Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Disneyland Freak

Re: Fire Matt Ouimet!

Quote Originally Posted by Harleydad
    I would like to know what kindergarten the person in charge of crowd control for their degree from. At some point, there is someone who is THE person in charge of crowd control.
    Probably the same genious that decided to build an on ramp to the 101 North from the 405 North with an onramp intersecting this on ramp to get to the 405 North making this the most congested freeway in the nation (according to various different studies) Oh wait... that was a Trojan from USC! Figures

Just to add actual input to the topic at hand... this fireworks show has proved insanely popular and large crowds gathering around the castle to watch is something pretty new. There weren't soft openings to get the kinks worked out so things are still likely in heavy state of change. Things will be worked out, sure it stinks you experienced some of the worst of it but one must applaud a new offering at the DLR that people actually want to see
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

• Banned User

3 weeks ago I was at DL. We wanted to be able to slip into Fantasyland just as it reopened after fireworks. So we rode the train to ToonTown station.

Upon exiting the train, I decided I really needed a restroom. Restrooms by FL theater were closed, so I headed to the castle restroom. The whole walkway was closed, so we continued on into Tomorrowland and I used the restroom by the TL train station.

By this time, it was too late to fight our way back upstream to Fantasyland, so we just rode Autopia instead.

I could have gotten all mad and crap about how it is stupid to not have any restrooms open in the northeast section of the park... Or I could just use a restroom somewhere else and finding something else fun to do. I chose the latter.

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by Arilvdc
    Perhaps it's not the person in charge of crowd control, it's the crowd itself. You can have a genius plan, but if no one listens to you...
    LOL. Good observation, especially when HD admits to breaking the rules himself because they didn't suit him. Very good observation indeed, Arilvdc.
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? Don't speak for the AP's please. APs should know better than to expect to travel from IASW to Main St at 8:45 night-------- you get no sympathy for that one. No you are right its NOT naive- naive implies you didn't know any better, no its ridiculous or stupid- you know its gonna be crowded but you try anyways? Isn't that the definition of insanity?
    Also a good point. As an PAP holder, I know when and when not to go to the park. If I don't want to deal with crowds, I don't go for the fireworks. If I don't mind crowds, I do. Same for Fantasmic. But I wouldn't show up during the fireworcs or Fantasmic, and then get peeved because of the crowds. That's just plain silly. I wonder sometimes if, when issuing APs, DL should make people take IQ and personality assesment tests. I'd bet we wouldn't have nearly as many people running around expecting special treatment because of the huge amounts of money we pay for our passes. (that was sarcasm, by the way. I don't think annual passes, even the premiums, are a lot of money. Mine certainly pays for itself dozens of times a year)

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    I wonder sometimes if, when issuing APs, DL should make people take IQ and personality assesment tests. I'd bet we wouldn't have nearly as many people running around expecting special treatment because of the huge amounts of money we pay for our passes. (that was sarcasm, by the way.)
    You're making this problem far more complicated to solve (even if sarcastically). There is a way. CM Matt just might be able to pull it off.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

It has been quite interesting wathing the posts here. One can almost tell who is an employee and who is not.

Yes, I am an APer. My wife and I have been AP holders since they came into existance. What I would like to know is where it states that as a Disney fan, we are not allowed to be upset or disagree with anything that is happening in the park. If that is the case, then everyone whoever compained about Pressler must not be a fan either.

We know the park like the back of our hands. We looked at the train line and decided that it would be faster to just deal with the crowd. Excuse me for not realizing that crowd control was a big problem and there would appear to be little to no plan to get the people out of the area.

Maybe the fireworks show plans started a long time ago, but having worked in extremely large corporations, I can tell you changes can happen immediately if the person in charge wants to make changes.

• insufferable know-it-all

You're missing the points people are making. And how on earth can you tell the difference between APs and CMs when many here are or have been both?

Point #1: as an AP you know, or are expected to know, that DL is far more crowded in summer than it is during the rest of the year, so you know what you're getting into when you go to the park during that time of year, and ought to realize that patience is going to be needed.

Point #2: as an AP, you have the ability to ride IASW some other time if the park is too crowded to accommodate your busy schedule.

Point #3: Your making a poor decision between walking and taking the train is not Disney's fault. As an AP, you know what time the fireworks, Fantasmic, and parades are (at least approximately), and should probably have seen them all by now, and therefore have a resonable expectation of the crowd size. You've been an AP long enough that you ought to know the difference and it's not Disney's fault when you're wrong.

Point #4: Safety comes first. Disney has determined that one-way traffic paths, however long, are safer than allowing 2-way traffic in areas where the crowd is likely to want to disperse at once, creating a dangerous and crushing situation. Sure, it took you longer to get out, but that's better than not leaving at all, which is what could have been the case, and used to be before they created the 1-way walkways.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Reaver of Souls

Well, Harley, let me first say that I believe boards like this exist for the foremost purpose of allowing people to express their opinions - positive and negative - about anything and everything. It is also an open forum in which to disagree (hopefully in a civil way!) with others' opinions, and debate them.

That being said, as an AP and visitor to this board, you really should have been aware of the huge crowds of people that wait for this show (which I find odd, because, other than paying homage to the rides, I personally don't find this show to be one of their better fireworks display. Far below the quality of "Believe..." in any case), and done what you could to avoid them. Going through the hub before, during, or right after the fireworks is madness aking to trying to sprint straight down a Min Street sidewalk during a parade. It just doesn't happen. I've seen the show several times, and I'm actually quite impressed with the improvements in crowd control since it started. Those first couple of nights... yikes.

Is it inconvenient? Yep. Frustrating? Often times. But it is, for the most part, the best they can do. It's funny how when DL has rides/attractions that aren't so good, people squawk and complain, and when they run a show as good as everyone thinks this show it, and causes crowd control issues, people still complain. I'd hate to work for Disney - where no good deed goes unpunished...

• Banned User

The problem isn't crowd control. The problem is a fireworks show that can only be best enjoyed from 1 place.... The hub.

You saw the line for the train and gambled that you could hack your way through 30,000 fans that were smashed into the hub to watch fireworks faster than taking the train.

You gambled and lost and now want the president of the resort fired for this?

Note: Pre-Remember, it was fairly easy to do all of DLR's nighttime entertainment in a single night. You could do MSEP, then rush into DL, catch the fireworks from just about anywhere, then see the second showing of Fantasmic!

Now, it is nearly impossible to do all 3 shows in a single night, and even a bit difficult to do them in only 2 nights.

I think what we're seeing is growing pains as the park transisitions from a locals park to a multi-day vacation destination for out-of-towners. I expect significant changes to the AP to be the next major change. Then, you won't have to worry about popping in to the resort to do 1 ride, and getting cought in crowds. Popping in for 1 ride in the middle of summer should be cost prohibative.

• At the Gym or at DL

It has been quite interesting wathing the posts here. One can almost tell who is an employee and who is not.

Yes, I am an APer. My wife and I have been AP holders since they came into existance. What I would like to know is where it states that as a Disney fan, we are not allowed to be upset or disagree with anything that is happening in the park. If that is the case, then everyone whoever compained about Pressler must not be a fan either.

We know the park like the back of our hands. We looked at the train line and decided that it would be faster to just deal with the crowd. Excuse me for not realizing that crowd control was a big problem and there would appear to be little to no plan to get the people out of the area.

Maybe the fireworks show plans started a long time ago, but having worked in extremely large corporations, I can tell you changes can happen immediately if the person in charge wants to make changes.

You have every right to make critical statements of Disney and this forum is the perfect place to make them. Of course others have a right to disagree also.

I understand getting caught in crowd jams and rerouted around the park is frustrating. I think what raised the dander of a few folks on this board was:

a) the ridiculous title of the thread

b) the fact that you disobeyed a DL Security Officer and told him "throw me out if you don't like it, I want out anyway." He must of been pretty cool because if I was that officer just trying to do my job I would have tried to have your AP revoked.

c) As an APer you should have expected mass crowds during the 50th. You proposed no better way to route the traffic, just said they were doing it all wrong.

I hope you have better luck on your next visit.

• Rock Star Minion

It has been quite interesting watching the posts here. One can almost tell who is an employee and who is not.
    (I wonder which one you think I am?)

...If that is the case, then everyone whoever compained about Pressler must not be a fan either.
    Now you're just being facetious. CM Matt is the savior. Pressler is the devil. Please make a note of it.

Crowd control exists because of the crowd. Without the crowd, there would be no need to it. Really, it's not a failure of crowd control. This crowd, left uncontrolled, is a hazard, according to the local Fire Marshal. It's bigger than DL can handle with mild controls. What's the alternative, besides back-door exits all over the park for the extremely few guests who want to leave during fireworks from the far side of the park?
    If CM Matt is to be faulted for greenlighting a hugely popular fireworks show, then so be it. We should fire the guy who created Disneyland while we're at it. Too fricken' popular, I tell ya.

Yeah, we're pounding on you pretty hard. We'll mold into a CM-Matt-lover clone soon enough, though.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by GymMouse
    a) the ridiculous title of the thread
    It's called "marketing." Extremely successful example of it, too.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    It's called "marketing." Extremely successful example of it, too.

Actually, the only thing worse than a marketing campaign that gets ignored, is a marketing campaign that angers your target market.

If HarleyDad wanted some sympathy for his inability to easily escape 20,000 people packed into the hub to see fireworks, the last thing he should have done is start by angering us with his thread title.

Something like "Let me out of Disneyland, please!" would have been much more lilely to get people in the proper frame of mind to agree. We've all just wanted to get out..... That would have been a title we could relate to.

But declaring Ouimet should be fired..... Them's fightin' words!

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    Them's fightin' words!
    "Those are fighting words in my country!"

"Well? Let's fight."

"We're not in my country..."

just a question here...not a rant ...so maybe this will turn this thread to somewhat of a more 'neutral' tone. I've yet to experience the 'joy' of post-fireworks-crowd-hoopla this summer, but will be going and doing so next week, thus...I wanted to ask: If you're in the hub watching the show, ...once it has ended, of all your options of destinations, are you able to just (fairly 'easily') turn around and go to Main Street?? -as opposed to trying to go to one of the lands?... just wondering. And ...if I was to choose to go to a land...would TL be my best bet? Thanks all for your time!!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast