Thumbs up GREAT Experience on the Lilly Belle this week

Hey everyone, I'm new here but have been reading a lot lately. I just thought I'd let you all know of a great experience I had last Wednesday at DL. I had read on here that many people had requested rides on the Lilly Belle and had recieved them as part of the YOAMD. I've loved trains since I was little and thought I'd try on this trip to get on.

I told my aunt and girlfriend that it was not guaranteed we would get a ride, but we walked up to the Main St. Station at around 11am and proceeded up the stairs. In a feux-paus made by myself, I went to seek out the oldest male conducter I could find to talk to, assuming he would be buried deep in the station. We passed a nice, late-20's woman wearing a conductors uniform, and my aunt said I should ask her about it. Of course, as I said, I was seeking out an older CM but decided why not. She could tell we were trying to ask someone something and offered to help.

I said "Hi, is there any chance we could get on the Lilly Belle?"

Her answer was "The Lilly Belle? Sure! Come with me."

So we followed her in and I was ecstatic. She showed us the display that shows all the trains' location and said the Lilly Belle would be back in about 10 minutes. After about 5 minutes, an Australian family walked up and asked for the conducter we spoke to by name. Long story short, apparantely this family had had the Belle reserved for that trip. (I'm not sure, but the CMs all swarmed this family, taking pictures for them, giving them engineer hats, etc. so they must have been some sort of VIP)

The conductor then walked back to us with a slight frown on her face and told us the news, but said we could come back in 25 minutes and ride it then. That was fine by us, as we wanted to eat lunch anyway.

So, we sat on the benches out front of the train station people watching, waiting for 11:25 to roll around. At around 11:20 we walked back into the station and asked to see the woman, like she had told us to. The older gentleman working radioed for "Conductor 1" so I assume she has some seniority :-) Anyway, she was coming in on the train with the Lilly Belle.

The train pulled into the station and there was some confusion with another group of people that the conductor had to take care of. We were nervous, as the train was filled and ready to go. Another nice conductor came up to us and asked if we were ready. As she started to lead us to the door, the train whistle blew and we were all afraid it was going to leave without us :-(. We saw the wheels move and I thought we were done for. The train moved forward about 3 feet and stopped.

The conductor had put a stop on all trains just so we could have time to board the Lilly Belle!

She said "I put red lights up all around, so you're good to go!" to the conductor leading us out the door. You can't imagine the feeling of walking from the front of the train to the back, with NO other people boarding but us three. The engineer made an announcement that they had made an unscheduled stop, as we walked by. EVERYONE on the train watched us walk by and get into the Lilly Belle. I have never felt like such a VIP before! They STOPPED the train for us, then personally led us to the Lilly Belle. The three of us had the car completely to ourselves.

After the loop, which was INCREDIBLE in that car, the conductor met us at the door to the car. She said "Sorry you guys about having to wait!" And handed us three front-of-the-line passes for any ride we wanted! For having to wait 25 minutes for something she didn't even need to provide!

We went straight to City Hall and filled out a compliment form for her and the other female conductor who accompanied us.

Sorry for the long first post, but just wanted to share that experience.

THAT is why I want to be a Monorail Pilot in the WDWCP. To make people's days like that.

To "pay it forward," since there were only three of us using a 5 person front-of-line pass on the three rides, we pulled two people out of each line to come to the front with us. When the wait for Splash was 90 minutes at 10:30pm, I'm sure they appreciated it :-)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

Re: GREAT Experience on the Lilly Belle this week

what a wonderful experience! thanks for sharing it with us...i relaly think every once in a while we need to be reminded what a magical place Disneyland still is.

and kudos to you for paying it forward..it makes the whole thing even better!

welcome to Mice Chat!
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

What an awesome experience. And shows it never hurts to ask!!

• Hooterville, USA

There are many things at DL that you can experience if you just ask.

Welcome to MC.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• For You!

How sweet of you to pay it forward!! I'm glad you had a great time!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• FastPass n00b

What an awesome story, thank you for sharing it with us. I didn't know about the Year of a Million Dreams allowing people to ride in the Lilly Belle. I've heard that you can ride with the engineer in the cab of Engine 1 & 2 and that you can ride in the pilot house of the Mark Twain. Has anyone ever done this?

You can also ask to ride in the driver's cab on the Monorail at Disneyland, right? I'm actually surprised that they allow people to do this in today's litigation-proof theme parks. But it is indeed a credit to Disneyland and its staff that they allow people to do these things. What an amazing place.

• FastPass n00b

That's funny about purposely seeking out the oldest male conductor and almost passing the very person that was so willing to help you guys out. It just goes to show you how much faith we sometimes put in stereotypes...it's only natural though, I do it all the time without thinking about it too. I'd be kind of curious to find out what kind of a person the old man was. For all we know, he could've been grouchy and unwilling.

But besides being a wonderful story, it's also a really good lesson on judging people before you know them.

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

What a wonderful story and it was so nice of you to make magic for strangers. Welcome to MC, have fun here!

To Athlonacon, I've been fortunate enough to steer the Mark Twain in TDL. I am so short that I couldn't see out of the windows and had a little box to stand on. A Japanese CM friend of mine set it up.

• Wonderful World

An awesome story, thats what makes Disneyland so magical
    I'm back MiceChat

• Main Gypsy

Cool story!

• Second Star to the right.

Second Star to the Right and Straight on Till Morning

Was this the young woman that you saw?

If so, that was Posh Spice ( Victoria Beckham ) and David Beckham's wife.

She was with her children on a surprise visit to DL last week.
    Check out my flickr photos!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Lee View Post
    Was this the young woman that you saw?

If so, that was Posh Spice ( Victoria Beckham ) and David Beckham's wife.

She was with her children on a surprise visit to DL last week.

No it was an older couple, but very young children. If Posh had been right there, the Lilly Belle would have been the last thing on my mind, lol

Although I will admit she does always look mighty angry
    Last edited by WannaBaPilot; 08-19-2007 at 07:35 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful story with us about your trip on the Lily Belle! And that was a very cool thing that you did with the front-of-line passes. There really is magic at Disneyland.

awww, goosebumps!! That was a great story. My brother is such a rail & Disney fan, he probably would have been choked up the entire trip around DL!!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

What a great story! And so awesome of you to compliment and then pay it forward.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...