View Poll Results: Does TRON, in any incarnation, deserve representation in Tomorrowland?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it deserves recognition.

77 71.30%
  • No, it is Disney History, and should remain so.

31 28.70%
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

TRON's Triumphant Return to TL?

Both TRON and Dragonslayer from Walt Disney Pictures were pioneering acheivements in the use of computer-assisted animation (in Dragonslayer's case, it assisted in the stop-motion effects).

TRON's rather limited representation in the Parks was a short-sighted snub in my opinion. The TRON 'Super Speed' Tunnel was a lame, but vintage PM 'filler' effect, probably responsible for as many headaches, cases of vertigo, and nausea (if not outright vomiting)as America the Beautiful in CircleVision; but was that small, often forgotten feature enough of a 'nod' to a film that broke so much ground technologically?

While the film did take place in the present, its plot centered around a 'new, developmental' technology that 'digitized' tangible elements from the physical world into data to be stored on a computer, and then later re-assembled the stored information into physical, corporeal form. Doesn't this concept lend itself to a possibly great Dark Ride; being 'translated' into a computer world?

Would it, at this point, take a remake of the film to generate any interest? Even if enough interest is manufactured, would it be worthy of TL representation in the form of its own attraction?

• Minion

Re: TRON's Triumphant Return to TL?

While the movie is certainly weak drama - - the art direction, concept and look of TRON is amazing and memorable - and perfect for a cool attraction.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    While the movie is certainly weak drama - - the art direction, concept and look of TRON is amazing and memorable - and perfect for a cool attraction.
    Agreed. For sure. David Warner, as usual in the villain's role, did his usual outstandingly evil job, but otherwise weak theatre.

• DL Nerd

I just wanna throw glowing frisbees at people and ride the light-cycle.

That by itself would be GREATNESS

although this is Funny to picture....

"Originally, actor Peter O'Toole wanted to play the part of TRON, and vigorously tried to prove that he was the right man for the job by jumping between two hotel beds while Director Steven Lisberger sat and watched. (Source, Steven Lisberger panel interview at the 25th Anniversary presentation of TRON)"
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Junthor View Post
    I just wanna throw glowing frisbees at people and ride the light-cycle.

That by itself would be GREATNESS
    me, too.

• UT99 Forever

TRON?? Are you serious!?!

Nobody born after 1975 gives a crap about that movie.

Yes....... it would take remake to generate interest with the new generation.

• DL Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDuckFan View Post

a ride on some light-cycles would change their minds.
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• Eeyore smiling

Tron with PEOPLE MOVER? Now that is a question to be asked!

Laugh away if you must but invading Tron was one of my favorite parts of the Peoplemover when it was around

•   

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDuckFan View Post

True, but Song of the South was just as obscure, much older, and enjoyed little or no notariety when Splash Mountain was conceived and constructed. And I have heard (a lot lately ) that it is wildly popular. Great story-telling, commitment to theme, and creative execution are all that's necessary to make an attraction great, we have seen this time and again.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Junthor View Post
    "Originally, actor Peter O'Toole wanted to play the part of TRON, and vigorously tried to prove that he was the right man for the job by jumping between two hotel beds while Director Steven Lisberger sat and watched. (Source, Steven Lisberger panel interview at the 25th Anniversary presentation of TRON)"
    I can't imagine Peter O'Toole in a bodysuit (more accurately: I do not wish to imagine Peter O'Toole in a bodysuit).

• Minion

I remeber before Tron took over the space that there was the "world of speed" with motorcycles driving fast (Projected) past the peaple mover. Tron was very popular when it came out, and the arcade games where cool for their time too. I loved the light cycles. I think there should be a nod in tomorrowland for both of these lost attraction elements.

On another note, I thought there was going to be a new Tron? something like Tron 2.0, An updated story would be cool.

Maybe when the next Peoplemover comes around they will do something envolving Tron again.

• Minion

>>True, but Song of the South was just as obscure, much older, and enjoyed little or no notariety when Splash Mountain was conceived and constructed.<<

Actually, Song of the South had been successfully re-issued in 1987, just a few years before the ride was built - - and was not yet the obscure film it was to become under Eisner and Co.

But your point is well taken that the ride stands on its own with the cool imagery. It has no choice!

•   

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    >>True, but Song of the South was just as obscure, much older, and enjoyed little or no notariety when Splash Mountain was conceived and constructed.<<

Actually, Song of the South had been successfully re-issued in 1987, just a few years before the ride was built - - and was not yet the obscure film it was to become under Eisner and Co.

But your point is well taken that the ride stands on its own with the cool imagery. It has no choice!
    SoS has had several re-releasings I would think--I didn't see any parallels between its release and SM's construction a couple years later (but there certainly may have been a connection), as SoS's re-release didn't ring any box office bells. But in any case, you're spot-on about SoS's current state!

• Knows Where His Towel Is

No one remembers Tron, sure it was a groundreaking film, but for it to be remembered it needs to be more than groundbreaking.

To me, Tron is just another mediocre drama released by Disney during that time period.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast