Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,206

    Disney visits Oregon Theme Park to check out a trackless ride.

    http://www.coasterbuzz.com/2007-232-20334.htm

    Scroll down and read the message board comments. I found this one very interesting and discouraging.

    From Coaterbuzz.com's SONiC Senshi:

    The system on Pooh's Hunny Hunt at Tokyo Disneyland is very expensive and complicated. The technology can best be simplified as an "indoor GPS", which involves trasmiting data to the vehicles through titles on the attraction floor. This other system that WDI is looking into sounds like a much cheaper alternative that doesn't require Oriental Land Company's deep pockets. ^_^

  2. #2

    •   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    1157 miles from home
    Posts
    4,892

    Re: Disney visits Oregon Theme Park to check out a trackless ride.

    There's a theme park in Oregon?
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

    "Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"
    * * *


  3. #3

    • Collision speed....FULL!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,663

    Re: Disney visits Oregon Theme Park to check out a trackless ride.

    Quote Originally Posted by tinkermonkey View Post
    There's a theme park in Oregon?
    They sure do, we pass it everytime when we drive to and from Canada.

    Here's their website.

  4. #4

    • Collision speed....FULL!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,663

    Re: Disney visits Oregon Theme Park to check out a trackless ride.

    Here's a bit on the attraction Disney is looking at...



    Seems a lot like how WDW's TOT works in the 3rd dimension section.
    Last edited by Nautilus; 08-20-2007 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Hotlinked picture Removed. Hotlinking is not allowed.

  5. #5

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,206

    Re: Disney visits Oregon Theme Park to check out a trackless ride.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    Here's a bit on the attraction Disney is looking at...



    Seems a lot like how WDW's TOT works in the 3rd dimension section.

    I am sure it is a great ride for Enchanted Forest, it may be a good ride for any theme park. The problem is, I highly doubt it is as good as TDL's Pooh, which means us Americans might be getting the short end of the stick once again. For a small park to build a cheaper version of TDL's Pooh is fine, but I expect only the best from Disney.

  6. #6

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    426

    Re: Disney visits Oregon Theme Park to check out a trackless ride.

    That technology has been around in rides for over 40 years, and was originally done by Arrow, who made pretty much all the early Disney rides. Sally dark rides exist that use trackless multi-path technology for a tiny fraction of what Tokyo's Pooh cost, but there are different limits, mainly involving practical use of multiple vehicles together the way Pooh does.

    edit: Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure ETF built the cars for Challenge of Tutankhamen, the trackless Sally ride I'm thinking of.

  7. #7

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,722

    Re: Disney visits Oregon Theme Park to check out a trackless ride.

    Isn't this the same technology used to move the parade floats??

    -Jojo

  8. #8

    • Magic Making
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    511

    Re: Disney visits Oregon Theme Park to check out a trackless ride.

    The floats have drivers in them. They are basically large vehicles.
    Last edited by SparkyLD; 08-20-2007 at 10:25 PM.

  9. #9

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Twin City
    Posts
    9,509

    Re: Disney visits Oregon Theme Park to check out a trackless ride.

    Question: How reliable is this compared to the 'indoor GPS' on Pooh? And I'm talking about downtime and maitenance and such.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

  10. #10

    • Awaken the spirits
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Regions beyond
    Posts
    745

    Re: Disney visits Oregon Theme Park to check out a trackless ride.

    Is this how Toy Story Mania is going to be?

  11. #11

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,466

    Re: Disney visits Oregon Theme Park to check out a trackless ride.

    Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    Question: How reliable is this compared to the 'indoor GPS' on Pooh? And I'm talking about downtime and maitenance and such.
    My understanding is that the GPS system on Tokyo's Pooh leaves a lot to be desired. The downtime is quite frequint, and it is a maintenance nightmare.

    We can dispute which system Disney will ultimately incorporate into new trackless rides. It spells nothing but g-o-o-d, the fact that the company is window shopping and taking a look at the Enchant Village's Challenge of Mendor. DLR and WDW are certain to get trackless rides in the future - and which ever system they adopt will make me happy!

    I also look forward to Disney building a flume/coaster in the future - one that will make SeaWorld's Journey To Atlantis look like Dumbo in comparison. I see this move being more likely either a part of the coming frontierland expansion, or else the DCA facelift.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  12. #12

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,466

    Re: Disney visits Oregon Theme Park to check out a trackless ride.

    Quote Originally Posted by Madame_Leota View Post
    Is this how Toy Story Mania is going to be?
    I don't know. No information has been released by Glendale or WDI that TSM will utilize trackless technology. However, you just never know about Disney. They are certainly sparing no expense as they redesign DCA - a new name will be forthcoming as well, sure as Disney-MGM recently became Disney's Hollywood Studios.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  13. #13

    • Santa Barbara, CA
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,624

    Re: Disney visits Oregon Theme Park to check out a trackless ride.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    That technology has been around in rides for over 40 years, and was originally done by Arrow, who made pretty much all the early Disney rides. Sally dark rides exist that use trackless multi-path technology for a tiny fraction of what Tokyo's Pooh cost, but there are different limits, mainly involving practical use of multiple vehicles together the way Pooh does.

    edit: Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure ETF built the cars for Challenge of Tutankhamen, the trackless Sally ride I'm thinking of.

    There are many ways to achieve the effect but comparing Pooh to the others is "apples and oranges". Pooh controls and mixes up to 6 vehicles interacting with one another on different paths without a wire at one time in the same room.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

    [FONT=Arial Narrow]

  14. #14

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,291

    Re: Disney visits Oregon Theme Park to check out a trackless ride.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    My understanding is that the GPS system on Tokyo's Pooh leaves a lot to be desired. The downtime is quite frequint, and it is a maintenance nightmare.
    I'm not sure about that. Pooh's Hunny Hunt does not break down very often, certainly not as often as Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland. I don't know if it is harder to maintain than other attractions, but I have my doubts. According to sources, the system works by directional data being relayed from a master control computer directly to each individual honey pot car through a complicated matrix embedded within the actual floor tiles.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~


  15. #15

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,466

    Re: Disney visits Oregon Theme Park to check out a trackless ride.

    Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    I'm not sure about that. Pooh's Hunny Hunt does not break down very often, certainly not as often as Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland. I don't know if it is harder to maintain than other attractions, but I have my doubts. According to sources, the system works by directional data being relayed from a master control computer directly to each individual honey pot car through a complicated matrix embedded within the actual floor tiles.
    I heard the negativity from Lance Hart over at Screamscape. If the trackless tech works well at TDL, then I hope that we get new Disneyland ride systems that are it's equal, or else a hybrid merger of technologies such as with systems like the one at Enchanted Forest.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 08-21-2007 at 12:34 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Idea] "Disney Sea West" 3rd Theme Park - Ride Along The Perimeter
    By Ride Warrior in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-19-2009, 12:53 PM
  2. Types of trackless ride systems
    By Weekly-Visitor in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-23-2008, 04:43 PM
  3. Trackless WALL-E-Ticket Ride?
    By Ride Warrior in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 12-31-2007, 02:15 AM
  4. Disney Looks Into "Trackless" Ride System
    By tjcjr in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-20-2007, 07:46 AM
  5. Investors still keen to ride theme park craze,ChinaDaily,2006-7-25
    By HongKongDisneyland in forum Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2006, 01:34 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •