Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• "I Break Things"

Does the Queue make the ride?

This is a random thought from a few threads I've started, or posted on, or just read. Some Attractions like Indy, Splash, Space, Rodger Rabbit, and Jungle (when it has people in it) are fully immersive and really attempt to get you into the theme. Other attractions, most recently Nemo, offer little or no theming. So the first question is does the theme of the queue enhance or detract from the actual ride itself.

Now for those rides that do not have an enclosed queue that hides the line there is another question. Does a longer line entice more people to ride it? Meaning that if there is already a crowd more people think "Hey this must be good" and thereby make the line longer. OR Does a long line persuade people to keep walking? I have a feeling the responses will be different depending on how often you visit the park!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• =)

Re: Does the Queue make the ride?

For the first question, I would say without hesitation that an immersive queue contributes a lot to the enjoyment of the ride. Of all the rides that don't have any sort of official pre-show, Indy strikes me as having the best queue. It totally transports you smoothly out of Adventureland and into a creepy, subterranean temple. This makes the wait more enjoyable, makes the ride feel longer, and gets you in the mood for the ride before you embark. Space Mountain does the same sort of thing, albeit with slightly less complexity. I don't see how queues like these could detract from the ride proper, since it makes the experience seem less brief in the guests' memories and it sets the mood before the ride actually starts.

For your second question, I'd say that a long line is mostly a deterrent. Newcomers mostly base their ride choices on what they've heard from other people, what the rides physically look like, and (in the case of Nemo or any other ride when it's new) advertising campaigns. A long line usually indicates a rightfully popular ride, which means it does draw people in a little...but I think it repels people more strongly.

• Picturing the Magic

Absolutely the queue ADDS to the attraction in such cases like Indy, Space, Splash, etc. I feel that the ride begins once I enter the line because so much work went into the details in the queue that I am always noticing something new. Another reason why the queue adds to the ride is because (especially if someone has never ridden the ride) it builds up the guest's anticipation for the ride. I recently went to Disneyland with my friend who has never been there, and he was in shock about how amazing the queue for Indy is. I am positive that this experience helped him enjoy the ride to a higher degree.

On the other hand, for rides like Nemo without the enclosed lines, less is expected because the guests can not connect to the ride if he does not know what it has to offer. This makes the riding experience more of a hit or miss (again to newer guests).

I think that if an experienced guests knows how to get on rides fast, he will avoid long lines until they mellow down or he will use a fastpass. For a newer guest, he will pulled into atmosphere of the ride because it has a longer line, thus a better ride. Many times I will see Haunted Mansion or POTC with a walk on line, does this mean the ride is bad, absolutely not. It just means that the newcomers are lost in the long lines of other rides.

This is a good thread...

(Sign up and search "Splashmoun10")

I use a Nikon D50 with a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens and a Zoom-Nikkor 70-300m f/4-f/5.6 G

Check out my latest TR (August 4th---August 11th) at Disneyworld!

Check out my latest TR (January 4th) at Disneyland!

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

At least for Indy, the queue has some interactive aspects and something to do while waiting in line like the bamboo pole and the rope. They whould have that in all the queues. I heard that part of the Indy queue was suppose to be part of the experience.

I would have to say that Indy has the best queue line that I have ever been in as the interactive aspects of the line improve the experience of the ride. It also has some of the best theming in the park and is probaly tied with ToT for the best non roller coaster ride at the DLR.

- Zach

• Minion

I absolutely consider the queue part of the experience, especially for major E-ticket attractions like Indiana Jones Adventure, Tower of Terror, or Journey to the Center of the Earth at Tokyo DisneySea. They definitely enhance the experience of the attraction, setting the tone and atmosphere perfectly for the actual ride.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

The queue doesn't MAKE the ride, but a bad queue can certainly cheapen the overall experience. I'd almost want a plain queue than an elaborately done cheap queue.

Star Tours is an example of awesome queue. It was just a breakthrough to have al those awesome animatronics while you wait in line! Absolutely amazing.

Astro Blasters is an example of a cheap queue. Though it has an animatronic and it's awesome... but the rest of the queue is mega crap and I forget how cool the animatronic and the ride was.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

I think Disney's use of the immersive queue makes the whole ride experience something special.

It seems simple doesn't it? I mean, imagine standing in any of the queues for the rides that everyone has mentioned, now imagine those queues being nothing but chain switchbacks out in the blazing sun.(or the rain).

The queue doesn't make or break the ride for me but, given a choice I'll take the themed wait any day. It's one the things that sets Disney parks apart from the rest.

• =)

I just wanted to add a little to my previous comment. I suspect that for many newcomers, there's a sort of bell curve to the positive effects of line length. If the line is really short, the natural reaction will be to think that it's a bad ride. If the line is really long, the natural reaction will be to think that it's a good ride, but not worth it. But if the line is medium-length, it comes off as a popular ride that's worth waiting for.

The fastpass has diminished the impact of a good queue, sadly enough. Yes, we get to ride the ride faster, but we rush by the beautifully done queues. I remember as a kid waiting in line for Space Mountain (WDW-version) and enjoying the queue; now it's a mad rush, a blur, a few memories and bam, on the ride I go. Still, a good queue definitely adds to overall enjoyement of the ride.

• Minion

Well, some are real Queueties

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

It certainly helps, no one really wants to look at a brick wall for an hour.

• Let's all go . . .

649.8 miles from the Happiest Place on Earth!

I love the queue for Indiana Jones and it totally sets the tone for the ride. A funny thing about one of the interactives -- you know, the rope that says 'don't touch' or something and then you pull it and you hear stuff? We were in that queue and pulled the rope, whatever, and then a kid behind us pulled the rope and his mom hysterically said, "It says, 'Don't touch!'" and tried to pull his hands away. Some people just don't get the whole queue idea. We thought it was funny that she was so clueless.

• Closed Account

All of my favorite rides at DLR have a really well themed que, so I would say que theming is key to any E-ticket that wants to be epic.
    My personal experience with long lines is that they don't really affect me much. If a ride I had never been on and did not now much about had a huge line, that wouldn't make me want to ride it any more. I would base whether or not I rode on the name, any desciption in the map, what I could see from outside the que, and possibly asking people who where coming off the ride.

• Wonderful World

There is no doubt that the queue adds to the ride. It gets you excited for the ride. The best no question is the Indy queue
    I'm back MiceChat

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast