Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Why the Pirate Ship was so important

>>The area aroud SW and SBL has changed a lot since the FL redo, thanks to the Light Magic plaza.<<

Yeah, but who needs that or uses that? A: Nobody!

>>So I guess the MBC area would be ok but, then you'll have the ship sitting infront of the Matterhorn and under the Monorail.<<

Cool!

>>Anyway, would you want the ship back as just a static display, a restaurant or as an interactive area?<<

Interactive area would be nice - - I always loved playing on and below the Pirate Ship decks. I loved snacking next to the Skull Rock waterfalls too, but that can just mean a cart or snack bar these days...

• I love my family!

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    Interactive area would be nice - - I always loved playing on and below the Pirate Ship decks. I loved snacking next to the Skull Rock waterfalls too, but that can just mean a cart or snack bar these days...
    If they were to cut the towers out of SW mall and build the ship between the east side of the mall and the Monorail beam it would be a great use of unused area and very cool eye candy.

I just don't think the suits could do an interactive area that would be fun and creative without the entire ship being made out of rubber for our protection but, I would like to see them try.

Tony said he was looking at plusing the areas that need it before jumping into any new projects so, one can only hope.

In reality the ship was basically a restaurant, but WOW what a theme for a restaurant. I'd so much rather have a beautifuly detailed pirate ship to buy a tuna sandwich from than some boring ODV cart.

When the ship and Skull Rock were both there, My brother and I used to love that area. That was one of those classic places within the park where you were able to get that tactile sense of "another world". It went a long way toward creating that immersive environment that we all love so much.

I would love to see Tony Baxter bring the ship and Skull Rock back in some fine fashion.

• Minion

>>Tony said he was looking at plusing the areas that need it before jumping into any new projects so, one can only hope.<<

I hope so. I think it would mean a lot to him too to bring it back.

On that eye candy/placemaking level, I'd love to see the Nautilus somewhere as well, and Cinderella's coach (they did both of these beautifully at DLP) and waterfalls at the Rivers of America again.

• Small Worlds of Walt

Anyone who's gone to see a recent Disney feature will notice how Hook's ship is included as an icon of the company. The Walt Disney Pictures logo moves from Hook's ship on a river, to a steam train, to finally ending on a castle.

If the ship were not so important to the Disney image don't you think it would have been omitted?

Its a little blurry on youtube but look for it next time you see it on the big screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOvLsFKrvaM

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    >>Tony said he was looking at plusing the areas that need it before jumping into any new projects so, one can only hope.<<

I hope so. I think it would mean a lot to him too to bring it back.

On that eye candy/placemaking level, I'd love to see the Nautilus somewhere as well, and Cinderella's coach (they did both of these beautifully at DLP) and waterfalls at the Rivers of America again.
    Agree that it would be great to have these somewhere, but the Nautilus would be a hard
    fit (unless WDI makes Discovery Bay).

The return of some waterfalls in RoA would be very nice.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Heh...for those keeping score at home, we don't always agree...I offer evidence:
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...t=74602&page=3
    I'm a huge merlinjones fan. I always agree with his posts because they are always good!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F View Post
    Anyone who's gone to see a recent Disney feature will notice how Hook's ship is included as an icon of the company. The Walt Disney Pictures logo moves from Hook's ship on a river, to a steam train, to finally ending on a castle.

If the ship were not so important to the Disney image don't you think it would have been omitted?

Its a little blurry on youtube but look for it next time you see it on the big screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOvLsFKrvaM
    No doubt in my mind that it was important *at the time*.

It's still has nice subliminal tones, but nothing IMHO that justifies moving three attractions (Casey Jr, SBL, carrousel for the sight lines) to serve as a secondary "weenie". for FL.

Having said that I would like to see it return as a themed restaurant since I've never eaten there. (skipped over it when I was a kid/teenager) and I've always loved Peter Pan.

Best. chocloate cake. EVER.

• I love my family!

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    No doubt in my mind that it was important *at the time*.

It's still has nice subliminal tones, but nothing IMHO that justifies moving three attractions (Casey Jr, SBL, carrousel for the sight lines) to serve as a secondary "weenie". for FL.

Having said that I would like to see it return as a themed restaurant since I've never eaten there. (skipped over it when I was a kid/teenager) and I've always loved Peter Pan.

I like the placement merlin and I were talking about, tear down the LM towers and eat part of the SW mall. It would actually be a great place for a new character dinning restaurant, they could also have premium seating for the parade which means even more money.

Quote Originally Posted by whitestrat View Post
    I would love to see Tony Baxter bring the ship and Skull Rock back in some fine fashion.
    He did. Just not here in the U.S. of A.

http://parks.disneylandparis.co.uk/d...ate-ship.xhtml

• Minion

>>He did. Just not here in the U.S. of A.

http://parks.disneylandparis.co.uk/d...ate-ship.xhtml<<

Now it needs to return to Disneyland.

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    He did. Just not here in the U.S. of A.

http://parks.disneylandparis.co.uk/d...ate-ship.xhtml

Lucky bums.

I liked the way DL's Skull Rock looked more than that one, but I would take it just the same.

I'm not sure if it is true or not, but I read somewhere that Walt visited Tivoli Gardens, an amusement park in Copenhagen Denmark that was founded in 1843 (That's right: 1843!), when he was thinking about the design of Disneyland. There he found, as would you if you'd go today, a Pirate Ship restaurant. You walk out the gang plank and dine inside. I was fortunate to go and see it as well as eat inside. It is very cool and reminded me very much of the pictures I've seen of the ship in old Fantasyland.

Here is a couple of images of it I found on Google:

http://www.gagme.com/greg/vacation/2...n=tivoli09.jpg

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/Hom...enmark-08.html

Really beautiful...
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyandme67 View Post
    I'm not sure if it is true or not, but I read somewhere that Walt visited Tivoli Gardens, an amusement park in Copenhagen Denmark that was founded in 1843 (That's right: 1843!), when he was thinking about the design of Disneyland. There he found, as would you if you'd go today, a Pirate Ship restaurant. You walk out the gang plank and dine inside. I was fortunate to go and see it as well as eat inside. It is very cool and reminded me very much of the pictures I've seen of the ship in old Fantasyland.

Here is a couple of images of it I found on Google:

http://www.gagme.com/greg/vacation/2...n=tivoli09.jpg

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/Hom...enmark-08.html

Really beautiful...
    Wow, that is beautiful. Yes Mr. Baxter, we'll take one just like that please.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast