Page 1 of 26 123411 ... LastLast

• wasting time

Are strollers being abused in Disneyland ?

Is it just me or does it seem like when you visit Disneyland there are too many children in strollers that are too old to be in them ? I know a stroller is must for a parent with a child of less than 2 years of age, but when the child is old enough to walk & talk is it really necessary or is the parent just being lazy ? One of the things I love about Euro Disneyland is the almost non-existance of strollers. It seems in France, parents make their children walk once they're old enough to do so, and if they get tired the parents either put them down for a rest or take them home. It may seem a bit harsh but then again I have never seen a young overweight children inside EDL, unlike DL.

What do you think ? Are strollers being abused in Disneyland ?

• no flash photography...

yes!! when they are bigger than the stroller they should not be in it. The last time my child was in a stroller at DL she was 3 or 4. After that she walked. Mostly because strollers at DL were a PITA for me. The last time we rented one we didn't even go back for the refund. We just left it in fantasyland......LOL...of course a bigger pet peeve for me are the scooters...*sigh*

• e komo mai

Ten year old kids do not need to be in strollers anymore.

The strollers are not as bad as the people carts that infest WDW. Now that was amazingly abused when I was over there in '99.

I feel that if a kid needs to be in a stroller, that they're too young for a lot of Disneyland. Wait 'til they're older and then take them. I mean, I've seen infants a couple months old at DL. Whoa! C'mon, wait until they're old enough to remember Disneyland to take them there...

• Sock Puppet

The strollers are rough and can be very abusive on the Achilles tendon/bursa. However, because there is a child, or in a lot of cases, young adult, in the device, the navigator will generally have some sort of regard for what he/she is bumping into. On the other hand, motorized wheel chairs (Gremlins, SideKicks etc.) are cases for negligent manslaughter. For one thing, the oldies that are driving these things around can't see a thing. Those glasses resembling blast shields are working against them and combining that with the arthritis pain killers leaves you with the equivalent of an elephant in an antique store considering the amount of people in the park.
    What is that you say? Disabled people operate these contraptions as well? Yes they do, and shouldn't there be some sort of Drivers Test involved in the acquiring of such vehicles? These people can't drive cars, where there are easily navigable roads and plenty of bold colored signs along the way to help you out. Who had the crazy idea of letting them go on a free for all by giving them bumper cars in a highly populated area with no breaks?!

All I ask for is this: You are driving one of these motorized carts and ram into me. I expect to see some credentials similar to a drivers licenese making me aware that there is an authority on the topic that thinks you are capeable of handling such raw power.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Yes, strollers are being abused-especially with people running them into
    the ankles of other guests-those things need bumpers. And don't get me started about those 3 wide models. :devil:
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike
    And don't get me started about those 3 wide models. :devil:
    Yeah, don't get me started about the 3 wide models without children in them...

• I Hug My Tapirs

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike
    Yes, strollers are being abused-especially with people running them into the ankles of other guests-those things need bumpers.
    Yes! People do it deliberately, too. I've had people use their stroller like a battering ram on me.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

Disneyland is for kids of ALL AGES!!! Not crabby people that are mean about kids trying survive full day at Disneyland. I would rather see a bunch of kids in strollers then a bunch crying tried kids!

• I like Cheese...

This is one of my big pet peeves. <RANT> I'm always getting bumped into, foot run over, etc. To be honest, it usually doesn't hurt. What gets me is the attitude of a large number of parents. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a kid hater or anything, but why is it OK for a parent to be rude just because they have kids. I understand that it can be exausting to take a bunch of rug rats to DL, and get really frustrating when trying to navigate the crowds with kids (think adventureland after fantasmic), but that is the choice of the parent, not me. There is no excuse for being inconsiderate of others.

Parents with strollers, please: If you need to stop and take care of something, don't stop in the middle of the path with your stroller, move over to the side out of the way as possible, if you plow into someone, apologize, and be sincere about it and finally, if it is really crowded, consider folding up the stroller and carrying the kid until the crush is over. </RANT>

Thank you for your consideration and attention to this matter

• no flash photography...

^^*derail* whatever I love your avatar. We did that same tour in december. Itw as so fun. Did you do the 4 hour tour? I loved eating the snack over looking all the animals....it was a very relaxing day.....and we had the whole truck to ourselves. We got spoiled...LOL*derail over*

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries
    Before people without children start to judge parents who choose to put children in strollers, put yourself in the place of a parent with children. How is it possible for you to judge a situation you know nothing about?

Now, I still take a stroller to Disneyland for my four year old, on ocassion. It is the only time she is ever in a stroller. Does she always use it? No. Can she make it through the park just fine without the stroller, yes. These days, I leave the decision up to her. It is her choice to have the stroller there in case she needs it.

I think it is quite rude of people to assume that they know the circumstances of why a parent has a stroller with them in the first place. Think about the family who might only make it to Disneyland once in a blue moon. They have their kids with them, they want to see everything they possibly can in a day.

Or think about the pregnant mom who has a younger child in tow that wants to be carried all over the park because Disneyland is a lot of ground to cover for short legs that don't move at the same pace as an adult. The pregnant mom shouldn't be carrying a young child around at DL all day long.

Or think about that big hill that needs to be tackled in order to experience the kid friendly ride that is The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. Short legs going up that hill is a tough walk.

Or perharps the child is a very normal looking child, but is autistic and needs to remain in a stroller. That stroller is the only way a parent might be able to take this child to enjoy the magic of Disneyland.

If you have a full story and understand the circumstances as to why a parent has decided to put a child in a stroller, then more power to you. If you are just speculating, comparing apples to oranges, then at least do some research as to why a parent has decided to put a child in a stroller.

As for people being bumped into with strollers - 99.999% of these are accidents. I don't know of a single person who has been rammed on purpose. If I accidentally bump into someone with a stroller, I guarantee that it was for one of two reasons: #1 A suddent change in the flow of traffic or #2 the person decided to stop directly in front of the stroller I was pushing.

Also, People pushing strollers are not the only people who stop in the middle of walkways. Parents who stop a stroller mid push are more than likely picking up a dropped item. I don't think the same could be said of people who randomly stop in walkways for no apparent reason.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• Where's the Big Dipper?

How many of you guys have kids or have had to be in the company of a young person at or under the age of 6 or 7 for more than 24 hours at Disneyland?

Bailey is 6 years old. Considering that fact, the girl gets tired. Honestly, it's not because she is lazy or overweight that she sits in the stroller. We spend the entire day in the park. We're talking about getting up at 7AM, staying in the parks until 3 or so, taking a nap for a couple hours and then going back into the park until 11PM or 12AM.

I've done the "You're a big girl, you walk" deal. It was great... until the last day when she was limping and we found out that she had a blister on the back of her heel. When questioned why she didn't say anything she said "I'm a big kid now and I didn't want you to take me back to the hotel because I couldn't walk like a big girl."

My girl CAN make it around without a stroller but it still remains... the girl is 6 years old. She's used to going to bed at 9:00PM. Her excitement keeps her awake mentally... but she's physically tired.

I'm not an ankle rammer or aisle blocker by any means, but for the comfort of my kid and the chance for us to go back to the park the next day and have a good time, I'll get a stroller so she can rest a little.
    She walks in beauty, like the night
    Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
    And all that's best of dark and bright
    Meet in her aspect and her eyes.....

--Lord Byron

• I like Cheese...

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    ^^*derail* whatever I love your avatar. We did that same tour in december. Itw as so fun. Did you do the 4 hour tour? I loved eating the snack over looking all the animals....it was a very relaxing day.....and we had the whole truck to ourselves. We got spoiled...LOL*derail over*
    Yes, exactly. we had the entire truck as well. Well worth the $150 per person

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by mamabot
    Now, I still take a stroller to Disneyland for my four year old, on ocassion...
    Yes, yes. But we like your children. It's dem other kids in those killer strollers that we don't like.

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    Yes, yes. But we like your children. It's dem other kids in those killer strollers that we don't like.
    I love you GC.

Ali had a lot of fun watching the ducks with you. And you witnessed me in one of my worst stroller moments too. We have since retired that stroller. We use a dinky umbrella stroller now.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

Page 1 of 26 123411 ... LastLast