• 1stOfficial Rider on Nemo

Mr.Abominable's Nemo Opening Day Trip, 6/10-6/12

I know this is late, but recently I have been reading a little more MiceChat so I thought I would post a copy of my last trip report.

Mr.Abominable's Nemo Opening Day Trip, 6/10-6/12
    We made our reservations at the Disneyland Hotel back in April. We used the dates that disney was giving as far as Nemo resurfacing. Our sole purpose was to be there for opening day so we were hoping that the Imagineers kept it on schedule. We tried to get the AP sneak peek passes but we were denied so the trip stayed completely on schedule. Myself, the wife(Linus-dobbymom) and her sister(a member of The Abominables but not on mousepad) met at John Wayne airport at around 10:30 Sunday morning, us from Vegas and the sister from Phoenix. Arrived via cab to the Disneyland Hotel at around 11:15. Checkin line was pretty long with lots of media running around, after about 20 minutes we got out the Nemo themed lanyards, checked the bags and were off to DLR. We called for priority seating at Cafe Orleans while in the check in line for 12:45. After the obligitory Downtown pin traders stop we arrived at the Cafe on time. Stood there about 15 minutes before we were sat, ate the delicious chicken croissant. Chef Oscar was not around but I did get to say hi to him the next morning. We headed over to Tomorrowland with the lame hopes of sneaking into the media party...no luck, lol. Walked by the blue carpet before we headed over to check out Pirate's Lair. Waited in the longest line ever for the rafts( not all that long though) and headed over to the island. Checked out the stage first before realizing that if we wanted a good seat for the show we would need to come back later. Walked through Injun joe's cave and it looked great but the Dead Man's Chest effect was not working(the cave was closed when we made it back around so hopefully they were fixing it). We really enjoyed all of the new pirate stuff on the island, in my opinion they did a great job on the things added so far. We especially liked the Davey Jones voice effects in the shipwreak. We also got to meet KennythePirate as he and the rest of the Dream job winners were wandering around the island taking pictures. We then sat for the stage show and enjoyed the swordfighting a lot. After going on a few rides(Pirates, Mansion and Indy) we headed over to the Ariel's Grotto bar, one of our favorite places to relax when it is open. The service was friendly but extremely slow as they were very busy. Also the rookie bartender had no idea that the "T" button on their mixer gun was not tonic but that the "Q" button is(quinine), I informed here after the third wrong drink for our sister. Also didn't like that they don't really muddle there mojitos, but they do make them big and strong there, anyways after 4, who cares, lol. We head back to the Magic Kingdom for a few rides before heading back get some sleep before our early, early morning.
    Monday Morning, Opening Day for Nemo
    So we woke up around 5 Am, determined to be near the front of the line. We stopped by the Pin shop in Downtown to get our wristbands for the Opening Day Pins(LE 1000). We arrive at the security gate at around 5:40 and we are behind about 8 people. There are a couple of disney folks there to let us know that we are in the right place and they were all very friendly. At 6 they take us inside to the DLR gate, we had early entry so we sat at the first gate on the left, behind one single lady. By 7 there are a lot of people in all of the lines. The let us in and we start a brisk walk towards the Matterhorn(we were told to head there). While we continued our brisk walking, everyone else seems to slow down and not race us to the area. We are greeted by several cast members and lead to the benches by the old motorboats dock. This is when we realize that we are the very first group, our single lady from the gate is second and very content with that(she was a little shy about the attention). We were greeted by several managers just because they wanted to meet the first riders in line. Several CMs took pictures and said they we would be on the wall of the Nemo opearations room. I take off to get coffee and past Imagineer Rick Rothschild. He heads over to greet my wife and sister in law while I headed to Main Street for coffee and to Downtown to pick up our two Opening day pins. I accomplished both of these before the gates open for the non EE people. When I get back, the girls were very excited to have met Mr. Rothschild and were also photgraphed and interviewed for laughingplace.com. After 15 minutes of not much excitement besides the sudden increase in people from the gate opening, I head off to find breakfast. I return with the food I got from New Orleans Terrace just in time for Tony Baxter to arrive to greet us. He took our picture and we took pictures with him right as the Monorail, all dressed up as a Submarine, arrived perfectly behind us. It was exciting to meet Tony Baxter and to witness his genuine excitement with us being first and with the decorated monorail. They moved us up to the edge of lagoon next to the Matterhorn. They were a whole lot of people behind us by this point. We were standing beside of the pyrotechnincs team who were setting up for the Opening ceremony that was going to happen directly across the lagoon from us. We could see Tony Baxter, John Lassiter and Ed Grier taking photos on top of the subs. We could hear the ceremony pretty well even though we were watching it from the back of the stage. Once the little show was over and all of the brass were done speaking, it was time for the crew to break down the bleachers. A lot of the media headed our way. We were interviewed by KTLA, CBS from Salt Lake, Newsweek, Official Disneyland Podcast, mouseplanet.com(yay for AVP), laughing place.com, allearsnet.com and several others. The funniest interview was from a show from Telemundo called aquipasa. The lady asked me if I "pee pee and poo poo in the lagoon" since I had been in the line for so long. If you don't believe me you can view the interview at aquipasa.com, lol! A couple of castmembers had been with us at the front of the line all day, Ellie and Tim(manager of the East side of DL), they were awesome and they made our wait in line very enjoyable. At a little after noon we were told it was time for us to christen the ride queue. We were lead by one of the Nemo CMs through every single switchback of the line while the media and CMs cheered. We were given a high five by several CMs and Tony Baxter. We were so excited to be the first, as we walked through the queue with a symbolic number 1 sign raised in the air. AVP was there as well, as we were lead to our sub. We climbed into our sub with more cheering, tons of cameras flashing and TV cameras rolling. It was an unbelievable feeling ! The ride was so exciting and it was as beautiful as we had hoped. As we arrived back in the docking area, we deboarded to more cheers and smiling faces. As we exited, we did a few more interviews with AVP, allearsnet.com, laughing place and the Disneyland podcast. And then we were done, we had ridden the ride, and we were so exhilirated! We went to grab a burger at the Tomorrowland Terrace and got in line again....all the way back at Small World. This time we waited about three hours. We had the most exciting time being the FIRST OFFICIAL RIDERS ON THE FINDING NEMO SUMBMARINE VOYAGE!!!!
    We have pictures of us that can be viewed on all of the websites mentioned above as well as audio on podcasts from Disneyland.com and mouseplanet.com as well as some interviews on the websites of the news outlets mentioned above, I will try to post some of our own pictures and links as soon as I get a chance. Thanks for reading, our next adventure is a short trip to DLR on July 15 for a NFFC breakfast with Marty Sklar to benefit the Herb Ryman Arts Foundation(moved from Club 33 to the Napa Rose ) and then a week later we are off to Tokyo for our first trip to TDR and DisneySea so there are more trip reports to come. AND YES MARK GOLDHABER AND MIKE DEMOPOLOUS, WE DO HAVE JOBS!!! We just spend all of our money and spare time at a Disney Park!!!!
    I was in the Magic Kingdom, now I'm in the Carribbean.
    You get something really wicked, when you spend an E-Ticket!

~The Vandals "Pirates Life"

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Re: Mr.Abominable's Nemo Opening Day Trip, 6/10-6/12

Did you ride the Nautilus?

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Did you ride the Nautilus?
    Nope, you would have thought so but the first sub was the Mariner(I think).

• Kenny the Pirate

It was great meeting you on the island. That was such an awesome trip.
    Kenny the Pirate
    AKA Bad Mood t' Blackhearted
    Disney Dream Job Pirate Winner 2007
    Full WDW character and show schedules: www.kennythepirate.com
    Follow my adventures on twitter: www.twitter.com/kennypirate

Quote Originally Posted by kennygman77 View Post
    It was great meeting you on the island. That was such an awesome trip.
    It was great to meet you too Kenny, I just read one of the Jungle Cruise Skipper's trip report on winning the dreamjob contest, over on Mouseplanet, it was very detailed as was yours and I thought again about what a unique and special trip you guys all had. Something like that may possibly never happen again.