in here. It wouldn't have been here in 1966.

I also think a train around Grizzly Peak would be very fun.
    Check out my new Disney Blog here. What it lacks in quality it makes up with... Well, nothing I guess.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer1985 View Post
    I think this is a bad idea And I highly doubt they will follow through with this... Subtle Changes such as making a nicer entrance and stuff like that is great... but making a replica of Walt Disney's house with working trains seems Great For Nostalgia but is Hardly Marketable nor would anyone besides us Disney geeks think it would be cool. And adding "Walt" to the parks name is very odd
    Bold, mine.
    Yeah, we know those "museums" we hear about are only for the enthusists...

Lightbulb Re: Adding "Walt" to the Disney's California Adventure theme.

I think that Walt Disney's California Adventure is a terrible idea! First of all, the story would be lost on anyone who isn't a hardcore Disney addict. Secondly, I much rather enjoy seeing the little touches and tributes to Walt while walking around the park (ie the Firehouse, the ironwork at the former Disney Gallery, etc.) much more than being blasted in the face with "This is Walt Disney's dream!" Which brings me to my third point: I can't speak for Walt but his track record shows an interest in the new and exciting and bringing to life dreams, not dwelling on what's past. Anyone who turns to the "what would Walt think?" about Disney's California Adventure's "un-Disney-ness" is being hypocritical about this rumor.

California Adventure, with all it's flaws, is a fantastic addition to the feel and theme Disneyland has always held because it is based in realism, and idea taht only Tokyo Dsineyland has been even close to replicating (as opposed to Walt Disney World or Disneyland Paris who rely on over-whimsicality to create magic, instead of making the magic real). California is real and therefor California Adventure doesn't risk diverging from that basis that roots Disneyland. The problem with California Adventure now is that it doesn't offer any dream escape, a problem which can be easlity remedied.

I've spent a lot of time thinking about what this park could offer:
    • The Parade Corridor turned into a railway-inspired trek from southern California where guests enter the park at "Union Station Plaza" themed around an old mission-style train depot, and travel to the "Central Valley Station" outside A Bug's Land, and fianlly reaching "Pacific Coast Depot" outside Golden Dreams. These would serve as three "hubs" (I'll explain these lands later):
      • Union Station Plaza: Condor Flats and Hollywoodland
      • Central Valley Station: A Bug's Land and Mission Square
      • Pacific Coast Depot: Bear Country, The Boardwalk, and Discovery Bay.
    • Hollywood Pictures Backlot would be retrofitted to Old Hollywood circa 1939, including a grand lobby built for the Hyperion Theater, the Animation Building being converted into The Great Movie Ride with guests visiting films like 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, Marry Poppins, and Pirates of the Caribbean. A gone-haywire experiment in "bringing the movies to life" in the wild-mouse darkride The Muppet Show. Also, across from Monster's Inc. would be the "set" for Steamboat Willie (all in black and white of course, ready to come to living color at night with the use of fiberoptics and lighting.
    • Condor Flats with remain a southern desert theme (to fit the region), but circa 1940s, with bomber-pilot and mechanic's jumpsuits for costumes. The biggest addition will be the replacement of Taste Pilot's Grill with the junior coaster Plane Crazy based on the Mickey Mouse short cartoon (the first with sound, by they way).
    • A Bug's Land with remain the same, with change to the facade for It's Tough To Be a Bug, theming it to a bug-esque Chinese Theater dubbed Bugg's Insect Theater. Guests will also enter through a tunnel that magically "shrinks them to the size of a bug".
    • Mission Square, California Adventure's answer to New Orleans Square as a pre-statehood pueblo will feature a replica of the pueblo from Disney's Zorro series including a fun Fort Wilderness-like Spanish fort, as well as a boat/flume ride called The Adventures of Zorro, as well as a "canoe-flume" ride encarnation of the long forgotten Western River Expedition.
    • Near Mission Square will be Discovery Bay. As the original presentation of this long forgotten addition to Frontierland's northend explains: Having as its roots a "San Francisco of the 1850-1880s," the theme area would bring to life a time and place that climaxed an age of discovery and expansion. Here we'll expand upon the well-themed Pacific Wharf (the entrance tot he land), as well as a Chinatown with the Firework Factory ride (featuring explosions of small fireworks from the roof come nightime), as well as an area not unlike Tokyo Disneysea's Mysterious Island, featuring 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (set in San Fran at the beginning of the book) and Journy To The Center of The Earth.
    • The Boardwalk, formorly Paradise Pier, will finally be shielded from teh surounding powerlines by a foux "hillside" behind the rollercoaster aided by the placement of the volcano. I say "roller caoster" because California Screamin' will be rechritianed Pacific Coast Highway and will feature the story of a beach-bound 1930s car being scared off the road by a train in a dark tunnel and onto an old wooden rollercoaster. The track will duck in and out of the mountainside and even feature an underwater grotto shared with Journey To The Center Of The Earth. To visually elongate the pier, King Triton's Carrousel will move seaside and replace the Sunwheel, jutting into the bay just outside the entrance to Mermaid Lagoon with a Atlantica-esque facade. Inside will be Jumpin Jellyfish, a "tea cups ride" in intruments from the "Under The Sea" segement, and the long forgotten Little Mermaid ride.
    • Bear Country will be home to Grizzly River Run, a gold mining expedition that put's the use the myth behind Grizzly Peak. Also will be an indoor/outdoor mine-train ride for the beloved characters from The Country Bear Jamboree.
    I feel the Adventure should be dropped from California Adventure (instead of forcing onto guests let them make they're own)...so I feel Disney's California is an excelent addition to Disneyland, and I can't wait to see a modified EPCOT or Disneysea across Katella come 2020.

Your thoughts? Please share.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

JosephTNielsen and drownedprocess are on to something here...

Walt Disney would probably want that 60s-era sketch of the real Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow built on the parking lot, or at least in place of GardenWalk and the low income housing across the street.

• Yay Mickey!!

Bravo drownedprocess for a well thought out and equally imaginative post. I have not had time to think it all through and will try to. Off the top of my head, what really strikes me is the name change to Disney's California. I like that!

I think one reason that Disney would like to keep it as DCA is because of the "CA" at the end. It's has double meanings. It's the abbreviation for the park, and on top of that it's also the acronym for the state of California. If you get rid of the word, "Adventure," then it becomes "DC," as in Washington DC.

I could be putting to much thought into it, which has been known to happen, but I do think it's nice.

...Joe...

Quote Originally Posted by JosephTNielsen View Post
    I think one reason that Disney would like to keep it as DCA is because of the "CA" at the end. It's has double meanings. It's the abbreviation for the park, and on top of that it's also the acronym for the state of California. If you get rid of the word, "Adventure," then it becomes "DC," as in Washington DC.
    Because of the double meaning Disney's California could still be DCA.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

If the imagination of Walt is inspiriring the updates/changes, then I think there's definitely some good things coming our way.

But...no AA Walt

Walt Disney's CaCa? Well it's better than Michael Eisner's Crap

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    What is particularly interesting about the rumors is the suggestion that Imagineers are looking to tear down the Golden Vine Winery complex, including the restaurants, and build a replica of the Disney's Holmby Hills estate.
    I don't care how good the theming is. Nothing should ever replace wine with something that isn't wine.

Viva la grape!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• 'Sleeping Beauty'

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    I honestly think that this is a great idea. It would add a lot more to the cohesiveness of the park, and help create a unified theme. I think it would be welcomed with open arms, if done right.

I just wonder how they are going to incorporate the already existing attractions that don't really mesh with the theme. Might need some rethinking, but I think it's a good jumping off point to rework the park.
    I dont really like this park much, I usually only ever go for hollywood tower!
    I dont think any of the rides particularily match or the park for that matter...
    It just doesnt have the magic of dl...
    it reminds me of a seaside resort theme deck on a pier..(think blackpool!)

making the land more themed with walt...
    building a mock up of his house for example would be amazing!!!

bring back some old school charm that's what I say!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12