Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Santa Barbara, CA

Re: Pixar PlayPals Parade! Coming Next Spring 2008!!!

Why not do a spectacular in the tradition of "Illuminations" called "Acquisitions"?

It would be a lagoon show featuring all the properties the company has bought to fill in their own creative void (except Baby Einsten and the Marsualami) . Mickey in his Sorcerer's Hat opens up a Cauldron of cash and magically buys the rights to our favorite stories and characters. Once out on thier own, the characters take over and eventually move Mickey and friends out and take over the show! C3P0 and Indiana Jones battle Pluto and Goofy. Darth Maul and Miss Piggy pour sugar into the gas tank of Herbie the Love Bug. Wall-E fights Rex. They all meet at Club Penguin for the final showdown. Hilarity ensues. What a show. Giant inflatable Michael Eisner breathes fire, reduces all the characters to breakfast cereals and happy meal toys, things seem hopeless. Video is run of ethnically balanced group of kids singing in post show gift shop "Buy the stock...tuppence a share". Then in a twinkle of an eye.. they are bought by the Show's sponsor Google! Big pyro climax.

Hostile takeovers is perfect theming for DCA!
    Last edited by Cousin Orville; 08-24-2007 at 09:22 PM.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

This is old news, and was first mentioned by Al Lutz in one of his updates several months ago. Do a search through his archives for more details, the financial budget, etc. on this new parade. He's also been updating on us about a possible delay for the parade caused by the DCA construction schedule in 2008-09.

• I am number 4 of 999

Ew, I don't want to get wet while watching a parade!
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

Awww. I love Block Party Bash! I think it's very fun to participate in as the music makes me want to dance along with everyone. Although I do remember that my reaction wasn't so positive the first time I watched it. LOL! Somehow it grew on me. Now, we try to watch it every time we're at DCA.

That being said, I think next Spring would be a good time for a new parade. BPB has had a very good run, but I think change would be good too. And I do agree with many others here that the proposed title for the new parade could be much better. It does sound like a pre-school activity.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    The lack of relevance to the California theme aside, anything to replace the monstrosity that is Block Party Bash is welcome.

Hopefully, the Pixar characters will get to shine in a traditional Disney parade, instead of a "hip," "young," and"energetic" "street party." Block Party Bash's use of overused decades-old pop songs, garish colors, and otherwise unimaginative float designs rendered it one of the tackiest productions ever rolled out by the Disneyland Resort Entertainment Department... and its supposed popularity still boggles my mind to this day.
    I completely, wholeheartedly disagree with you on this one. Block Party is the next evolution of the movable stage show that Disney's been trying out since Lion King (and then through Light Magic and POD), and this one gets it almost right.
    It IS energetic. If you look at the performers, they obviously have a lot of faith in their production to put it all out there every show, even in the summer heat.
    And the crowds (such as they are at DCA) do love it. It's also very popular with other cast members and has claimed a number of transfers, due to their desire to dance in actual challenging routines while interacting with guests.
    I don't see what the problem is. It's out there, and it's putting it all on the line. As far as I'm concerned, it gets the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
    Why not do a spectacular in the tradition of "Illuminations" called "Acquisitions"?

It would be a lagoon show featuring all the properties the company has bought to fill in their own creative void (except Baby Einsten and the Marsualami) . Mickey in his Sorcerer's Hat opens up a Cauldron of cash and magically buys the rights to our favorite stories and characters. Once out on thier own, the characters take over and eventually move Mickey and friends out and take over the show! C3P0 and Indiana Jones battle Pluto and Goofy. Darth Maul and Miss Piggy pour sugar into the gas tank of Herbie the Love Bug. Wall-E fights Rex. They all meet at Club Penguin for the final showdown. Hilarity ensues. What a show. Giant inflatable Michael Eisner breathes fire, reduces all the characters to breakfast cereals and happy meal toys, things seem hopeless. Video is run of ethnically balanced group of kids singing in post show gift shop "Buy the stock...tuppence a share". Then in a twinkle of an eye.. they are bought by the Show's sponsor Google! Big pyro climax.

Hostile takeovers is perfect theming for DCA!
    Mmmmm.... Now, that's good satire!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    I completely, wholeheartedly disagree with you on this one. Block Party is the next evolution of the movable stage show that Disney's been trying out since Lion King (and then through Light Magic and POD), and this one gets it almost right.
    It IS energetic. If you look at the performers, they obviously have a lot of faith in their production to put it all out there every show, even in the summer heat.
    And the crowds (such as they are at DCA) do love it. It's also very popular with other cast members and has claimed a number of transfers, due to their desire to dance in actual challenging routines while interacting with guests.
    I don't see what the problem is. It's out there, and it's putting it all on the line. As far as I'm concerned, it gets the job done.
    The performance-based, moving stage show isn't an issue at all. But trying to do it by setting the performances and dance routines to Disney/Pixar-renditions of "Shout," and the "YMCA" is incredibly weak. These songs are have no relevance to Disney, Pixar, or Disney's California Adventure park, and have no business being sung by Pixar characters like Mrs. Incredible or Sulley.

Not only that, but the "moving stages" (floats) themselves are quite cheap-looking. The garish, bright, primary day-glo colors of the floats and the otherwise unimaginative design of the floats do nothing for the featured characters.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Happiest Girl On Earth

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    The performance-based, moving stage show isn't an issue at all. But trying to do it by setting the performances and dance routines to Disney/Pixar-renditions of "Shout," and the "YMCA" is incredibly weak. These songs are have no relevance to Disney, Pixar, or Disney's California Adventure park, and have no business being sung by Pixar characters like Mrs. Incredible or Sulley.
    The purpose of these songs in the parade is to cause instant audience participation. As opposed to the HSM/HSM2 parades (where only viewers of the films would want to play along), there is a small chance that someone in the audience HASN'T heard these songs. These songs are staples to dances, parties, receptions, etc - everyone knows them and can catch on to the fun immediately!!

There I was somewhere West of Tomorrowland
    Flying through the stars just like
    Peter Pan
    I said...Dang this looks too good to be true...

It's a nice day when you wake up in
    Disneyland...
    -Five For Fighting, "Disneyland"

• Man of Logic and Reason

I think Block Party Bash is fun. It's appealing to a slightly younger audience, but could skew older if adults would just chill out and let themselves look a little silly. That said, I don't ever get around to stopping and watching it (but that's just because it gets so hot along the parade route at DCA that I prefer not to and that's another issue).

As for the water bit. If you have seen video of Hong Kong's WaterWorks parade I think you would agree that it is fun, imaginitive, and perfect for DCA (once you remove the gardening theme which they will in favor of Pixar).

And finally, as for the Pixar if you haven't been keeping up on Al's column then you may still be in denial, but if you have then you should be well aware that Pixar character based attractions are bountiful in DCA's future. Get over it. It's going to happen and frankly I'm fine with it. I don't know if you checked lately, but Disney and Pixar are the same now. Woody and Buzz are just as much a part of Disney as Mickey and there is nothing wrong with trying to include recent and in some cases more relevent (in terms of modernity) characters to parades. Besides, you should be happy they draw a distinction between Pixar at Disneyland and Pixar at DCA.

• Minion

ORWEN: Us Cauldron girls love Block Party Bash, too! We always made sure we saw it whenever we went to DCA. Now we'll have the chance to also see it in Florida when it comes to Disney M-G-M--soon to be re-named Disney Hollywod Studios. So what if the songs they used for this didn't come from Pixar movies? The songs that were picked seemed to fit in just fine and the teenagers who gave their best performances for this fun parade are worth watching over and over again.

Playpals? That's a lame title but I do have to give them credit for not using those ridiculous one word titles they are so fond of...Believe...Dream...Magic...Wishes...Fuzzy...Bu nnies...Ooey...Gooey...etc. Has Disney fired all of the creative writers?
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan

• Shubisha

People who hate block party bash are probably going to be very disappointed with the new parade because block party was much more successful than they wish it had been. :P

Talking Re: Pixar PlayPals Parade! Coming Next Spring 2008!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    I tend to agree with you on this. I think the parade is fun, and the performers look like they're having fun too!!!! So what if the songs are oldies. Everyone knows them. Just like at a wedding..................these songs tend to get played alot, and still everyone is having a blast no matter how corny they are!!!!

Now about the name...............when the title had Playpals in it....my first thought was..............is this some kind of interactive thing where the audience has to have a Playpal Mickey like at WDW, (or Pixar characters in this instance) to participate????????? Ha Ha!!!!!!!!!!! Anywhos the name does sound rather juvenile.

By the way...I grew up in Redlands. Still have family in Mentone.

You Know what!
    This is the stuff that makes me angry! You know the creative people that work for Disney work very hard and you dont know how stressful a job like that can be when you have deadlines, and your parade or show has to be open by a certain time. The "Pixar-Playpals" parade is very fresh and imaginative, this is the next generation of Disney theme park parades, more updated music, fresh new beats,new characters, colorful costumes, show stops, and interactivity with the guests!. We have seen the how people hated the "Eureka parade" from a few years back, and that was a classic parade which no one took a favor to,so why not learn from your mistakes and create something more fresh and better than you did before?? Many of you may not know but when BLOCK PARTY was being created for the 50th it had many changes and some floats were never built due to budjet cuts due to the 50th! It was going to include Stitch as Elvis, and the Muppets on another float. Well that concept never happened and the folks at WDI Entertainment for Disneyland had to meet a deadline so what became of BLOCK PARTY BASH was never what was meant to be seen!. It was going to be more grander and bigger!. Well with the Pixar Play Pals parade they have created something of that caliber!. I can tell you this, Kids and adults will have fun with it. In the summer its going to be a BIG HIT with the "WET MODE". My friend who has worked on some of Disneyland's shows and parades has worked very hard and does hope that you will enjoy this new parade as much as people did with BLOCK PARTY. After all your lucky to even be getting a new parade for DCA! On a Higher Note (WALT DISNEYS PARADE OF DREAMS) is going to keep running at Disneyland Park til 2009, after that when it shall be shipped off to Walt Disney World Resort and it shall be replaced with a new parade!)

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

I can guarantee there will be some people who will hate it simply because of the 'Wet Mode'. I don't even appreciate people spraying me with those little fans.

Also, not everyone who responded to this thread are unaware of what goes into opening a new parade/show. I, myself, have opened 2 brand new parades and 2 brand new shows at Disney. One show had changes up until the day before soft openings.

Just because some members don't like the concept doesn't mean they don't appreciate the effort that was put into the creation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast