Sad The Ward Kimball runs out of steam

On June 30th the Ward Kimball was making the final run around the park. As it left Tomorrowland Station it went about 20 feet or so and then quit. The crew was unable to get it moving again and another locomotive had to be brought from the roundhouse to tow it back. Don't know what happened but an article on MousePlanet says it was taken offline July 1st for some "final tweaking".

Re: The Ward Kimball runs out of steam

This is a bummer. I am looking so forward to seeing this engine running. I have heard so many great things about it and can't wait to see her running. I do hope they get it online soon.

• Closed Account

This could get techincal, but here goes:

Part of the mechanism that controls the steam to the cylinder called the "valve yoke" broke. This piece, still bearing the original Baldwin stamping, is nearly 103 years old. As with any piece of machinery that old, sometimes they just "give out."

New valve yokes are being machined.

• Senior Minion

Wow Sorry to hear this, Ihope they can remedie this soon. I would love to see W.K in action. The photos show its beauty well.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Lowering Expectations

This is sorta not related, but I'll say it anyway. Yesterday I was on the DLRR, Fred Gurley I believe, on the stretch from New Orleans to Mickey's Toontown, and the train had to make an unscheduled stop for the train in front of us when we were almost to that tunnel right before the station. After sitting there for about two minutes, the conductor announced that he was then going to run the train BACKwards all the way back to the New Orleans station! So we started going backwards all the way past the Rivers of America, stopped, then the conductor announced we were going forward again! That was, um, rather weird.

• insufferable know-it-all

Anyone else notice they've been using the "facing forward" cars (holiday cars?) lately?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR
    This is sorta not related, but I'll say it anyway. Yesterday I was on the DLRR, Fred Gurley I believe, on the stretch from New Orleans to Mickey's Toontown, and the train had to make an unscheduled stop for the train in front of us when we were almost to that tunnel right before the station. After sitting there for about two minutes, the conductor announced that he was then going to run the train BACKwards all the way back to the New Orleans station! So we started going backwards all the way past the Rivers of America, stopped, then the conductor announced we were going forward again! That was, um, rather weird.
    There's a rather steep grade back on that stretch. Once the train stops on the grade with a heavy train, sometimes it can't get going again. You went back to the "flatlands" in order to get another running start at the grade.

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

Steve -

Any word on when the Ward Kimball will be running again?
    WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

• Closed Account

I haven't heard. The valve yokes are really rather simple in design--shouldn't be too difficult to fabricate. If I hear anything, I'll post it.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Anyone else notice they've been using the "facing forward" cars (holiday cars?) lately?
    I do believe that which type of cars they use depends on which engine they use. Last I had heard, they were running three side facing and one forward facing. However, my memory sucks and I could be horribly wrong!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland
    I do believe that which type of cars they use depends on which engine they use. Last I had heard, they were running three side facing and one forward facing. However, my memory sucks and I could be horribly wrong!
    It just depends on which car sets are available for use. They like to use the Excursion cars (with forward facing seats), because, as a former DRR conductor noted, you could squeeze so many people into it. There's a reason the Retlaw-era conductors called it "The Sponge!"

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano
    It just depends on which car sets are available for use. They like to use the Excursion cars (with forward facing seats), because, as a former DRR conductor noted, you could squeeze so many people into it. There's a reason the Retlaw-era conductors called it "The Sponge!"
    Well, plus loading/unloading so way more efficient then the holiday cars.
    -Monorail Man

• wasting time

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Um, those have been back in service since last fall.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

But you can see things more easily with the side facing cars.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Newbie.

Wow, I've heard of rides breaking down, but never the trains. That's very interesting, and I bet very rare. They sure do a good job keeping them in service.
    As nice as the other parks are, we must always remember that it all began at Disneyland. Disneyland should be the crown jewel in the Disney crown.