Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

• A Honorary Autobot

Re: Destruction of Splash Mountain and Critter Country

As far as geography goes, there is a copious amount of room to house the WRE. Even within the very berm of the park itself!

And even if WRE would call for additional space, a dip outside of the berm is always available. The space is there. Our many friends who have posted Google Earth satellite images have proved that.

WRE was meant to be no grander or massive than POTC. When POTC can easily fit inside of Splash, how can you justify the need of additional land? I'm vague on that thought, Swab...

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Wait...no train AROUND TDL!??
    Yup, what I heard was this....(someone correct me if I'm wrong):

There's a law in japan that said that if you have more than one station, then the system
    has to conform to the rules and regulations for trains in japan. Disney (correctly IMHO)
    thought that this would be really be onerous (not to mention make no sense), so
    shortened the train to just around their Frontierland(Westerland) and Adventureland.

Map of Tokyo DL

See the black loop around RoA and Jungle Cruise? That's the train. Only one station
    (in Adventureland).

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    Definitely.... I'm not sure if I liked it better than Pirates, (it's very close btw),
    but I actually liked it better than iasw (which is the more closer comparison IMHO).
    That's something I thought I'll never say.

Yes, folks, it's THAT good!
    I'm not the biggest it's a small world fan, but I simply fell in love with Sindbad's Storybook Voyage.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    It is infantile to believe that bias does not enter into every avenue of thought, as all have perferences. Of course I am no big fan of Splash Mountain, or else I would not have proposed its replacement. This seems elementary, and it seemed to me an easy enough concept to grasp...
    Yet you completely gloss over this fact as inconsequential, when in reality it is the only reason this thread exists in it's current incarnation.

Don't crap in a box and tell me it's candy, I just won't bite.

• A Honorary Autobot

While it would be a much better fit (and one that I have argued in favor of in the past), I couldn't visualize the additions to be made having room enough to be executed. In addition, two water-flume type rides almost right next door to one another seems repetitive. SM's location is already primed for a water-bourne adventure, I'd use that.
    Um, here's a slight gap in the logic here... If Disney was sooo concerned about repetitive ride platforms being so close together, you wouldn't have Peter Pan's Flight, Snow White's Scary Adventure's, Pinocchio's Daring Journey, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland so bloody close together!

(Whoo-hoo! 100 Posts! Maybe I ought to get back to work...)

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

See the black loop around RoA and Jungle Cruise? That's the train. Only one station
    (in Adventureland).
    That's just ludicrious.
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    Why is it problematic? Here's some ideas:

Haunted Mansion: An eerily authentic early 19th Century antebellum Southern plantation house on a river delta inhabited by ghosts.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Swarthy buccaneers invade the Tropical Island of Isla de Tesoro in search of gold and bullion as guests enter via an authentic New Orleans backdrop.

Splash Mountain: Based upon "Song of the South," its a riotous log flume through a Mississippi logging knoll populated by animated characters from the classic Disney film.

These are all Southern-based attractions. It's a topography thing, Swab. Keep WRE in it's rightful place across the trail from BTRR.
    I'm not really arguing it is problematic--I was asking Nish why it is more problematic to have a Frontierland attraction than a 'Critter Country' area.
    Splash Mountain was a decent compromise to a thematic problem--marrying the Old South to a cartoonish CC theme. But I think a true Frontierland attraction is more thematically appropriate.
    As I stated earlier, I like the Big Thunder Trail area for expansion, but do not think it adequate, and two water-flume rides seems superfluous.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The biggest problem I see with the idea is proximity. Western River Expedition was supposed to be the Magic Kingdom's answer to Pirates of the Caribbean. Marc Davis' attempts to bring the attraction to life at Disneyland and Tokyo Disneyland were impeded by the presence of those swashbuckling pirates.

My other fear relates to any version of Western River Expedition being built today. The attraction has become this tidbit of Disney park and Imagineering lore. Without Marc Davis' guiding hand I doubt the attraction could ever live up to the expectations of the legend that it has become.

• Minion

Yup, what I heard was this....(someone correct me if I'm wrong):

There's a law in japan that said that if you have more than one station, then the system
    has to conform to the rules and regulations for trains in japan. Disney (correctly IMHO)
    thought that this would be really be onerous (not to mention make no sense), so
    shortened the train to just around their Frontierland(Westerland) and Adventureland.

Map of Tokyo DL

(in Adventureland).
    Not to mention it would have required guests to pay to ride the railroad, which would have just been plain ridiculous. I'm glad they managed to reform it to fit into the park. Luckily, the railroad still offers awesome views of the park (along with the Primeval World diorama). And it manages to fit in better thematically too, circling only Adventureland and Westernland.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    Um, here's a slight gap in the logic here... If Disney was sooo concerned about repetitive ride platforms being so close together, you wouldn't have Peter Pan's Flight, Snow White's Scary Adventure's, Pinocchio's Daring Journey, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland so bloody close together!

(Whoo-hoo! 100 Posts! Maybe I ought to get back to work...)
    Because they thematically support one another, being children's fables and stories. In any case, unique ride systems (like outdoor flume attractions) are better served by remaining unique, preserving the 'one-of-a-kind experience IMO.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    The biggest problem I see with the idea is proximity. Western River Expedition was supposed to be the Magic Kingdom's answer to Pirates of the Caribbean. Marc Davis' attempts to bring the attraction to life at Disneyland and Tokyo Disneyland were impeded by the presence of those swashbuckling pirates.

My other fear relates to any version of Western River Expedition being built today. The attraction has become this tidbit of Disney park and Imagineering lore. Without Marc Davis' guiding hand I doubt the attraction could ever live up to the expectations of the legend that it has become.
    Sadly, in complete agreement with you here. It has no chance of being built--just a fun exercise on a slow day to see how much people love (or hate, or even care about) Splash and Critter Country as a whole. In addition, to see people's ideas about furthering the expansion of Frontierland in any form.

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

In addition, to see people's ideas about furthering the expansion of Frontierland in any form.
    I won't even touch your idea about removing Splash Mountain. LOL I think that should give you a clue as to how I feel about it.

However, to go off of the quote I have above...people on here (Techskip) and a few others made suggestions to revamp Frontierland before. But then people started having sh*tfits about how it would ruin their ability to go to a quiet spot, relax, take naps, etc. (These people baffle me to be honest with you.) But yet now that any suggestion or idea comes out to remove Splash Mountain NOW it's okay to get rid of this "quaint and quiet location"? MiceChatters are so incredibly hypocritical it's pathetic. LOL

...Joe...

• Senior Minion

Ah, the grass is always greener in the other fellows yard!

Here you all are discussing demolishing Splash Mountain (never gonna happen folks) while us over in Europe are as about as close to tears as is socially acceptable for adults to be because we haven't got one at our 'local' DLP.

What gets my goat about this site is that (with the possible exception of HM and POTC) all of the rides and attractions come in for a fair amount of flack. You want to try living in a place that has no Splash Mountain, no Test Track, No Dinosaur, No Jungle Cruise, No Soarin' etc.

Ok, so we are rumoured to get Soarin' before long (big whoop IMO) and ToT is mere months away. Splash is also rumoured for the waaaay distant future, But come on guys! Get over yourselves and smell the cookies. You have got it good.

And to address the topic - NO. Keep Critter County as it is. Please remember that Pooh equals revenue to Disney. The ride may not be popular to MCs but I bet it brings in its fair share of guests through the gates.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

•   

Quote Originally Posted by DCAFTW View Post
    Yet you completely gloss over this fact as inconsequential, when in reality it is the only reason this thread exists in it's current incarnation.

Don't crap in a box and tell me it's candy, I just won't bite.
    You have posted three or four times--you already have bitten
    What's the 'proper' reasoning then, behind thread creation? Maybe all should check with you before posting threads, just to make sure motivations are 'pure'; gimme a break. Either participate in the discussion about the topic or don't, but don't expect any 'explanations' from me. Don't derail my thread any further.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by JosephTNielsen View Post
    I won't even touch your idea about removing Splash Mountain. LOL I think that should give you a clue as to how I feel about it.

However, to go off of the quote I have above...people on here (Techskip) and a few others made suggestions to revamp Frontierland before. But then people started having sh*tfits about how it would ruin their ability to go to a quiet spot, relax, take naps, etc. (These people baffle me to be honest with you.) But yet now that any suggestion or idea comes out to remove Splash Mountain NOW it's okay to get rid of this "quaint and quiet location"? MiceChatters are so incredibly hypocritical it's pathetic. LOL

...Joe...
    I remember well the Frontierland expansion threads regarding the Thunder Trail--destroying its peaceful serene vibe with...attractions! It was fun, though. So's this. Splash Mountain fans are rabid, and somehow think that by the mere insinuation that DL may be better off without SM, this somehow is a death knell--SM and its fans have NOTHING to worry about!

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast