Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• That Guy

Question First Trip to DLR. Stay @ DLR Hotel?

Hi, first thanks so much for the amazing tips from everyone.

I'm taking my Mom (63) and two brothers ( 21 & 22) to DLR Sept. 5-8th. I am trying to decide which hotel to stay at. They have NEVER been to DLR.

I think HoJos is a solid bet, I have stayed there a few times, and I have also stayed at GCH at PP.

My question is, do you guys think it is worth the extra money to stay at either GCH or DLH (PP was lame, so it is out of the running)? My first trip there I stayed at GCH and it was really cool. I think it was a bit over-rated but still really cool, and the proximity was nice. A couple of factors here:

-We are going Labor day - Thur Sept 8. It doesn't sound like the extra stuff (fireworks, et al.) will be happening, so that lends itself to staying at GCH or DLH

-They have NEVER been there, so maybe there would be more 'magic' With DLR closing early each night, there won’t be much to do at a regular hotel, but if we stay close to DD there will be more choices

Thanks for all the tips, I truly appreciate it!

• That Guy

Re: First Trip to DLR. Stay @ DLR Hotel?

Sweet! 12 views and no one has an opinion?

Good times.

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

I would definatley choose a DL resort hotel if it won't put a strain on your finances. DL Hotel has great themed rooms and they are good sized compared to other hotels. There is also a lot to do around the hotel. However, on the outside the DL Hotel is rather bland looking and appears like your average high ride hotel. The Grand CA on the other hand is a GREAT Disney themed hotel through and through. The entire hotel carries out the early 1900's "arts and crafts" theme. Either hotel will make your DL trip a little bit more magical. plus, both are so close that you can hop back to your room when you want.

However, there are a lot of other very cose hotels to DL that are nice, especially if you can't really afford the extra cost of a Disney room.
    WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

• That Guy

Thanks for the input. I think money won't be a problem, I have learned that my Dad wants to pay for everything, which is so kind of him. I think I will take the money that he would have put towards a regular hotel and apply that towards GCH. I need to start looking for rates, I hope it isn't too sky high.

• Banned User

I do not think the extra money to stay at DLH is worth it. You're paying a lot more for a room that is very on par with rooms that are across the street.

Now, if we're talking GCH..... That is WAY more money, but the rooms are WAY nicer.

• Head Churro Tester

I stayed at the Marriott across the street 7 years ago. The past 6 years we have stayed at The Disneyland Hotel. I wouldn't stay anywhere else.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot

• That Guy

I am so torn. I have been looking online at various hotels, and it is also kinda tricky to judge how far the walk will REALLY be, you know? I know when I was looking at HoJos, everyone complained about the walk, but it was nothing at all.

Does anyone know anything about the Desert Palms Hotel? It looks pretty nice online, but it also seems like a hike.

What to do, what to do?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer
    Sweet! 12 views and no one has an opinion?

Good times.
    Only posted for 25 mins and this? Maybe these 12 views havent stayed there?
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• That Guy

Perhaps, but you guys know everything! I know it is a boring question, but I really want this to be a special trip for my family.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer
    I am so torn. I have been looking online at various hotels, and it is also kinda tricky to judge how far the walk will REALLY be, you know? I know when I was looking at HoJos, everyone complained about the walk, but it was nothing at all.

Does anyone know anything about the Desert Palms Hotel? It looks pretty nice online, but it also seems like a hike.

What to do, what to do?
    Anaheim Desert Inn. Right across the street. Rooms are decent. $129 for a "Parlor Suite", 2 queens in one room, a separate smaller room with a sofa bed. The Palms is a bit of a walk. Close for walking: Park Vue Inn, Anaheim Desert Inn, Del Sol, Tropicana, Park Place Inn, Park Inn, and Carousel Inn.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• That Guy

Mal, Thanks so much, I will check it out right now. I looked at DLH and it is like $205 per night, but it doesn't say what kind of room, and I would probably need like two queens with a sofa bed, so maybe I will scratch that plan...

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

I am a HoJo fan....

The walk from the Desert Palms isn't that much further than the walk to HoJo's. The Candy Cane Inn and HoJo's are the same basic distance (as is the PPH), all about 3/4 of a mile. The Desert Palms is just around the corner from the CCI.

And I don't think the GCH is worth the money...

Let's look at some reviews...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...alifornia.html

You will notice that many folks complain about the size of the room (small), and that the service isn't that hot...

I would go back to HoJo's, or stay at the Disneyland Hotel.
    Last edited by Darkbeer; 07-08-2005 at 02:13 PM. Reason: typos
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Disney fans for life!

We have stayed at the DL Resort Hotels for the past 10 years or so regularly, about three-one week trips per year, and have never paid more than $139/night. Usually it is between $79-119/night. (AP discount, reserving in advance)

Even with the 50th hoopla, we stayed there last month for a week in the Sierra Tower for $109/night and $119 for friday.

Call back and see what discounts they are offering (AAA, promotional, etc). $205 sounds like rack-rate.

We prefer staying right in the middle of it all...

• That Guy

There are so many options. Does DLH offer multiple beds with a sofa bed? I like the suite idea that Mal pointed out. DLH would be cool though since it is so close to DD.

• Tourist

I recommend that you try the GCH. We stayed there last year just before Labor Day, and we had a great time. I think GCH would be a nice treat for your family's first visit.

That was the week the resort hotels started giving guests a 4th night free. The weather was warm, and we went swimming every afternoon. And the parks were not crowded on the non-holiday weekdays. Now that I think about it, I wish we were going back again this September...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast