•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

These questions might seem weird - but I am asking them anyway.

Does anyone bring a blanket to sit on during Fantasmic?

How big are the lockers inside the park?

Will I be able to get one on the 17th of July?

Do the nights get chilly? Will I need a sweatshirt in July?

Here is my thinking. There are 5 of us coming early in the morning on the 17th of July. We will stay as long as we can hold out. We definitely want to see the parade and fireworks and Fantasmic. I figure a blanket would be more comfortable to sit on, if we have to sit on the ground for Fantasmic. Arriving early, it might be chilly, and staying out late, it might also be chilly.

Having never been to Disneyland before and knowing the park will be mobbed that day, should I bring the blanket and sweatshirt and immediately rent a locker, upon arrival into the park? Or should I forego it altogether and rough it, because the crowded conditions might prevent me from being able to get a locker?

We will be there at opening. I do not want to get stuck carrying a blanket and sweatshirt all day.

Appreciate everyone's opinion on this matter. I am a Granny, and a good grandmother likes to be prepared. I can also just pretend like I am 10 and wing it, unprepared, if need be. That might be more fun.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Man O Lantern

Re: These questions might seem weird - but I am asking them anyway.

People definitely bring blankets for Fantasmic! I'm not sure if there will be the space on the 17th.....I can't imagine sitting out there for hours and hours that day waiting for Fantasmic....it's just going to be so crowded!

I'm hoping to get a locker that day, too. I'm thinking if we arrive early and head straight there, that we can get one. I'll also be bringing a sweater for the evening and for the early morning and storing it for the day, I hope! Along with some frozen water bottles, food, whatever. I plan to not have a lot on me during the day.

• Gloomy Day, probably rain

There are lockers that are pretty big. About the size of the ones you may remember from high school?? On that day it should be the VERY FIRST THING YOU DO. Because they will probably go fast. I do suggest bringing a sweatshirt because it has been chilly in the evening but you can just bring a light one since you'll get a lot of body heat.

As for Fantasmic - you'll need to stake out your area very early. Possibly 2 - 4 hours before.

As for a blanket, I would suggest one of those large beach towels instead. They are more light weight than a blanket and if you pick one up at Walmart for really cheap you can justify people stepping all over it and food being dropped on it.

Be sure to check the schedule for the day and have fun!!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Thanks for the replies. Fantasmic is running three times that evening. I do not know if we will last that long, but I just want to be prepared

Thanks MiceChatters.
    Pop Century Resort

• Hooterville, USA

It always cools off here at night. If you are from a climate where there is high humidity, you will be cold here. Good advice on getting that locker early. Good questions all.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• No bacon; sausage.

She's from Chicago. I think she should be able to handle the deep freeze of a 65 degree SoCal evening.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Actually if it only drops to 65 at night, I won't even need that sweatshirt.

I just do not enjoy sitting on the cold ground. I am sure the 6 year old, traveling with us, would also rather sit on a blanket, if it is not too congested, depending on which Fantasmic we end up at.

Of course all this may be irrelevant, if we poop out early. Then we will have to catch Fantasmic on another night, since we are staying until the 22nd.
    Pop Century Resort

• Jacob <3 Cotton Candy

Cool Re: These questions might seem weird - but I am asking them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann
    Actually if it only drops to 65 at night, I won't even need that sweatshirt.

I just do not enjoy sitting on the cold ground. I am sure the 6 year old, traveling with us, would also rather sit on a blanket, if it is not too congested, depending on which Fantasmic we end up at.

Of course all this may be irrelevant, if we poop out early. Then we will have to catch Fantasmic on another night, since we are staying until the 22nd.
    You Better Stake out a spot two-four hours ahead of schedule. Just be sure to bring a very light sweater because depending if there is a breeze or not the water spray from Fantasmic can sometimes fall on viewers, particularly if they sit in front/center. Other than that have a wonderful and magical day at the happiest place on earth. PS give pin trading a try, it is a cool way to interact with castmembers and meet people visiting the park.
    Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CaraGoCeltica
    You Better Stake out a spot two-four hours ahead of schedule. Just be sure to bring a very light sweater because depending if there is a breeze or not the water spray from Fantasmic can sometimes fall on viewers, particularly if they sit in front/center. Other than that have a wonderful and magical day at the happiest place on earth. PS give pin trading a try, it is a cool way to interact with castmembers and meet people visiting the park.
    Our kids are heavy into pin trading. I bought them some inexpensive pins, just to trade. We have been to WDW, but are really excited about being able to purchase some Disneyland pins. Since my grandson is unable to make this trip, I definitely am going to have to bring him back some Disneyland pins. Our WDTC package includes a lanyard and pin, I believe. Just so much to remember for my trip, sometimes, it overwhelming.

Deep breath, Have fun.
    Pop Century Resort

hmm people do bring blankets..but a lot of people tend to just use their MAPS as seats .. i myself just love sitting on PLAIn OLE DISNEYLAND FLOOR! haha u kan FEEL THE MAGIC ThROUGH URE BUTT! haha but one TIP really quick.. i went the third week of june..when it wasn't QUITE as busee as it is now. but i saw the firework show and went to watch fantasmic after.and ..if u dont get like RIGHT UP and like SNAKE URE WAY through the crowd to get to fantasmic as FAST as possible..it'z gonna be hard to get a front seat.so i hope u have some snaking skills! but on terms of weather..i've found it not to get cold a lot cuz socal just seems to get WARMER AND WARMER! but check the weather channel. sometimes i just wear long pants and bring a light..over shirt or something cuz it doesn't get too cold. hope that helped!
    Currently at DreamWorks Animation SKG

Former Disneyland Adventureland Castmember
    [Skipper & Archaeologist]

• Official Mice Chat person

Well, if you are staying until the 22nd, I personaly wouldn't try to see the fireworks and fantasmic in one night. Disneyland is smaller than Disneyworld, with smaller paths. So trying to see both shows in one night on the crowdedest day in Disneyland history might not work out. But more power too ya!

I wouldn't bring a sweatshirt. (depending on weather) If it ends up being cold in the evening, there's always the choice of buying a sweater. It could be a souveneer and a be useful at the same time

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I do not know exactly what our priorities will be that night of the anniversary. We just want to be prepared. We will probably have some very tired kids. Perhaps we will end the day by staking out a place for Fantasmic and making that the end of our day. Or maybe we will watch the fireworks and do Fantasmic another night. It all depends on how well , or in mostly likelyhood how poorly the nagivation is through the crowds.

I really appreciate everyone's opinions. Good to get those from people who have been there and done that.
    Pop Century Resort

• Sock Puppet

You can stake out a bench at the hub for the fireworks. We waited for 2 hours in that spot, but it was well worth it. This was in mid-June, so I don't know how much more you'll have to wait.

• Tour Ship Pilot

a shorter wait for Fantasmic can be had by taking the train to new orleans station before the first showing ends.Make your way twoards the front of the haunted mansion in the general derection of splash mountain. Near the end of the show look for the small army of CMs carrying brooms and dust pans and wait behind them.When the show ends the crowd is herded twoards the hub resulting in not many people getting in from that direction.Follow the broom toting CMs into the void where everyone left and you just have the show reset to wait instead of waiting several hours for the first showing
    REMOVE TAG BEFORE FLIGHT