Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "New" DCA

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

The "New" DCA

Please don't take this thread as another bash of DCA. We've pretty much done that to death. However, something's niggling at me. Disneyland is comprised of themed lands, each containing rides and attractions that match the theme.

The new personality of the Paradise Pier area of DCA is planned to invoke a Victorian air, yet the ride under construction is all about Toy Story. Not quite a match in my mind. Now, I'm not sure an attraction all about high-wheeler bicycles, handlebar mustaches and horseless carriages would work all that well either. Besides, we already kind of have that in Main Street USA.

So, are we all good with this notion that a DCA "land" can look like one thing on the outside, but contain wildly different stuff on the inside? I'm wondering how well I could adapt to something like a Buzz Lightyear ride with an entrance through the Golden Horseshoe.

Or is DCA just it's own animal with different rules? After all, Disneyland is unique and nothing says DCA has to mimic it. If fact, maybe it's best if DCA has it's own different and unique style.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Re: The "New" DCA

DCA doesn't, and shouldn't be expected to, follow the thematic rules governing DL. The entire Park, from conception, was themed to one purpose : the 'celebration' of California. DL operates under no such 'restrictions'.

I say 'restrictions' because it has ended up doing just that: restricting. To such a point that it seems Imagineers and Disney suits have just started plopping attractions in irrespective of theme, which is a shame, but understandable; as Guests seem to just want another "Disneyland", regardless of a 'California' theme...

Good topic, Tom.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Agreed, great topic. I also agree that DCA can pretty much do its own thing. DL is great, I love it, but part of why I love it is due to it being unique. DCA should not have to carbon copy the rules of theme.

Although it does indeed have different sections in it that are "themed" it already does incorperate a variety of things inside those sections (I really can't bring myself to even call them "lands") that don't always actually match the theme.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Tom, you point out a MAJOR flaw with the new ride in DCA.

I'm trying not to bash DCA with this post, but quite frankly
    the weakest link in ALL of DCA has ALWAYS been the Paradise
    Pier area. Weakest in theme, and weakest in how it tries to
    convey what the theme is. And it is the last area to receive
    any attention in trying to fix "the DCA problem".

Other than placing victorian outfits on the Toy Story characters,
    which would be silly (except Bo-Peep could get away with it )
    It really shows that Disney is having a difficult time in trying to
    decide on what the theme should be. That's not too encouraging
    for the area of the park that looks like just about any other 6 Flags
    park.

I'm really hoping they can get their act together and make this
    area something really special, but that darn carnival theme just
    looks like Disney is trying to make a mockery of cheaply run traveling
    fairs ~ by copying them. THAT is just a bad place to begin. And
    something I really don't think Disney will be able to "correct" without
    getting a bulldozer and a completely different idea.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I've never fancied the Toy Story theme of the upcoming attraction, however, if the outside is themed appropriately, then the attraction and Pier's themes could work together. Hopefully, some consideration will be taken on the inside of the attraction as well so that the Toy Story characters can exist somewhat appropriately inside a 1920s Victorian seaside pier setting.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Minion

[quote=Aladdin;2088017]Tom, you point out a MAJOR flaw with the new ride in DCA.

I'm trying not to bash DCA with this post, but quite frankly
    the weakest link in ALL of DCA has ALWAYS been the Paradise
    Pier area. Weakest in theme, and weakest in how it tries to
    convey what the theme is. And it is the last area to receive
    any attention in trying to fix "the DCA problem".

which would be silly (except Bo-Peep could get away with it )
    It really shows that Disney is having a difficult time in trying to
    decide on what the theme should be. That's not too encouraging
    for the area of the park that looks like just about any other 6 Flags
    park.

I'm really hoping they can get their act together and make this
    area something really special, but that darn carnival theme just
    looks like Disney is trying to make a mockery of cheaply run traveling
    fairs ~ by copying them. THAT is just a bad place to begin. And
    something I really don't think Disney will be able to "correct" without
    getting a bulldozer and a completely different idea.[/quote]

I'm glad somebody else wants to see Paradise Pier bulldozed. Getting to be on the bulldozing team of Paradise Pier, would be the ultimate Year of a Million Dreams prize.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    I've never fancied the Toy Story theme of the upcoming attraction, however, if the outside is themed appropriately, then the attraction and Pier's themes could work together. Hopefully, some consideration will be taken on the inside of the attraction as well so that the Toy Story characters can exist somewhat appropriately inside a 1920s Victorian seaside pier setting.
    Cause nuthin' says 1920s better than Buzz Lightyear, Mr. Potatoehead, and Etch-a-Sketch!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    Cause nuthin' says 1920s better than Buzz Lightyear, Mr. Potatoehead, and Etch-a-Sketch!
    Likewise, nothing says 1900 Main Street USA like Abraham Lincoln, who would have been dead for some 35 years.

If themed appropriately, inconsistencies in time and place can work. It just depends on the capabilities of today's Imagineers to actually make the themes work together in a way that's acceptable to parkgoers.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

If themed appropriately, inconsistencies in time and place can work. It just depends on the capabilities of today's Imagineers to actually make the themes work together in a way that's acceptable to parkgoers.
    Fortunately one rarely observes or overhears an abundance of puzzlement or debate concerning these concerns. Long lines and/or restroom locations are typically the main themes.

And yes, let's do leave cheap carny-type games to the professionals - USH.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Rock Star Minion

Likewise, nothing says 1900 Main Street USA like Abraham Lincoln, who would have been dead for some 35 years.
    I don't see anything wrong with this. The other example had toys existing in a time before they actually existed.
    Lincoln's existence would have been known in 1900's Main Street USA. And, it's entirely possible that actors of that time would have taken to a stage and performed Lincoln speeches.
    Now, the Main Street Cinema's showing 1920's and 1930's cartoons is a more analogous anachronism.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney View Post
    Or is DCA just it's own animal with different rules? After all, Disneyland is unique and nothing says DCA has to mimic it. If fact, maybe it's best if DCA has it's own different and unique style.
    It wouldn't be nearly as bad if it had its own rules. Problem starts with its using others' rules. I refer you to the supposed and infamous "PowerPoint Presentation."
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    which would be silly (except Bo-Peep could get away with it )...
    Meh. They're toys. Their owners can dress them up however they want. I refer you to Mr Potatohead's portraying a bank robber, and Buzz's portraying Mrs Nesbitt.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

What's funny is Paradise Pier is the best looking of the areas yet the cheesiest. I'm sure that wasn't their plan when it was designed.

Chad

• Minion

With the Pixar success, and the acquisition of Stan Lee's Marvel caricatures, I don't see why they don't just throw away the rule book, and really let that area become bigger-than-life, "Pixarish" or "Cartoonish" if you will, reflecting the imagination of these stories and caricatures. Do they really have to remain fixated on the California theme? Seems like the park is already growing out of those constrictions anyway. We know it had to to survive. I like what is happening over-all. The changes are so needed. They got the budget for the attractions, I hope they have learned that cheap doesn't work, it seems they have the right idea now with regards to the parks future. I they take the ball and run with it!
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

• Minion

carnie games turned into a ride with familiar characters

i dont understand why its a problem

1920s boardwalk, games, prizes, TOYS

we shouldnt for sure say anything about it not matching because we havnt been in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast