Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Minion

Re: Why the Pirate Ship was so important

The Pirate Ship also makes me think of this old tag line from "Peter Pan" advertising: "It will live in your heart forever..."

Captain Hook and Mr. Smee chased me around Skull Rock back in 1969 - - I loved it! That was my favorite movie at the time, having just been re-issued the year before.

• "I Break Things"

Would it be possible to place a new one in the old Motorboat lagoon? I never knew it so I am not sure of the size of the place. Also would that conflict with the theme or would Matterhorn be able to block it?
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Santa Barbara, CA

The only regretful thing about these big icons is that there is really no payoff. The Castle is the same way. You see it from afar and when you get inside it there is not much to it. That SB walk thru was a dud IMHO. I heard once they wanted to put a dragon like DLP in there and that would have been great. WDI must have realized this as the latter Castles (sans HKDL) all have something to do in them. It would have been nice if the Pirate Ship would have been incorporated into a new entrance and shaded queue for the Peter Pan Ride (how cool would that have been? after all it's the biggest icon for the story and where you'd expect to find a ride on Pan. At the same time redo Storybookland and the Canals to work around a rockwork show building that creates a more immersive backdrop for the villages) then they could have done a different dark ride across from Snow White. It would have been less likely to be moved.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Minion

>>The only regretful thing about these big icons is that there is really no payoff. The Castle is the same way. You see it from afar and when you get inside it there is not much to it. <<

I disagree completely. My very favorite things at Disneyland were and are the immersive setpieces. Sleeping Beauty Castle, Pirate Ship/Skull Rock, Tiki Room and Lanai, (the original) Swiss Family Treehouse, Golden Horseshoe, Mark Twain, the old Tahitian Terrace. Those are the things that delight me the most - - often I just absorb these things on a trip to the park and skip rides entirely.

I'd like to see more like this: the Nautilus, Cinderella's Coach, Mary Poppins tea garden. I love that kind of stuff. Disneyland Paris had lots of places like that - - very charming.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    >>The only regretful thing about these big icons is that there is really no payoff. The Castle is the same way. You see it from afar and when you get inside it there is not much to it. <<

I disagree completely. My very favorite things at Disneyland were and are the immersive setpieces. Sleeping Beauty Castle, Pirate Ship/Skull Rock, Tiki Room and Lanai, (the original) Swiss Family Treehouse, Golden Horseshoe, Mark Twain, the old Tahitian Terrace. Those are the things that delight me the most - - often I just absorb these things on a trip to the park and skip rides entirely.

I'd like to see more like this: the Nautilus, Cinderella's Coach, Mary Poppins tea garden. I love that kind of stuff. Disneyland Paris had lots of places like that - - very charming.
    Hmm. I find it hard to not prefer icons that are better executed with more scope. So you prefer the setpieces with nothing going on. Ok.

I'm not saying don't have them, I'm saying make them better and have a payoff. The Nautilus at DLP is something you can visit, it pays off.
    As in screenwriting, you foreshadow and then payoff. Create an expectation and show someone something in the distance and then you get there and it exceeds the tease. Swiss Family Treehouse was good as there was lots ot explore.
    Last edited by Cousin Orville; 09-01-2007 at 08:34 AM.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Minion

>>I'm not saying don't have them, I'm saying make them better and have a payoff. The Nautilus at DLP is something you can visit, it pays off. As in screenwriting, you foreshadow and then payoff. Create an expectation and show someone something in the distance and then you get there and it exceeds the tease. Swiss Family Treehouse was good as there was lots ot explore.<<

Ideally, yes, you should be able to explore it. But you could do that with the old Pirate Ship - - the entire deck and below deck of the ship was available to play on (what wasn't part of the snack stand) - much moreso that the Paris version. It was very fun.

Along those lines, I'd also like to see a more immersive Swiss Family Treehouse with interactive pirate defenses and animatronic animals.

• no flash photography...

I miss the pirate ship. It was one of my childhood favorites along with the skyway. I do wonder if I would still like it as an adult. I mean sometimes I have such vivid childhood memories, but when i revisit the locations as an adult they really fall short.

My mother still talks about the tuna sandwich from there and I always got the chocolate cake.

• Minion

Waterfalls are really important too. Skull Rock provided the joy and comfort of flowing water in the Fantasyland area. We need that back - - Disneyland has lost too many of its waterfalls (Skull Rock, Cascade Peak, Tomorrowland entrance, etc.).
    Last edited by merlinjones; 09-01-2007 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    Waterfalls are really important too. Skull Rock provided the joy and comfort of flowing water in the Fantasyland area. We need that back - - Disneyland has lost too many of its watefalls (Skull Rock, Cascade Peak, Tomorrowland entrance, etc.).
    I totally agree, I think they have a wonderful affect on the ambiance of an area.
    I always take a little pause by the one on Pirate's Lair/TSI, theres something very soothing about cascading water.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
    It would have been nice if the Pirate Ship would have been incorporated into a new entrance and shaded queue for the Peter Pan Ride (how cool would that have been? after all it's the biggest icon for the story and where you'd expect to find a ride on Pan.
    This is just personal opinion, but I love the way the current Fantasyland village theme fits. I would be worried that if you start making individualized entrances then you'd have a similar problem to Tomorrowland... where it's more or less a hodge podge of buildings instead of an actual land.

• Hooterville, USA

Put the ship on TSI and make it worth while to visit the island.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    This is just personal opinion, but I love the way the current Fantasyland village theme fits. I would be worried that if you start making individualized entrances then you'd have a similar problem to Tomorrowland... where it's more or less a hodge podge of buildings instead of an actual land.

Generally agree, leave the Village, but in this case it would be between Flying Elephants and Monstro.

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
    Generally agree, leave the Village, but in this case it would be between Flying Elephants and Monstro.
    Ahh Pan in another spot, where the ship used to be (general area) now I understand. I was under the impression you meant the old boat at the Entrance of Pan's current location.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234