Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

One of DCA's Bigggest Mistakes

“The more I go to other amusement parks in all parts of the world, the more I am convinced of the wisdom of the original concepts of Disneyland. I mean, have a single entrance through which all the traffic would flow, then a hub off which the various areas were situated. That gives people a sense of orientation – they all know where they are at all times. And it saves a lot of walking.” - - Walt Disney

How can they fix - or at least improve - the awful layout of DCA?

Re: One of DCA's Bigggest Mistakes

Well honestly, all they would need to do is take out It's a Bugs Land, use the old pathway to like to Hollywood backlot and Paradise Pier and you have some type of central hub in that area.

They really can't do more than that since GRR is going to stay and that already has the pathway around it on two sides. I think they need to add another enterence to Hollywood Studios but besides that, I don't think it's that bad.

A little walking doesn't hurt.

- Zach

Nah, it's fine...the original intent was to have it reflect the way it is in California...
    Have you not seen the map of California with the freeway/highway laid out?!?!? They incorporated that into DCA perfectly!!!

Plan in the next fiscal year was to build a connection between Tower of Terror and Fliks Fun Fair as part of the "place making" that reshaped the Hollywood Backlot. I don't know how it falls into the revised DCA plan.

• Collision speed....FULL!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starbuck View Post
    Plan in the next fiscal year was to build a connection between Tower of Terror and Fliks Fun Fair as part of the "place making" that reshaped the Hollywood Backlot. I don't know how it falls into the revised DCA plan.
    Yes indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by ScarLion View Post
    Nah, it's fine...the original intent was to have it reflect the way it is in California...
    Have you not seen the map of California with the freeway/highway laid out?!?!? They incorporated that into DCA perfectly!!!

Along these same lines, if they want to make the "San Francisco" area more like MY hometown, they need to make it so you can't turn left ANYWHERE!

Oh come on...it's not really that bad. Besides the dead end at TOT the park has a really nice flow.

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

IMHO DCA is fine with out a hub, let disneyland have it cause it's one more thing that makes disneyland special
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starbuck View Post
    But how is this going to be possible? There is a road in between Flik's and Hollywood Studios. I guess they can't take it out because of emergencies with ambulances and such and it's way way too small to make a tunnel.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• "I Break Things"

I think of DCA like a local mall... easy access to shops and restrooms and that's about it!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• been away for a while

Carson City Nevada , no it's not near Vegas

yeah , the layout doesn't bother me , after being to WDW in Florida MGM (oops sorry Disney Hollywood Studios ) doesn't have a "hub" Epcot is kind of weird and spread out , not to mention the World Showcase is a big loop with lots of walking involved if you are in say Canada and want to walk over to Norway. Animal kingdom has the Tree Of Life but it's hardly a "hub" and Expedition Everest seems like it's a hike and a half to get out to.

i like the layout of DCA , i think because it's so spread out this only enhances the theming , IE when you are in the Hollywood area you cant see Paradise Pier , and vice versa

My Maleficent tattoo

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

It is fairly easy to do, you just need to push some of the backstage area back.

Here is an aerial photo with the area that needs to be converted to public use.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1248263

Disney just loses a few parking spaces, and you just start the parade at the south end, just past the current ToT back gate (near the FP entrance).

And if you spend the money to make the Backlot Main Entrance sign actually rise (as originally planned), you could have the parade go thru the Hollywood Backlot area first (turn right thru the ToT area.

And with the area to the public, and building a new entrance to Flik's Fun Fair near the Flik's Flyers, you now have a pathway between the area and the ToT entrance.

Another option is to just open up the area between TOT and Flik's Flyers, and make the Backlot sign rise. You could leave most of the parking spaces (though access would only be allowed when the park is closed or in case of emergency) and then the parade route would start or end at the South end and go thru the Backlot area.

It is possible, and not really that expensive.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Just this guy......

Funny, I thought that their biggest mistake was to spend more money on the shops than on the attractions.

D.C.A. needs to make the intersection of walkways near the Palace of Fine Arts replica more prominent.

I can visualize there a sculpture of some sort dedicated to the mythical Califia. That area also deserves a name of some sort.

The only really awkward part of the layout for me is the area near The Twilight Zone, so I do hope that that space is addressed when the park is redesigned.

More landmarks are needed to help guests navigate, and, naturally, a few clear "wienies" are required at junctures where guests are forced to make choices.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast