• Iron-Clad Allie

Anaheim City Council Playing Games With Anaheim Resort District, DLR & Voters Alike?

One would reason that Councilmembers Kring, Hernandez and Galloway's allegiance would be to the 21,000 Anaheim residents that signed petitions to qualify a referemdum against high-density housing in the Anaheim Resort Area. Will the three turn their respective noses up in the face of the public's interest in favor of the special interests of SunCal and other housing developers?

Following the voters decision to qualify the referendum around two-months ago, the three rogue councilmembers have delayed voting in favor of placing the item on the ballot (as required by law) three times. They appear determined to hem DLR in so as to prevent it from expanding - and to prevent voters from having a voice on the issue.

Word is that they are conspiring with SunCal to place their pro-residential (anti-resort) petition on the ballot - in spite of the fact that it failed to gain enough signatures from voters to qualify. Just who do they serve? I certainly hope that Anaheim voters replace each of these disloyal clowns with true representatives as they come up for re-election.

On August 21st, the City Council will once again vote whether to honor the people's desire to have the voter approved referendum placed on the ballot. Kudos to Mayor Kurt Pringle and Councilman Harry Sidhu who have fought for the long-term economic interests of Anaheim and it's residents. After all, 54% of the City's revenue to pay for public services (etc.) is generated by Disney and the Anaheim Resort District (less than 5% of Anaheim's land mass).

Anaheim residents (register to vote if you currently do not) -

"Please join your friends and neighbors in SOAR (Save Our Anaheim Resort(see a full list) by calling or e-mailing City Hall at (714) 765-5247 or [email protected]. Or attend the City Council meeting at 5 p.m. Tuesday, August 21 at City Hall, 200 S. Anaheim Blvd.). Tell them that you are demanding your right to vote on high-density."
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 08-19-2007 at 11:32 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: Anaheim City Council Playing Games With Anaheim Resort District, DLR & Voters Ali

Here are a few comments of mine that I have posted over at a political website dealing with Orange County called Red County...

http://www.ocblog.net/ocblog/nimby_mouse/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer

This post got me interested (in regards to Disney donating $1.6 million to SOAR), so I went to Anaheim.net and looked in the City Clerk records for the Form 460 for the Committee to Defend and Protect Anaheim for the April thru June period.

http://209.234.149.20/weblink7/DocView.aspx?id=85374

SunCal has donated over $400,000 to CDPA

And SOAR has had to gather over 50,000 signatures for their two measures, while CDPA hasn't had those expenses. Plus while SOAR has over $200,000 in the bank (after taking in account its debts), CDPA is about $100,000 in debt.

Now CDPA/SunCal is trying to get the initiative they favor (Voters need to approve "Strawberry Field" Zoning changes) without the time or expense that SOAR had to by getting the City Council to waive the requirement.
    What will this do, save SunCal up to $500,000 which would normally be needed to pay petition circulators. Money they can spend instead on campaigning on the ballot measures.

And of course, SOAR had a lot of extra expenses due to the fact that CDPA/SunCal persuaded the City Council to "codify" the Zoning Change that the city council approved. This required the SOAR petition gatherers to carry around the entire Anaheim Municipal Code when getting signatures, and since the code is about the size of a large phone book, pretty much prevented petitions to be mailed to registered voters and door to door campaigning. How much extra money did Disney have to donate to SOAR to cover the more expensive way of gathering signatures, and paying for those copies of the Municipal Code to be printed?

I am all for CDPA/SunCal being allowed to propose their "Strawberry Field" Initiative, but not with the City Council waiver. They should have to go through the same time and expense as SOAR had to do to gather signatures on its two measures.

And who knows, CDPA might not even be able to get 10% of the Anaheim registered voters to sign the petition. But if they do, then it should be placed on the ballot, as the citizens requested it. If they can't get the 10%, then it should stay off the ballot.

But one point that keeps coming up when I follow this issue is how SunCal is getting preferential treatment in regards to this issue.

From the fact that the initial zoning changes and environmental reports were paid for by the city, instead of the normal route, which is the fact the developer pays. Also, in the majority of cases, the developer is required to submit a definite plan to the zoning commission. As I understand it, no actual plan has been submitted by SunCal for the project.

Then the codifying of the actual zoning change, this is NOT the normal procedure, but a rare exception, and was done by the three city councilpersons specifically to make it harder to circulate the referendum petitions. I know of no other reason why it was done. Maybe someone can educate me on another reason why it was done.

And now, the "Strawberry Field" Initiative should be placed on the ballot by the City Council. For what reason is this initiative necessary or benefits the city of Anaheim?

To me, it just seems like "spite" since SOAR was successful in getting enough signatures for its measures.

Currently the "Strawberry Field" is zoned for parking and farming, and if Disney, the land owners, want to build something, they would have to approach the zoning commission and submit its plan for developing the land, and request approval for the changes. And if the City Council wants to, could review the zoning commission decision. The same as any other project in the area.

Why does the "Strawberry Field" need a special rule?

And as for majorities, what does the majority of the CITIZENS (Registered voters) of Anaheim support?

But let's go back to the original post, Disney has donated the VAST majority of money that SOAR has spent, and out of the $1.6 million, over $500,000 was used to gather signatures (about a third of the money spent. It works out to about $10 per signature based on the info I know (over 20,000 for the referendum, and around 30,000 for the initiative.)

And a lot of that expense was due to the actions that CDPA took, based on this OCR news article from May 21st.

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1701973.php

>>Since last month, circulators from both sides have been collecting signatures all over town – at grocery stores, post offices and public events. Recorded voice messages and mailers went out. Police were called a few times when confrontations broke out, mainly when SOAR circulators complained that the other side was blocking them.

The SunCal-funded group, Committee to Protect and Defend Anaheim, put up tables with posters stating, "Stop the Disney Take Over." Residents representing about 18,000 households signed support letters and mailers.
    About 100 SOAR volunteers helped out, including at three picnics over the weekend. On a daily basis, circulators were paid between $5 and $10 per signature at six to 12 stations, said Annette McCluskey, SOAR spokeswoman. Higher pay was given when petitioners competed with SunCal's circulators, who got an undisclosed amount.<<

Now on the other hand, the VAST majority of funding for CDPA has been from SunCal, based on what I have read, it is over $400,000 in cash, and a $100,000 loan, which I presume will be converted into a donation, as I don't see the money coming from another source. So that is around $500,000 spent, and out of that $110,000 was paid for signature gathering and the "blocking/withdrawal" of the SOAR petitioners. Over 20% of the budget, and the only "official" signatures they got were about 3,300 rescission cards based on the same OCR article...

>>By filing the papers, the coalition prevented the SunCal-funded group from turning in almost 1,300 cards that residents signed over the weekend to withdraw their signatures from the referendum petition.

The clerk's office is forbidden from accepting such cards once signatures are filed, City Clerk Linda Nguyen said. About 2,000 rescission cards were turned in on time.<<

So that is over $30 a signature. (I am not counting how many signatures CDPA got on their support the council actions letters, as they were non-binding, and that anyone could sign the letters, it wasn't important if you were a registered voter of Anaheim.)

That is a LOT of money spent on both sides.

And talking about money and what's next.

This upcoming Tuesday, the Anaheim City Council will once again have the referendum on the agenda (Item #54).

And once again, they have three basic choices.

They could once again postpone the decision, but the fact remains, only if the matter goes to the ballot, and that the registered voters in the election side in the majority with the council's decision, will the actual zoning change be official. Currently it is not law, since the required amount of signatures were gathered and submitted with the 30 day required period.

I hope the council won't take that action, but it is an option.

Then they have two other options, the first is to rescind the decision. What does this do? it prevents the same basic matter to appear in front of the city council for a period of one year, after which, the council can once again bring up the same exact matter if they choose. If they decide to do this, there are some benefits, it stops the expenses of the city on the project, plus it wouldn't require any additional monies from Disney and SunCal to be spent on campaigning for the measure being placed in on the ballot, and based on the amount both sides have already spent, will be a significant amount by both sides. I also presume that the current lawsuit about the Enviromental Reports that were not done would be moot, and the costs to the city in legal fees would stop. It will also save the citizens for being placed in a "War" between the two sides. And IF the polls clearly show that the Zoning Change would be repealed by the citizens of Anaheim, this is the decision that makes sense to me (my personal opinion), if there is a large gap in the polls (and I have no idea what numbers have shown up, but I presume that both CDPA and SOAR have taken some from registered voters in Anaheim and check where they stand on the matter). On the other hand, if it is close, or that the registered voters of Anaheim are deciding to agree with the majority of the council, then this option doesn't make sense.

And the option, that IMHO will take place, is that the council will decide 3-2 to place the referendum on the ballot of the citizens of Anaheim to decide the matter.

And then there is a second issue if the council decides to place the matter on the ballot. And that is WHEN?

The most obvious options are to place it on one of the three upcoming scheduled elections in February, June and November of 2008, though they can decide to have a special election on any date 3 months (88 days) from the date the motion to place it on the ballot is passed by the city council, but has to be placed on the ballot no later than the November election.

Since the matter is in limbo, IMHO an earlier ballot, such as February makes the most sense, as it will finally end the issue one way or the other, and also should keep the expenses on both sides (SOAR/CDPA) to the minimum.

Now, another issue is Tax Dollars and how much it will cost the city to have an election. The city staff has stated that a special election on its own date is close $500,000 in costs, and I hope the city council doesn't make that decision.

If they have the measure voted on as part of the February or June scheduled elections, then the cost is around $250,000, maybe a bit less.
    And if they wait until November and the General Election, the cost should be less than $10,000.

On the other hand, if they decide to place the measure on the November ballot, then the issue will be in limbo for over a year, and it also makes it easier to place the "Strawberry Field" initiative, if the council decided to place it directly on the ballot, or if CDPA goes out and gathers the required signatures a chance to place it on the same ballot as the SOAR measure(s).

And once again, IMHO, I think that the Strawberry Field measure is basically on the ballot for "Spite" and to confuse the issue in the eyes of the voters if all the measures are on the same ballot.

(And once again, I am asking for what reason is this initiative necessary or benefits the city of Anaheim and its citizens? Why does the "Strawberry Field" need a special rule?)

Should be interesting Council meeting Tuesday night.

And thanks for the comments about the rescission cards, one of the main reasons I posted the last post (and the info I am going to post in this one) is to see if I got the info right, and am I misunderstand one or more points. Most of my info comes from news articles, attending and watching the City Council meetings, and reading info from the SOAR website, and the CDPA websites, plus I have been reading Jubal posts here at the OC Blog.
    A couple of more observations.

First off, I felt that all the unions were supporting Ms. Galloway and the SunCal project, based on what I saw at the City Council and Ms. Galloway's comments. One point that was brought out early was the fact that one of the main supports of Ms. Galloway when she ran for the city council seat was the unions.

But since the zoning changed passed 3-2, the building trade unions and the AFL/CIO has come out in favor of SOAR and not approving the zoning change. I presume that both sides talked to the unions to get their support, and the building unions decided they would prefer to keep the zoning for the resort area, and the reason why is that more high level jobs (such as steel work) would be created with commercial projects instead of residential housing.

Also, that not all the low-cost housing advocates are backing SunCal and the city council on the Mobile Home land.

From the LA Times dated July 9th, 2007

http://www.piconetwork.org/media-cov...ue-expands.pdf

>>Religious coalition leaders say they are staying out of the high-profile fight in the Resort District, partly because some members have sided with Disney and others don't believe the entertainment giant can be beaten in the courts or at the ballot box.<<

And with the splitting of groups that most would expect to support the low-cost housing project, it doesn't look good for the SunCal project.
    So with this info, should the City Council place the measure on the ballot, or should they realize that there is not a highly likelihood (once again, based on secondary knowledge) of the zoning change getting enough votes to be allowed to continue and just save everyone time, money and hassle?

I am not sure, as I am one in favor of letting the voters decide an issue as hotly contested as this issue is. But on the other hand, if it is clear that the issue is so lopsided that it has no real chance of the zoning change being approved by the voters, why waste all the time and effort of everyone?

Maybe some folks can make the info clearer and more understandable to everyone (aka both sides)....

I was thinking about the SunCal stance a bit more, and decided to go back through a few recent news articles.

From the OCR dated July 15th...

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1767972.php

>>The two sides met over the weekend and may ask the City Council to postpone a vote on the issue Tuesday, said Frank Elfend, a consultant for developer SunCal.

The council is scheduled Tuesday to set the date on a referendum to overturn residential zoning on the plot where SunCal wants to build 1,500 homes in the Anaheim Resort. A Disney-funded group collected enough signatures to put the item on the ballot and has also sued the city over the proposal.......

"I think that all parties agree that a continuance on Tuesday would be good way to initiative positive dialogue," Elfend said.

Elfend declined to discuss the nature of the compromise, saying information would come out in the next few days.<<

From the OCR dated July 17th...

http://www.ocregister.com/news/disne...naheim-council

>>On Sunday, a consultant for SunCal, the developer that wants to build 1,500 homes on the plot, said he would ask for a delay on the vote after Disney and SunCal officials met Saturday to discuss possible solutions. Disney officials said no compromise was reached. SunCal wanted more time for discussions.

But on Monday, SunCal consultant Frank Elfend declined to comment about whether he still planned to seek a postponement.

Councilwoman Lucille Kring said she has been trying for a compromise and would like a delay. <<

And from the LAT dated August 1st...

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-m...ninav-business

>>The council postponed voting on the issue two weeks ago so that the housing developer and Disney Co. could settle their differences on the proposed 1,500-unit condominium and low-income apartment complex near Disneyland. On Tuesday, the council voted 3 to 2 to continue the item for three weeks after officials with developer SunCal Cos. requested a continuance 30 minutes before the meeting.<<

And from the OCR dated August 1st, 2007...

http://www.ocregister.com/news/housi...naheim-workers

>>A representative from SunCal, the company that wants to build homes in the resort, sent a letter two hours before the meeting to ask the City Council for more time to talk with officials from the Walt Disney Co., which has launched ballot measures and sued over the 1,500-home project with 225 affordable apartments.

The City Council voted 3-2 to again delay decision on an election date for a referendum on the issue. Mayor Curt Pringle and Councilman Harry Sidhu voted against the postponement.<<

So my memory was correct, and it was SunCal and its consultants who were asking for the postponements....

And also interesting to see Jubal post this in the original blog article.

>>When circulators hired by the SunCal side presented countervailing arguments at SOAR circulator stations, Disney/SOAR even accused us of suppressing the right to vote!<<

And in the most recent Campaign Statement (Form 460 - 2nd Quarter) from CDPA, they paid $110,000 for "Payment to PCI Consultants, Inc. for signature gathering and blocking/withdrawal". So even the Protect Anaheim campaign admits they were trying to block the gathering of signatures in their official statements.

Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Re: Anaheim City Council Playing Games With Anaheim Resort District, DLR & Voters Ali

I really don't get why some people decide that they want to upset the status quo. I'm guessing they are trying to make a quick buck out of this somehow. Smells of corruption from the limited amount of material I've read on the subject.

Aye Karumba... I might go down and try to get LAX moved, just for kicks...
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• "I Break Things"

Thank You Darkbeer, I did take the time to read the majority of this. My main question continues to be how will this impact Anaheim? Eventually the property will be developed and more people will crowd the surrounding area. On a personal basis I would rather it be apartment/condo residents then more hotel rooms and tourists, unless they can develop a better traffic management system. The current infrastructure is disintegrating under the weight of mass tourism, and I fear that without proper planning it's only going to get worse.

On a side note I find it comical that Disney is claiming someone else is playing dirty and unfair favoritism... but then in the same breath say "we provide most of the tax money shouldn't we get special treatment". As I said eventually the property will be developed... I just hope there is multiple planning and impact studies first.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

In regards to monotonehell's post.

Based on the info I have found.

SunCal, a developer sat down with the owners of the 2 Mobile Park Homes on Haster and started conversations into the possibility of buying the land. They came up to an agreement in price, and signed an agreement that would allow SunCal to buy the property at a later date at a certain price. I presume there is a penalty clause, in which the Mobile Home owners would get a payment if SunCal decides to not buy the property, to pay for the inconvenience and the fact they couldn't sell the property to anyone else.

The property is about 26 acres in size, and currently in Anaheim, commercially zoned land is worth about $2 million per acre, while residential land is worth about $5 million per acre.

So if SunCal thought they could make a quick profit just on the changing of value of the land due to rezoning.

They knew that one of the Anaheim City Councilperson, Ms. Galloway, campaigned on low-cost housing (she claimed it was her number 1 reason for running or office). So they approached her with a plan to deliver about 225 low-cost units, IF she would help them get the project rezoned. She talked to at least some of the other council members and said yes, she could do that, and would make life "easy" for them and do it in a way that SunCal wouldn't have to pay much of the costs.

And note, SunCal is a developer, not a builder. Their expertise is getting project approved and ready for a builder, and then sell the building rights to companies that will build and sell the actual units. SunCal makes a profit in the difference in value from buying the land in the first place, and the increased value due to the fact that the property is ready for building. And in this case, it is at least $66 million, if not more.

Well, things were going smoothly until Disney heard about the project, and raised some questions, the main issue is the fact that Disney guaranteed the bonds that were used about 10 years ago to improve the Resort Area, and the Hotel Taxes pay back the bonds. If there isn't enough raised in the TOT (hotel taxes) then Disney would have to pay back the difference. They also questioned how the process was being done, including the waiving of the Environmental reports.

Then we have had all the fighting that has gone on since.

But it has brought light to a process that is usually down in the back rooms and never sees the light of day. This issue might cause the councilpersons favoring SunCal some problems in the future, as the "favoritism" points will be used by opponents in future elections.

Plus SunCal has now spent a lot of money, IMHO about $1 million in trying to get this project approved, and then will have to pay the Mobile Home owners a large sum of money (my guess, in the million range) to cancel the project. So if the zoning fails, it is going to cost SunCal a lot of money in losses, but that is just a fact of business for a developer, they are taking an educated risk to try and make a profit, sometimes it works, but sometimes it fails....

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Thank You Darkbeer, I did take the time to read the majority of this. My main question continues to be how will this impact Anaheim? Eventually the property will be developed and more people will crowd the surrounding area. On a personal basis I would rather it be apartment/condo residents then more hotel rooms and tourists, unless they can develop a better traffic management system. The current infrastructure is disintegrating under the weight of mass tourism, and I fear that without proper planning it's only going to get worse.

On a side note I find it comical that Disney is claiming someone else is playing dirty and unfair favoritism... but then in the same breath say "we provide most of the tax money shouldn't we get special treatment". As I said eventually the property will be developed... I just hope there is multiple planning and impact studies first.
    About 10 years ago, the City of Anaheim and Disney came up with an agreement about creating the Resort Area, an area that was zoned for commercial uses basically related the tourism and entertainment industry (including conventions and related uses). Anybody in the area would be grandfathered for current uses, but agreed to the new zoning rules going forward if they sold or want to build something new on the property. The Mobile Home parks were not part of the original planned area. The owners of the land approached the city and requested to be added to the zone, and agreed to the rules about commercial uses in the future.

Disney purchased and secured the bonds for the project to go forward, including all the improvements in the entire zone, including increasing the Convention Center 40% in size, all the street improvements, and landscaping which helped everyone in the zone. It has worked, hotel rates and occupancy has gone up and more hotels have been built, more restaurants have been added, and now the Anaheim Garden Walk project is being built. Convention business has also greatly increased in Anaheim, now bringing in over 1.2 million people a year to use the facilities, the average convention goer spends about 3 nights in a hotel and spends money on food and entertainment while in the area. This brings in the TOT revenues, over $70 million a year currently, out of which about 1/5th ($14 million) is used to pay off the bonds, the rest goes to the city general fund to pay for services. Since tourists don't need many of the city services (such as schools, etc.) this large amount of tax income helps to pay for city service in the entire community, not just the resort area (about 5% of the city). Also, these tourists pay more than $100 million in sales taxes just in the resort area, out of which 1% out of the 7.75% sales tax goes to the city, and another .5% goes to the regions transportation fund (Measure M), which helps to pay for freeways and public transportation throughout Orange County.

If you convert the land from commercial to residential, you lose most of those benefits, and then create more needs for city services. A study shows that the amount of taxes paid (property taxes, sales taxes and other income the city would get) would basically just pay for those needed services and eliminate the current "profit" that the TOT taxes pay for.

The Mobile Home Parks are right across the street from land Disney currently owns and has stated will be used for building a third theme park in the future. This land is needed for the expansion of tourist related activities. There are plenty of other parts of Anaheim that could use a new project and that the developer there could help pay for improvements in the area, which is the way most parts of the city gets improved. Since the Resort area has already improved the streets and infrastructure (in fact there are plans to widen Haster Street, the city has already bought the Mobile Homes that need to be removed to add the extra lane and other improvements). That is being paid for by the revenue from the TOT taxes.

This is just the wrong project for the location. Heck, the proposed project is very high density, about 77 units per acre, which would make it the highest density in the city (currently a few locations has about 60 units, which is high, the normal rate is closer to 20 units). What would this do to traffic in the area?

• Minion

You know it just stinks when just a few stand to gain big, in an area that has been being groomed (to the tune of millions I'm sure) for the last several years for resort expansion. Especially with the Garden Walk Project.
    Thanks for all your sleuthing Darkbeer! We out of the loop really appreciate it.
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

The other thing is SunCal plans communities, sells them to developers, and runs. One of the developments around here in NorCal... I looked into, was warned to run (I did). And a few years later you have a ton of homes, and empty lots that were for "Parks", "Schools" (Seems they ran out of money). Infrastructure is basically everyone has to enter via two roads that tie into one highly congested road (planned for widening in 2022, although they were telling us that "Construction was on it's way"). Oh, and one of the two roads is a Rail Road Crossing just a few miles from the entrance of the largest RailRoad Yards int eh West.

Yeah... great planning work...

Oh... And the Mello-Roos Taxes for the infrastructur... about $500/MONTH per home, plus there was some $95/month for the "Fiber Optic Internet". (Strangly I get it for $40/mo at my current home not inside the SunCal Community.

I know someone who bought, and still gets told that the Promised Infrastructure is coming soon... but basically the only thing that was built was tons, and tons of homes, with no parks, no schools, basically nothing but high fees... paying for basically no services whatsoever.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    Here are a few comments of mine that I have posted over at a political website dealing with Orange County called Red County...

http://www.ocblog.net/ocblog/nimby_mouse/index.html

SOAR and Disney should file a lawsuit agaist the pro-SunCal councilmembers over non-uniform and unethical election practices, should they waive the 10% of Anaheim voters signature requirement for their "Strawberry Field" initiative to qualify for the ballot. They should do so especially after the councilmembers imposed the edict on SOAR for it's referendum and initiative. If taxpayer money was used to pay SunCal's consultant to block SOAR petitions, criminal charges should be filed.

The cost the city paid for SunCal's initial zoning requirments and environmental reports should be deducted from the councilmembers paychecks. Requiring the entire election code to be attached to each petition for any given initiative or referendum should be expressly forbidden by law.

The splitting of groups that are normally pro-low income housing indicates that SunCal and the council stand no chance in seeing their initiative passed - and further demonstrates disrespect for taxpayes and voters alike by waisting their time and money.

Either the three councilmembers are breaking the law, or else the latitude allowed oncerning local government and the election process is so currupt that it is absolutely broken.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 08-19-2007 at 11:17 PM.

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Hey Darkbeer, thanks very much for taking the time to outline the "skulduggery" so succinctly.

Isn't it always the way; council members never get onto council for altruistic reasons, there's always some personal agenda. *sigh*
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

As I've mentioned elsewhere on MiceChat, if they get to put high-density residential on that old Mobile Home Park land bordering the Strawberry Field, those residents can make noise complaints about the proposed Third Theme Park being built where the Strawberry Field and Katella Cast Member parking lot are now. They might even be able to stop the project cold.

Once they move in, the residents can't be moved elsewhere without massive costs - buying the homes at "current market value" plus relocation payments. Commercial properties don't fall under the same rules.

SunCal wants to make a big killing on buying the "industrial" land cheap, "flipping" it by getting it zoned Residential and ready to develop WITHOUT having to pay for traffic improvements or other assessments, and pocketing a big wad of cash - and stick Disney with all the Resort District area improvement costs, plus devalue Disney's land by denying their rights so put it to it's best use which will be another theme park - they sure don't make that much from the Fujishige family farming the strawberries...

And you just know that the eventual builders of the project will figure out a way around the low-income housing they commit to, the only question being how. The simplest way is to put all those units in the "Last phase of construction" building, and then "Oops!" run out of financing money and have to leave it as open parkspace in the development...

(Certainly won't be the first time a developer pulls a Flim-Flam, takes the money and runs - We have a development near us that was approved, rezoned from agricultural to high density residential with the consent of all the neighboring residential and Condo properties, and constructed under the convenient fiction that they were to be Condominiums for sale... And when they got them built they suddenly "couldn't sell them" and they were turned into Townhome Rentals.)

This whole SunCal deal stinks on ice.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    I really don't get why some people decide that they want to upset the status quo. I'm guessing they are trying to make a quick buck out of this somehow. Smells of corruption from the limited amount of material I've read on the subject.

Aye Karumba... I might go down and try to get LAX moved, just for kicks...
    Aye Curruptionba...You've got your finger on the pulse of the problem, momotonehell.

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post

As Disney and other tourist oriented businesses in the Anaheim Resort District (ARD) collectively pay 54% of the city's taxes, they should have the power to cause local government to manage trafic better throughout town. I'm certain that an effort would be made on your behalf if you addressed Mayor Pringle, ARD and upper management at Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by travelmom View Post
    You know it just stinks when just a few stand to gain big, in an area that has been being groomed (to the tune of millions I'm sure) for the last several years for resort expansion. Especially with the Garden Walk Project.
    Thanks for all your sleuthing Darkbeer! We out of the loop really appreciate it.
    Absolutely. Kudos to you Darkbear for an commendable job of information gathering and troubleshooting! An abusive self-serving few (such as SunCal and the council) are always at the root of problems that hurt the many.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post
    The other thing is SunCal plans communities, sells them to developers, and runs. One of the developments around here in NorCal... I looked into, was warned to run (I did). And a few years later you have a ton of homes, and empty lots that were for "Parks", "Schools" (Seems they ran out of money). Infrastructure is basically everyone has to enter via two roads that tie into one highly congested road (planned for widening in 2022, although they were telling us that "Construction was on it's way"). Oh, and one of the two roads is a Rail Road Crossing just a few miles from the entrance of the largest RailRoad Yards int eh West.

Yeah... great planning work...

Oh... And the Mello-Roos Taxes for the infrastructur... about $500/MONTH per home, plus there was some $95/month for the "Fiber Optic Internet". (Strangly I get it for $40/mo at my current home not inside the SunCal Community.

I know someone who bought, and still gets told that the Promised Infrastructure is coming soon... but basically the only thing that was built was tons, and tons of homes, with no parks, no schools, basically nothing but high fees... paying for basically no services whatsoever.
    Unfortunately, corrupt developers like SunCal are a magnet to equally corrupt government officials. The coupling of the two in cities throughout our nation are crippling infrastructures and leaving citizens footing the bill. This is yet another big reason why the housing industry market has come to a standstill.

Regarding the three councilmembers in favor of rezoning resort land, nobody has brought up the fact that people are not buying homes now - and it may be years before they do. Therefore, their fight is to hamper the expansion of the Disneyland Resort with housing that will sit empty for only God knows how long - with resort area tax dollars going toward servicing waist, instad of investment dollars being used to benefit everyone.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 08-19-2007 at 10:42 PM.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    As I've mentioned elsewhere on MiceChat, if they get to put high-density residential on that old Mobile Home Park land bordering the Strawberry Field, those residents can make noise complaints about the proposed Third Theme Park being built where the Strawberry Field and Katella Cast Member parking lot are now. They might even be able to stop the project cold.

Once they move in, the residents can't be moved elsewhere without massive costs - buying the homes at "current market value" plus relocation payments. Commercial properties don't fall under the same rules.

SunCal wants to make a big killing on buying the "industrial" land cheap, "flipping" it by getting it zoned Residential and ready to develop WITHOUT having to pay for traffic improvements or other assessments, and pocketing a big wad of cash - and stick Disney with all the Resort District area improvement costs, plus devalue Disney's land by denying their rights so put it to it's best use which will be another theme park - they sure don't make that much from the Fujishige family farming the strawberries...

And you just know that the eventual builders of the project will figure out a way around the low-income housing they commit to, the only question being how. The simplest way is to put all those units in the "Last phase of construction" building, and then "Oops!" run out of financing money and have to leave it as open parkspace in the development...

(Certainly won't be the first time a developer pulls a Flim-Flam, takes the money and runs - We have a development near us that was approved, rezoned from agricultural to high density residential with the consent of all the neighboring residential and Condo properties, and constructed under the convenient fiction that they were to be Condominiums for sale... And when they got them built they suddenly "couldn't sell them" and they were turned into Townhome Rentals.)

This whole SunCal deal stinks on ice.

--<< Bruce >>--
    You're right, Bruce. People should have the commom sense and foresight to realize that residential neigbors do not mix with a resort area. They scream and complain - and only spell trouble.