• done

Piano at Coke Corner?

I noticed last night that there's a second piano in the old location, right outside Coke Corner. I think Johnny was playing at the Pavilion, and the second piano was just closed up. Anyone know why that's there?

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: Piano at Coke Corner?

No, but I'm dead curious now that you've brought it up. One can only hope they'll return Rod & co. to their rightful place (and with them, we their fans).

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

it looks like an old coke corner piano will be part of the 50th live auction next friday night, as listed at the disneygallery.com.

how many of these pianos do you suppose they have?

• Blue & Fuzzy

AUCTION LOT #17

Coca Cola Refreshment Corner Piano

Since 1969, Guests young and old strolling past Coca Cola Refreshment Corner would often hear familiar renditions of rags and popular standards, played by our energetic Cast from one of the upright piano's that lived in this location.

Dimensions:
    4'H x 5'W x 2'D

Estimate:
    $3,000 - $4,000
    Hey! I recognize that piano!

I was hoping that piano was there for Rod to play.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

To authenticate the 'old piano' for sale, you want to see (Yamaha Model) U1F (Serial) 5242156 on the harp - that's the last one before the "new" piano up on the Plaza Pavilion porch. Judging from the chips and wear in the paint, that's probably it.

Geek Alert: Yeah, I took a picture of the serial number...

And according to the players (and my ears) the action is trash. It needs a total rebuild, and all new tuning pegs too. And no " Corner Cafe' " canvas cover over the soundboard, they reused the old cover on the first new piano.

About the two pianos: From what Rod heard, they want the players to alternate between the two pianos on a set schedule for now - don't ask why, neither of us knows. The only reason I can take a wild guess at is in case they break enough strings to make one piano unplayable, they can shift to the other one full-time for the rest of the day.

By the way, Rod isn't going to be back in July, period. He's making good progress, but not as fast as hoped. He's thinking September, but if we all think really good thoughts August is not impossible.

--<< Bruce >>--

• out & about

I was noticing rod hasnt been around. you say hes making good progress... but what happened?
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by WRDest79
    I was noticing rod hasnt been around. you say hes making good progress... but what happened?
    Short version: Pinched nerve for his right foot and leg. When he was a teenager he had a broken lower back from a car accident that was fused, and bone had slowly grown into the hole they ran the nerve through. The surgeon had to go in and carefully clear out that channel.

Everything is slowly starting to work better, but nerves take their own sweet time healing, and they refuse to be rushed.

--<< Bruce >>--

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman
    By the way, Rod isn't going to be back in July, period.
    Please let Rod know that we all miss him and wish him the best. And we hope he'll be back as soon as he can.

Rod signed my record!!!
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

Johnny was playing piano yesterday (Friday, 7/8). He started on the Coke Corner piano at about 4:30PM, then moved to the Pavilion piano at some point in the evening, only to finish off the night back at Coke Corner. I don't know why; never asked.
    My 15 year old son, a decent piano player (though certainly not due to my genes) and a big fan of Rod Miller, asked about him and was told by Johnny that "he'll be back soon."
    Somebody over on MousePlanet, however, mentioned that Rod may not be back until September. That's OK, we can be patient. I'm just glad he's getting better.
    Regarding the piano auction, Rod once mentioned that he's currently on his 16th piano, or something like that, since starting playing at Disneyland. They get rid of those old pianos for a reason; they've been played hard and they're shot. I certainly wouldn't buy one if I wanted to make any decent music with it.

<BRAG>
    That was my son playing Maple Leaf Rag at Johnny's piano last night.
    </BRAG>

• Former Cast Member

I am not surprised that the pianos are junked. Any wood instrument that has to go through the constant changes of heat, humidity, rain and the like that those outdoor instruments take on would warp quickly. It seems that Rod was tuning the thing every day I saw him. I agree with the above post that the old pianos would not be so good for music, but an excellent collector's piece.

• insufferable know-it-all

Rod DOES tune it every day, especially if he takes over after Johnny, who pounds the poor thing to death!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...