• "I Break Things"

Disney's Natural Guests

I remember when I was working Thunder, every summer we had at least 3 good bee swarms. Trains would usually get 1 or 2 in the old stump. Autopia would always get their share... Recently there has been a lot of news about bees dying off and bee colonies on the demise in So Cal and across the U.S. as a whole. I was wondering if the park still gets the swarms, and what the Disney policy is about removing and eradicating vs. relocating hives.

On a side note I also remember how West Nile was a HUGE problem on Jungle a couple summers back. We had crows falling out of the sky on an hourly basis. Every time we would call and horticulture would pick them up... never to be seen again. One of the Skips started cataloging the birds before calling. He kept a journal, and photographed each one (timestamp on the photo to prove date and time). The reason... 5 birds in less then 2 hours... Eventually he snuck one of the birds off property and dropped it off at the local Vector Control. Shocker... Disney had not reported ANY of the birds, and he had the proof that they had existed and the problem was there. I know because I was with him when it was turned in. The bird he brought in tested positive and shortly after Disney "suddenly" decided to spray the Jungle for mosquitoes. I have no doubt they were called because Management was furious and wanted to know who delivered the bird and the pictures. As far as we were concerned at least someone was looking out for the public health!

So bees and mosquitoes... are they still a problem in the park?
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Miss Marvel

Re: Disney's Natural Guests

The Crow story? That's one scary story.
    "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? " - Alice

"If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?" - Jack Pumpkinhead
    "It happens to people all the time, Jack." - Dorothy

"It seems the words on my mug are right: 'It is hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys.'" - Sam the Eagle

• "I Break Things"

Ask the Skippers who worked that summer... it was really really sad. The crows would fall in the water, sometimes not even dead yet, it was incredibly hard to distract an entire boat so kids didn't see something like that... When we got back we'd say something and they'd send an empty boat out to fish them out with a net. Things like that stay with you. They'd take them back stage in boat storage and call Horticulture. Every time we were assured it was being reported but Disney wouldn't spray, and finally a Skip started keeping track. I am convinced it was because of him that Disney did something!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Minion

A swarm at Flik's last year but of course in Bug's Land they're honored guests ...

• Hooterville, USA

Scary story about the crows.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• illest since '86

yea that crow story is crazy...