Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

Re: Tomorrowland entrance - no Orbiter, but no fountain either

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    As far as I know, the Astro Orbiter's upper portion has been moving around freely since May 5, showcasing the lovely new hidden 50 in its top half.

As for fountains... public fountains don't work.. they smell.. they lead to mildew and sifferent bacterias... no reason to plague (literally) the paying Disneyland guests with another public bathhouse.
    That's what I thought as well regarding the Astro Orbitor.

As for a fountain...nah...clean out the entrance and leave it open as an area for Remember viewing. Add a nice marquee for the land over an archway and that would be more than enough for me...maybe some of the metal palm trees from WDW's TL too
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Official Mice Chat person

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRods90
    I know that the Disney Imagineers' work practically went down the drain with the 1998 heavy budget, but look at how cool this looks! I would have preferred this entry than the one Disneyland currently owns today. What's your opinion? Click on the picture to make it larger.
    Wow, I really love that picture and that land. What was it that we ended up getting???? Just look at the observation in that picture, it looks so much cooler!! Everything does! Stupid management and their budget cuts!

• When Will It Return?

I like the giant pic of 3PO in front of Star Tours in that rendering

-- PMM

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Official Mice Chat person

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt

-- PMM
    My thoughts exactly.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRods90
    This rendering of TL98 almost makes it look good! Done properly, perhaps it wouldn't be attracting so many barbs today. But, it was not done properly. It also appears that the artist may have fudged the proportions at the entrance just a little to make it appear a bit more open than it really is. The Astro Orbiter in its present position is really a traffic flow roadblock in reality. Put back up where it used to be, it would recreate the "weinie" effect and really open up that area. A smallish fountain at the entrance could be attractive. (I'm thinking about one of those fountains that shoots up blasts of water in patterns or to music like the one at DD.) A small berm of foliage around it would keep the human pollution at bay. Add some colorful lighting effects at night and you'd have a nice piece of eye candy. It would also be interesting to see the old original Moonliner (the big one) there... if it even still exists. With the Astro Orbiter moved, that's a really large area. Just a little too much to leave as a sidewalk. Without a small feature of some sort, I'm afraid the temptation would just be too great to litter it with ODV carts... and that would be just tacky.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt

-- PMM
    um... can we get a R2-D2 also at least?!

• out & about

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    A smallish fountain at the entrance could be attractive. (I'm thinking about one of those fountains that shoots up blasts of water in patterns or to music. A small berm of foliage around it would keep the human pollution at bay. Add some colorful lighting effects at night and you'd have a nice piece of eye candy. ODV carts...would be just tacky.
    I agree with tom. a nice foutnain would look nice and inviting. even if its put under the the track where it splits so its really not in the way either, but leaving a nice open entrance into the future. thats what i would like to see. i cringe at the thought of seeing odv carts there.
    :

Quote Originally Posted by WRDest79
    "Shouldn't our view into the furture be unobstructive and inviting"?
    Last edited by WRDup; 07-10-2005 at 07:40 PM.
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

• out & about

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan
    um... can we get a R2-D2 also at least?!
    good point! consider this...

you know why dont they have star wars characters in a meet and greet session anyway. almost everyother character known to man is out there in hot bulky (beast from beauty and the beast) uncomfortable costumes, why not have a real life r2-d2 (if they could do the walking talking trashcan they could do this) , c3p0, chewie, ewoks... etc. out there to meet the folks and delight the children.

even the crappy rendetions of star wars characters that show up to movie premieres and special releases are cool to see. so im sure if disney and lucas teamed up to make some good looking costumes and get the right actors it would be a big hit.
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

• Basking in birthday love

That is indeed a really gorgeous picture, but think about this: it's from an angle that no guest could ever duplicate. As far as I can tell, this looks like the view you might get if you stood on top Plaza Inn (and were really tall, I guess, because it's still a very high angle). Hell, TL98 might have looked good if we could get that sort of view. If TL98 was designed with this sort of angle in mind, it certainly explains why it sucked from the guest's perspective on the ground.

I will refrain from making an Eisner with his head in the clouds joke, because many will do it for me.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

That picture of Tomorrowland is marvelous. Bravo to the artist(s)!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12