• D'LAND BIRTH YEAR BABY

I remember why I dont go to Disneyland Resort in the Summer on a weekend...

This trip was a lark , my dd and I have been jokingly refering to get into the car for weeks now and go to the resort from Nocal.
    She talked me into it, she made me do it....lame excuse to get her son's birth certificate at the Santa Ana co court house for insurance porposes needed by September first.
    I am a firm believer in planning planning planning, and making sure I have the funds and time avaliable for a well deserved leisurely visit.
    Not this time, I own my own business and time off takes major planning. I could on short notice only take a short amount of time off thus fri, sat , sunday and monday was the best I could do.
    Funds well lets just say on impulse I could not do one of the on property Hotels. So I could live with that and opted for the Candy Cane Inn ( it always looked cute to me and the reviews were great).
    We left with an almost three and almost one year old , the ride to socal was a ok the kiddies were great.We knew we could not go into the parks on friday since to keep cost down we opted for 2 day park hoppers. My dd lived on Chapman until last September and we both had ap's previously so we were ok with 2 days. We arrived and went to one of her favorite eateries the Beach Hut BBQ in Costa Mesa (?) for dinner and to then to do some quick shopping in Newport beach. We checked into the CCI and tried to upgrade but for 74.00 a night more decided that a contiental breakfast delivered and free movie rentals wasnt worth the cost ( the first desk person said 40.00 per night and I was ok with that , but then his supervisor stopped him and said no it was 74.00 just as he was starting to run my credit card). The room was clean and we took the kids to the kiddie pool for a quick dip and all was good.Nevermind that I was missing the DLH, the GCH and even PPH.
    Saturday morning we went to grab the free breakfast on the way out and there was no way that one we could navigate a stroller thru the room serving , keep a hand on a 2 year old, nor find a table inside or outside to eat. Plan B we grab some food and sit out in the front area , I wait with the kiddies, my dd goes to grab a donut and some fruit and we eat...not to be nothing left. Its now 35 mins later and the motel bus is going to the park and we are going to. We only took one stroller for the little one and decided we would get a stroller at the park for the older one so that we could hold 2 kiddies and a stroller , we get on and off the bus without the help of the driver lugging the stroller up the stairs and down with the help of very helpful and wonderful hotel guest.. as the driver says to take the stroller to the back we apologized in advance if we got any toes in the process . On to Disneyland and breakfast.... the Plaza Inn breakfast was ok some food good some not so good. The character interaction was good .My dd stopped at city hall and got an assistance pass since my oldest grandson is on the autism spectrum and is on siezure meds which prevent him from much sunlight exposre and with the heat she didnt want to risk any problems.
    We did a lot of rides including Nemo, all of Fantasyland and basically any ride he could go on, including the Matterhorn . I purchased the water bottle fan, mister which is not a normal purchase that I would make , to cool off the kiddies. We put the sunshade up on his stroller to block the sun even though he kept trying to push it up to see the sights. I loved being here with him and its a an awesome experience seeing DL through the eyes of a child again. Riding the Mark Twain was wonderous once again and his thrill rides are anything to do with Trains , we sat in the last car before the Lilly Belle so I was thrilled getting a peek in the window , and he loved saying " all aboard" leaving every station. The Casey Jr was a favorite and on ISW he was so intent on seeing everything striking up a conversation was impossible , he was busy! Nemo was great for him at the beginning he was asking wheres Nemo??? He found him, and we all knew it.
    We did not stay till closing with 2 little ones its not the time for die hard end of the day till the very end days..... The little one liked the rides he could go on but was just as thrilled watching the birds eat popcorn off the ground by his stroller! Best souviener of the day Silhouettes of the boys.
    We took the bus back once again with driver watching us carry 2 boys and one stroller down the stairs , with another wonderful guest of the motel helping. My dd stopped at the office and said they needed a better stroller system either helpful drivers or perhaps an area under the bus to put strollers in??? We then drove to IHOP for a quiet bite to eat, the oldest didnt make it for food and laid his head down on the table and went to sleep ahh so cute. When we got back to our room we found a nice not appologizing for the inconvience and a menu to fill out that they would bring breakfast to our room . Its good when people make things right, its not a huge deal but for my dd and I with 2 kiddies this was a major gesture.
    Day two Bats Day , no biggie , give me Bats any day , but make the humid heat go away!!!! We started at DCA, we knew it would be limited , no Tower of Terror , Soarin, Grizzley for us. We did Playhouse Disney, Monster and all of Flicks Fun Fair! I had noticed a little tidbit souvineer at Disneyanna I wanted but they were out of stock ... but Off the Page had it! The Tinkerbell shadowbox that lights up, so I got it , I had just purchased a train with the characters for my grandson right before and honestly didnt think. I am so use to having purchases sent back to our room on site , but it was great to find out that I could take all purchases to Engineers toys and have them held for me and then if need be transfer them to the newstand at DL for holding.
    We met up with a lifelong friend of my dds and mine and her boyfriend at Flicks fun fair, ok so at this point we are dying in the heat and humidity ( keep in mind we live in Placer co and its always HOT but not this Humid) we walked to the pier and they all did Screamin while I waited with the boys and water misted them down. They went on the merry go round. The rest of DCA was just too hot , I never realized how much sun shines on DCA . We picked up our packages and I am thinking kids, strollers, packages no way are we going back to the motel later with all of that so I slipped out and took the purchases back to the motel and let the others go on to DL , both kids were also asleep in their strollers. I met up with them about an hour and half later. The oldest wanted to ride the autopia again and what started as saying he wanted to ride the "mono" eventually became ride the "monarail" which is a good thing getting him to express himself in full words. My dd wanted to celebrate their birthdays which are both 2 weeks away so we rode the monarail to the GCH for dinner at Storytellers she made reservations from the monarail . What was suppose to be an hour wait whittled down to 10 minutes by the time we got there . They were out of the Buzz birthday buckets so the treated the boys with the birthday Mickey chocolate ears with sprinkles its was so much fun! The almost one year old I swear ate us all under the table , he ate mac n cheese, mashed potatoes, carrots and zuchinni from our buffett plates with alittle chicken for good measure and chocolate and more of the Mickey chocolate birthday ears and was a major mess. We changed all of him before going back to the park! We did Nemo one more time and since it had been down with the power outage earlier in the day I was a little aprehensive at the end of the ride when the spiel ended and " beneath the sea" began playing and we sat there and sat there and my dd says I wonder if its broke again???? I nudged her and say shsh... then we were moving again thank goodness. They werent on a couple more rides in Fantasyland while I stayed with the little one and a nice lady took out picture for me in the picture op teacup. I tried to convince everyone that I took him on a teacup spin. We were going to go on Casey one more time and the oldest opted out we asked if he wanted to ride Casey Jr, he said no he wanted to ride in his stroller! He was done which was way ok with us .Once again we encountered the bad stroller problem , we had to return it, there was a sleeping child in it. My dd decided to put the little one in the baby bijorn and transfer the older one to our stroller... he woke up cranky, and crying. I let him pick out a lollypop at the last stand and he was good to go with that all the way to the shuttle bus and to the motel. when we got there he handed it over and went to sleep.
    It was a good trip.
    It reconfirmed some of my basic beliefs:
    If at all possible dont go in the summer on a weekend, I told my dd , when your kids are older take them out of school to go off season or at the very least in the middle of the week.
    Call me a snob but on property is best .
    The circular outdoor courtyard at the GCH where the monorail runs above
    is a great place to let small ,children walkers and crawlers, have a good outing from the stroller.
    There is something special about riding the Mark Twain at the top with your grandson, as well as riding in the pilot house with you hubby on your birthday.
    The silhouttes are the best souviener for the dollars.
    Husbands and fathers can be sorely missed at the park for their strong arms and shoulders for carrying small children and strollers.And waiting with them while we shop.
    Disneyland is still my happy place, it dosent matter how much I can do or how little , its still the place to be for me.
    I am lucky, very lucky, to have experienced the park as a child, a teen, a young married, a mom of small kids, a mother of the bride, and a grammie. Its all been different and all so much the same and mostly happy and comfortable.
    Ok so now I am working on my hubby to go in late november for ... oh this is so much the present I want for my birthday... the holiday decorations are up, candlelight if go the for my birthday and stay for the first weekend, light crowds, good weather, you dont have to stay for midnight ...keeping fingers crossed .And I am never going in the summer on a weekend again.

• Goofy

Re: I remember why I dont go to Disneyland Resort in the Summer on a weekend...

ah the humid heat is sure strong. But Im glad you had a fun time.

• Minion

Sunday was so busy because all of the AP's became unblocked, and 50,000 employees of The Walt Disney Company were unblocked from their free sign-in priveleges.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Sorry to hear about the bad times but Disneyland is sure fun on a summer's day, at least I think. Love the crowds here.

Man it's been a while since I checked up on MiceChat! It says for me 95,745 posts since I last checked in!
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• D'LAND BIRTH YEAR BABY

It wasnt a bad day/weekend, just very different from my visits for propably the last 15 years or so.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

You think the humidity was bad last weekend? Wait til this weekend! Dallas Raines said that So Cal is going to be experiencing extreme humidity this weekend with a 20% chance of rain due to lingering effects from Hurricane Dean as it crosses over Mexico and into the Pacific...

We have avoided ANY summer visits for many many years until last summer. Kind of on a whim, like DisneyJunkie, we drove to SoCal from Norcal on some other business and went to DL on a Saturday, a SIN for me, so I thought. It was just one of those, let's drop by DL, we have passes, and no expectations. Just grab a few FP's were we can and just be glad we are there. Well it turned out to be a great day. We enjoyed it. Although we lucked out weather wise. It was mild, very comfortable. So we did it again this summer. We went to the park on Sun/Mon last week, before the AP blockout days were removed. Same thing.

As for Candy Cane...we always stay there. During the week, the daytime shuttle driver is Oscar. He is always very helpful and very friendly. And the CCI staff is usually very helpful and resolve issues you have. And I agree, the upgrade is not worth the extra dollars.

We usually eat breakfast there and eat outside by the pool. Always very comfy doing so. That might be helpful for peeps with strollers, or you can do what many people do, bring the tray from your room and get food,drinks and bring them back to your room.

And (pats self on back), I usually help people with strollers on the shuttle etc. People that stay at the CCI are the nicest people, aren't we !!
    With a stoller you might also consider just walking over. It's only 250 yards. We usually vary walking and shuttle riding.
    Gawrsh !!

That is a great TR! I loved your "summary" at the end. You are lucky indeed.... Glad you had a good time as well as the rest of your party.

• MA Reader Since 2003

Last weekend was not your typical OC Summer weather. The heat and humidity was awful, probably the worst weather I have ever encountered at the DLR. We still had a blast though we just pretended we were in WDW.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge..."
    -Albert Einstein

• DL Nerd

better to be @ DL on a weekend in the summer than not to be @ DL at all.
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• Beer is good beer.

Thumbs up Re: I remember why I dont go to Disneyland Resort in the Summer on a weekend...

Sounds like it was a good trip in spite of the heat, humidity and long hours. Thanks for taking the time to share with us.
    M A S E C A !

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    You think the humidity was bad last weekend? Wait til this weekend! Dallas Raines said that So Cal is going to be experiencing extreme humidity this weekend with a 20% chance of rain due to lingering effects from Hurricane Dean as it crosses over Mexico and into the Pacific...
    Good ol' Dallas Raines!
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• D'LAND BIRTH YEAR BABY

So now I am dragging DH for Halloween time , from the 27th thru the 30th . Staying once again at the CCI . Rest of the family has a time share at the Dolphin something or other. Big plans Sunday ps at Blue Bayou, Monday Carnation breakfast at 9:40 hope to see Oscar, and Monday halloween treat with the kids at DCA, most likely the last time we will see it in its present form. I am so glad we have pics from the beginning when te orange was still being built , taken from our room at the DLH . It will be quite the story to tell the Grandsons in 6-7 years from now. We will be taking lots of pics this trip.