Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Adding "Walt" to the Disney's California Adventure theme.

Rumors have sprung up online that Walt Disney Imagineering may be looking to add "Walt" to the "Disney's California Adventure" park name.

Some of the possibilities Imagineering is reportedly cooking up for "Walt Disney's California Adventure" is, of course, the long-rumored re-theme of Sunshine Plaza to resemble Los Angeles/Hollywood as it looked when Walt Disney stepped off the train from Marceline. Also, the similarly long-rumored re-theming Hollywood Pictures Backlot to 1930s-era Hollywood is also being planned.

What is particularly interesting about the rumors is the suggestion that Imagineers are looking to tear down the Golden Vine Winery complex, including the restaurants, and build a replica of the Disney's Holmby Hills estate. The estate would feature a new restaurant featuring Walt Disney's favorite comfort foods. The highlight of the new Holmby Hills Estate complex would a new train ride departing from the Estate - a sort of replica or inspired-by ride on Walt's personal Carolwood Pacific train. Set high up on a set of intricate set of trestles, the train would wind around the Grizzly Peak Recreation Area.

My question is not whether or not you'd enjoy these rumored additions to the park. Personally, I don't find much crediblity in the rumor's source, but my question is how would transforming DCA into Walt Disney's California Adventure be?

Would/could this be a good idea? Could the inclusion of "Walt" to the park, transforming it to the California he experienced, be a smart move?

Personally, I feel that this could be the perfect transformation of DCA. I'm all for it. A Walt Disney's California Adventure park could potentially rival the Disneyland experience. Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom - Walt's imaginary world of magic and nostalgia would be supremely complimented by an idealized version of the man's reality.

What do you think?
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 08-17-2007 at 01:20 PM.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Minion

Re: Adding "Walt" to the Disney's California Adventure theme.

I will never forget such famous events in Walt's life such as him spending a night in a hotel with an out of control elevator and the time he rode through Monstropolis in a very very slow taxi.

Anyway, this idea has a lot of potential and could be what is needed to save DCA. The areas of the park may be able to resemble places Walt went in CA, but most of the attractions will have very very little to do with Walt's life probably.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

While I don't think they should add "Walt" to the name of the park, I'm 100% FOR the rumored proposals and it's absolutely what I want to see in a "CA adventure" and that's history, charm, and a constant reminder of how it's supposed to be.

We've argued many times before that DCA is too modern and current for it to be truly successful. Disneyland works because of the past and future... but never the present (at least.. not intentionally).

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

In using Walt's life as a creative touchstone for these area's revamping, we may start to feel differently about DCA as a whole--a Park heretofore devoid of 'Walt-ness'.
    This new shift in perspective and direct link to WD, may (by association) cast a more palatable glow upon attractions at DCA that have no updating scheduled. To me, it seems a smart move. I sometimes get tired of saying this over and over, but--good thread, MG! ( )

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Personally, I think that Disney should have two Disney product brands: "Disney's" and "Walt Disney's". The "Walt Disney" brand being only for the library of products that are from the lifetime of Walt Disney. Current examples would be Walt Disney's Enchated Tiki Room and Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress at Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom, respectively.

The name also compounds the current naming problem with Disney's California Adventure. "DCA" exists because the name is both ackward and lengthy. I see no reason for "Walt Disney's California Adventure" to used over the existing "DCA", or "WDCA", and "California Adventure" in common reference.

I wouldn't mind such changes, i think it would be great for the park! although i would miss the winery, its about the only food at the park i can eat and it was the only place in the park i feeled worked with the parks theme.

• been away for a while

Carson City Nevada , no it's not near Vegas

i'm all for the Rumors , and i really see nothing wrong with adding "Walt" to the name. Roy made sure that "Walt" was included in the WDW name so we are reminded he was the man with the vision... i think the same thing could apply here

My Maleficent tattoo

• What have I done?

"Welcome to Walt Disney's California Adventure. Experince a land of excitement just as Walt had when he arrived."

I can just hear the spiels now. I kinda like it but will the non-Disney purists agree?

"This guy!"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I honestly think that this is a great idea. It would add a lot more to the cohesiveness of the park, and help create a unified theme. I think it would be welcomed with open arms, if done right.

I just wonder how they are going to incorporate the already existing attractions that don't really mesh with the theme. Might need some rethinking, but I think it's a good jumping off point to rework the park.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Personally, I think that Disney should have two Disney product brands: "Disney's" and "Walt Disney's". The "Walt Disney" brand being only for the library of products that are from the lifetime of Walt Disney. Current examples would be Walt Disney's Enchated Tiki Room and Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress at Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom, respectively.

The name also compounds the current naming problem with Disney's California Adventure. "DCA" exists because the name is both ackward and lengthy. I see no reason for "Walt Disney's California Adventure" to used over the existing "DCA", or "WDCA", and "California Adventure" in common reference.

I have to agree.

As for Walt Disney World, Roy put that on as a tribute to his brother's final dream. I think it's appropriate and a touching thought.

But to put his full name on a park that isn't his own concept, it's just a tad unnecessary.

And besides, making it WALT DISNEY'S CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE would almost seem like the entire park is trapped in that time period of when he first moved in... which is a bad move.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    But to put his full name on a park that isn't his own concept, it's just a tad unnecessary.

And besides, making it WALT DISNEY'S CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE would almost seem like the entire park is trapped in that time period of when he first moved in... which is a bad move.
    To me, in this case a name is a name is a name. "Disney" has always implied "Walt Disney". Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom is full of concepts he did not approve or probably even want or foresee happening. Additionally, Walt hasn't seen a movie since Blackbeard's Ghost, but Walt Disney Studios still pumped out films and continues to do so. I'm not hung up on the name--it's a brand now and 'Disney' and 'Walt Disney' seem synonomous; I am however, concerned more with content.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Those would be great changes...and I like the "Walt Disney's..." whatever is good as well.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    The time periods encompassed in WDCA might have to stay consistant with how long Walt was in California - which was from 1923 until his death in 1966, not only the first couple months or years after stepping off the train.

Additionally, I think that just because the park would incorporate "Walt" into the theme doesn't mean it isn't restricted from venturing into the future. Walt Disney was very progressive when it came to technological advances, so inclusion of a Monorail stop and other modes of possible future transportation and technology could fit in DCA... but that would definately be dangerous ground to step in- as maintaining the future in a theme park is hard to do, as evidenced by Tomorrowland and Epcot's Future World.

My point is, though, that I don't think that the park is necessarily limited to just a few years. Anything that can be deemed as significantly "Walt" by nature would fit well at the park.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• "I Break Things"

suddenly my Walt card thread is coming back to haunt me. On a personal basis I don't like it. Mainly because if it was "Walt Disney's" anything it would be "Walt Disney's Parking Lot". There is enough of the what would he or wouldn't he do as it is in Disneyland and that doesn't even have his full name branded on it! This is a merger of Disney the man, and Disney the company, and if the company fails to make the park a success then HOW DOES THAT LOOK considering it has the man's name on it? No AA but we'll name a failed park after him... soon they'll sell beenie babies and T-shirts, just think of the wonderful merchandise that can go with it!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    I will never forget such famous events in Walt's life such as him spending a night in a hotel with an out of control elevator and the time he rode through Monstropolis in a very very slow taxi.
    That's bloody brilliant right there, spot on lol. But anyway yes for the issue at hand....i like the proposed changes, they should be done to my way of thinking..would give the park a lot more charm, but the trouble does lie in the fact that not everything fits that, so calling it Walt Disney's California Adventure wouldn't really fit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast