Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Destruction of Splash Mountain and Critter Country

Okay, hear me out. I took a lot of heat regarding my last 'demolition' thread (PeopleMover tracks), but this time I offer a proposition; a 'trade'.

The question posed is this: Would you be willing to trade Splash Mountain and the surrounding Critter Country (plus a possible alteration of the ROA) for a (albeit truncated) Thunder Mesa and Western River Expedition attraction?

The addition of this massive project would excuse that 'dead-end' of Disneyland, and provide a true western flavor to a slowly disappearing Frontierland.

This massive full-scale project was in the final design stages in 1972 (?) for WDW when demand for another 'water-ride' (POTC) put the WRE's fate on permanent 'hold'.

Is the WRE an 'Impossible Dream'? Maybe; but this thread's purpose is to explore not just the feasibility of such an undertaking, but the prevailing attitudes towards the addition of such an attraction at the cost of an already popular water attraction, a popular restaurant, and a not-so-beloved kiddie DR (and, of course, the sacrifice of 'Critter Country' itself).

While I am not Splash Mountain's biggest fan, I do appreciate the strong feelings some of you feel towards it. But I say 'get over it' (at least for the duration of the discussion ), and I further say, 'if you wanna make an omelet, you gotta break some eggs'.

Would this be a 'good' trade for DL in the long run? I know it would be a fortuitous turn of events for Frontierland, but how do you all feel? SM fans and non-fans alike are encouraged to agree with me...uhh...I mean discuss their opinions.

Go Frontierland!!

•   

Re: Destruction of Splash Mountain and Critter Country

Apologies in advance to Chad

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

Would the Western River Expedition be akin to GRR?? If, so then I would have to say no since it would be like having twin rides in seperate places. I like the idea of expanding Frontierland but not at the cost of loosing SM. I am not a huge fan of the ride, but it's an E ticket ride and, for some, the main reason to head to the park on a hot day.

Maybe take the pre-exisiting attractions and restaurants and incorporate them?? Just an idea....
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by haunted_hottie View Post
    Would the Western River Expedition be akin to GRR?? If, so then I would have to say no since it would be like having twin rides in seperate places. I like the idea of expanding Frontierland but not at the cost of loosing SM. I am not a huge fan of the ride, but it's an E ticket ride and, for some, the main reason to head to the park on a hot day.

Maybe take the pre-exisiting attractions and restaurants and incorporate them?? Just an idea....
    Since the WRE never came to fruition, I can't say if it would have resembled GRR, but if constructed NOW, I would hope great measures would be taken to create something unique to either Park.

Definitely not...ever.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Since the Pooh thing I've been very very anti-Critter country (and the word "critter" is my favorite word! Next to a 4 letter word that is awesome!), but Frontierland is my favorite land in the park. And sorry not a Splash fan. Was Critter country part of the original DL? That whole area right now just seems....blah to me.

• Minion FOREVER!

Swabby, I would make that trade in a heartbeat except for two things:
    * it would thematically "split" Frontierland in two since NOS will now be in "between" them.
    (I know that the RoA would actually provide the connection, but that's only logical/literal;
    to a person walking, it wouldn't..they'll see Frontierland, NOS, then Frontierland II..i.e. bad show).
    * if WRE is built in its full glory, then it includes what is effectively is BTMRR.

If I had my choice, I would have WRE built with a completely redo of BTMRR entwined
    in it (i.e. a full blown WRE) and using the space now occupied by the BT trail. Heck, I'll
    even wind the BT trail *thru* WRE!

My two cents...

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'm all for something being done to Frontierland. If that proposed area is ripped out and they keep the petting zoo and the picnic area, I'll be raging.

There has to be a happy compromise without ripping out one of their "mountains".

Thanks Fo'C for the pre-appology. A spoonful of sugar I always say.

Chad

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

Splash Mountain is one of my favorite rides at Disneyland. As for Winnie The Pooh, not so much. But I wouldn't trade the ride for WRE. The ride is perfect for a hot day, and the waiting time in the lines prove this. I do think we need another water ride since Disneyland is very dry, but no, sorry.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Not a bad idea, foc's. I used to like Splash Mountain but now that they reconfigured the logs it is a lot more bumpy and you get a lot more wet than you have to. I would just hope they find another home for the AA's, and not with John Stamos...

•   

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    Swabby, I would make that trade in a heartbeat except for two things:
    * it would thematically "split" Frontierland in two since NOS will now be in "between" them.
    (I know that the RoA would actually provide the connection, but that's only logical/literal;
    to a person walking, it wouldn't..they'll see Frontierland, NOS, then Frontierland II..i.e. bad show).
    * if WRE is built in its full glory, then it includes what is effectively is BTMRR.

If I had my choice, I would have WRE built with a completely redo of BTMRR entwined
    in it (i.e. a full blown WRE) and using the space now occupied by the BT trail. Heck, I'll
    even wind the BT trail *thru* WRE!

My two cents...
    Let me then remove those problems:
    1. The ROA is still Frontierland, as are its banks, the raft launches and canoes. NOS was constructed to replicate architecture in Frontierland's time period (1860). Not really much of a thematic stretch historically (now, geographically, maybe; but what isn't a geographic 'stretch' in the Park?).
    2. Of course, as I stated, it would have to be a less sweeping version of WRE and Thunder Mesa; but wouldn't that be better than a log ride with hand-me-down AA's, a kiddie DR that is ill-fitting and unpopular, and a eatery serving no real 'unique' dishes? To me, the answer is yes.

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by haunted_hottie View Post

Actually, WRE is closer to PotC than to GRR.

BTW. if anyone is wondering what WDI can do in this genre of ride (non-thrill water),
    take a look at Sinbad in TDS. I thought I'll never say this, but in terms of amount of
    technology used, it completely blows anything in DL away. Smooth life-like motions
    on almost every character....

•   

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Splash Mountain is one of my favorite rides at Disneyland. As for Winnie The Pooh, not so much. But I wouldn't trade the ride for WRE. The ride is perfect for a hot day, and the waiting time in the lines prove this. I do think we need another water ride since Disneyland is very dry, but no, sorry.
    SM has built quite a following (and it's a bit of a mystery to me), so I would imagine that I am, again, in the minoirity on this one. There must be something about that ride that I don't get, to be so popular so fast...is it the drop? I dunno...

Interesting how it jumps right to ripping out one of the most recognizeable landmarks at Disneyland.

Splash Mountain is an undeniable success, and achievement for Imagineers. It is the perfect marriage of theme and motion, with just the right touch of thrill ride to keep adults coming back as well as children.

Whether or not you personally enjoy the ride, you have to admit (simply from looking at the consistent wait times) that Splash Mountain is one the most successful and popular attractions in the park.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'd honestly take out the Matterhorn before Splash. <ducking>

Chad

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast