Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: The New Bride Effect

And the Kat Cressida backlash continues on the boards.

• Rarely has a point

Blog Entries

The main reason I love having Constance in the ride is because it took out the attic popup ghosts. They always made me feel to clausterphobic, and I have never felt clausterphobic ever before or ever again in my life.

In Sleeping Beauty Castle's Darkest Chamber

I love Constance but I wish they would make her bigger. I know she is "floating" but she looks like she is four feet high from the Doombuggies.

CHECK OUT MY NEW MUSIC LOOP THAT I DESIGNED
    FOR AUTUMN TIME AT DISNEYLAND!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL6fk6Ua54k

With kindest regards,
    Maleficent Fan

disneymusicsamples | magicmusic.net

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by DarthDucky View Post
    The main reason I love having Constance in the ride is because it took out the attic popup ghosts. They always made me feel to clausterphobic, and I have never felt clausterphobic ever before or ever again in my life.
    Last I checked they still had the pop-ups which still annoy the crap out of me, but I haven't been in a little while. I LOVE the portraits and the overall additions to the storyline. Previously it was subliminal, and you had to connect a few dots, but they made it obvious. I just felt that the "new" bride seemed even more of a fake then the old one.

I also seem to remember 2 versions of the old bride. 1 with glowing eyes and 1 without. I could be wrong, but I remember the one without eyes (think Silver Surfer) and THAT was creepy...
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Banned User

I think that the bride looks a bit like Julie Andrews in the face. =)

• Banned User

The actress who does Constance is Julia Lee, who was in a couple episodes of Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Kat Cressida does her voice.

Here's Julia Lee's website: http://www.julialeeactress.com

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

If what I've heard is true, the current version of Constance we have isn't the final version we're supposed to get, and upgrades for her are intended sometime in the near future.

Ignoring how obvious it is that she's projected onto a mannequin (what bugs ME is that the mannequin has a bunch of wrinkles on the neck, so Constance looks...weird), her story is just really cool and interesting. Love her.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Constance has never been quite the same since she got put back in after last year's Haunted Mansion Holiday season.

Since then, I've only ever seen her in varying degrees of distortion and blurriness. It's a shame, because when I saw the effect for the first time the first night she was put in, I remember thinking "How'd they do that?"

Now, its really very painfully obvious that she's a projection. A very unaligned, out-of-focus, and otherwise underwhelming projection. A pity, when the rest of the attic, with the haunting portraits, the dishevled wedding loot, and menacing Wedding March builds up so much anticipation for the Bride, and then shes very unimpressive.

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Last I checked they still had the pop-ups which still annoy the crap out of me, but I haven't been in a little while. I LOVE the portraits and the overall additions to the storyline. Previously it was subliminal, and you had to connect a few dots, but they made it obvious. I just felt that the "new" bride seemed even more of a fake then the old one.

I also seem to remember 2 versions of the old bride. 1 with glowing eyes and 1 without. I could be wrong, but I remember the one without eyes (think Silver Surfer) and THAT was creepy...
    Actually, the Attic pop-up ghosts were removed when Constance was added. No longer do they pop up and mockingly shout "I Do!" .... Afterall, who would want to mock Constance? She killed her husbands - you wouldn't want to mess with that!

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• T'zambezi makes me sneezy

Forgive my innocence, but is this the bride that says, "Til death do us paaaart...mwah ha haaaa!"? Because it feels mean-spirited and out of place in an otherwise whimsically spooky attraction.

I love Constance and the pictures. The ghost piano player is probably my favorite effect in the mansion now. I haven't noticed any changes since she was reinstalled after the HMH so I will have to check.
    Check out my new Disney Blog here. What it lacks in quality it makes up with... Well, nothing I guess.

• =)

To be technical it is played in a lower key and slower to sound more menacing.
    Nope. DisneyIPresume had it right. It is in a minor key--three minor keys, in fact. It starts in A minor, then modulates to Bb minor, then again to B minor, to be exact. Wagner's original "Bridal Chorus" is in a major key...Bb major, I believe. Lowering the key of a piece does absolutely nothing to make it sound "more menacing." In fact, most people won't even notice any difference at all, since the relationships between the notes don't change. But if you take a happy piece and put it into a minor key, it will generally become sad, angry, or creepy. Similarly, a piece in a minor key will sound happy if put into a major key. Anyway, "Bridal Chorus" is indeed played in a minor key in the attic--but it's not a direct "translation." The chords have been altered to create a more bizarre feel. For example, instead of going down from Am to E and back, this version stays on Am a little longer and then descends to an implied Ebadd#4. A plain old Eb major chord also makes an appearance. The chord alterations not only make the piece sound better but also help it to fit bit better within the chord progressions of Grim Grinning Ghosts, albeit the two pieces still have very different chord progressions.

The tempo (speed) of the attic pianist's rendition of "Bridal Chorus" is slowed down for one simple reason: it needs to line up with the graveyard jamboree. This also created the need for more alterations to the piece in terms of structure. If you compare the shadow pianist's rendition to the original piece, you'll notice that the structure has been substantially changed in order to fit Grim Grinning Ghosts, which plays in the graveyard.

Sorry to rag on you, but I'm pretty nitpicky about people using musical terms correctly. In conclusion, yes, the Bridal Chorus is taken to a slightly lower key...but then it goes higher twice, ending up in a higher key than the original, and none of these changes make it sound menacing. What makes it sound as creepy as it does is the fact that it's being played in a minor key, with masterful alterations to the chords to make it sound cooler and fit in with Grim Grinning Ghosts.

• Banned User

One more point for Datameister.
    I personal love(d) her, until this past year...she looks...messed up, for lack of a better expression. It's like the projection goes PAST her now and looks so fake - and i love how someone said that it's too 'advanced' - well, I can get a candle and make hand puppets if you'd like...

• =)

One more point for Datameister.
    Thank you very much! Keep in mind we're not supposed to discuss it publicly, though.

Anyway, I really wish I'd gotten a chance to see Constance last year. I've only seen her this year, so perhaps I would have found the effect far more impressive in its original form.

• okeydokey

I think we all hate her because we're not eight anymore. Every seven-year-old I take inside is terrified and loves her. Maybe.
    Yay, betrothal!

• Minion

Love all the added elements...she looks positively evil, and quite happy about it!
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast