Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Minion

Fixing Alice's Storybook Sign

Before New Fantasyland, the giant storybook sign atop the mushroom at the Alice in Wonderland ride featured the original attraction poster as the bookcover/sign (for which it was designed).

That lovely poster, one of Disneyland's best:

http://davelandweb.com/alice/images/aliceposter.jpg

Here's how the poster originally looked on the storybook:

http://davelandweb.com/alice/images/...10_59_N03R.jpg

And here's the rather lame art that replaced it in 1984:

http://davelandweb.com/alice/images/DSC_5012.jpg

Tony, while you are fixing things... How about bringing back the original art on the Alice storybook?

It's still such beautiful, evocative art, and much superior to the replacement. I remember this poster as one of the key images that really seared into my brain as a child on my first Disneyland visits.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Fixing Alice's Storybook Sign

Interesting how the traditional artwork had a much more psychedellic look to it than what replaced it...

• Minion

>>Interesting how the traditional artwork had a much more psychedellic look to it than what replaced it...<<

The original Disney studio artists were stylish modernists. It's hard to top their work. As for the 1984 art - - I don't know what they were thinking.

• Kevin's a girl?

I don't remember the old storybook, since I wasn't born yet. But now that I see it, I would like to see it come back.

We're always having fun in the Fun and Games Lounge. Care to visit us?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I'm not particularly a fan of the Alice in Wonderland attraction poster. Personally, I feel that Disney created much stronger, much more evocative imagery in many of their other attraction posters - but still, I agree that the attraction poster is far superior to what replaced it.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Can they add an Alice AA while they're at it??

• Banned User

Gee? Trying to get attention are we now mj.
    Why replace it with the original? How about replace it with something else? Actually, replacing it altogether wouldn't make much sense as the current one is just fine the way it is. How about fixing more important things, like, what to do with Tomorrowland (still) or by giving Frontierland a little more love, and perhaps restoring ToonTown to it's pre-saftey plussed land, hm? This "request" just screams "MUSEUM!!!" to me. Superiority is only in the eye of the beholder...

It's all a matter of opinion. The old one is great, but the 1984 one is more colorful and likely more appealing to most kids because of it's bright colors and artistic style.

• Minion

>>Gee? Trying to get attention are we now mj.<<

Actually, I'm quite sincere about the poster.

>>Why replace it with the original? How about replace it with something else? Actually, replacing it altogether wouldn't make much sense as the current one is just fine the way it is. How about fixing more important things, like, what to do with Tomorrowland (still) or by giving Frontierland a little more love, and perhaps restoring ToonTown to it's pre-saftey plussed land, hm? This "request" just screams "MUSEUM!!!" to me. Superiority is only in the eye of the beholder...<<

Gee, Manator, why would a simple issue of displaying classic art bring out such animus?

The orginal poster is quite lovely - and Disneyland has always been about art and design. And all your other projects sound like good ones too. They aren't mutually exclusive. : )

Beauty and art can do wonders for all that stress and anger. Try a relaxing afternoon at a nice museum today. Art is a good thing and very healing!

I'd like to see some Shag art for Alice.

• Minion

>>I'd like to see some Shag art for Alice.<<

I'll wager as a modernist with an appeciation of the period, he would also support the design aesthetic of the original poster.

>>The old one is great, but the 1984 one is more colorful and likely more appealing to most kids because of it's bright colors and artistic style.<<

Well, it has pink on it and a fluffy cloud, if that's what you mean by more colorful or kid friendly... "Style" I'm not so sure.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

The newest incarnation of the storybook reminded me of the old 'Little Disney Golden Books' artwork: flat and utilitarian, but competent. I'm in agreement with the original poster about the original poster.

I'm not so sure the book shouldn't just come down entirely. But I think the new one is fine. They are different in style but both are nice in their own way. The original a bit more artistic, the latter, a bit more playful and cheery.

This has nothing to do with the book, but I must say it looks 100% better now that all the trees have grown up.

• Minion

>>This has nothing to do with the book, but I must say it looks 100% better now that all the trees have grown up.<<

The revised landscaping - and the ride itself - are great improvements, but that original book was a thing of beauty and it still fits the area.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by TheManator View Post
    Gee? Trying to get attention are we now mj.
    Why replace it with the original? How about replace it with something else? Actually, replacing it altogether wouldn't make much sense as the current one is just fine the way it is. How about fixing more important things, like, what to do with Tomorrowland (still) or by giving Frontierland a little more love, and perhaps restoring ToonTown to it's pre-saftey plussed land, hm? This "request" just screams "MUSEUM!!!" to me. Superiority is only in the eye of the beholder...
    What is your problem? Merlinjones always has good posts and you can obviously tell he has a real passion for DL.

If change means better, then ok. But we've seen change that makes us hunger for the originals that were better.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast