Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Lowering Expectations

That owl at the end of spash is starting to scare me.

I've noticed this for a long time, but something needs to be done with the very end of Splash Mountain. There is a cute little owl sitting on a branch next to a screen, and it used to say "Whoo, whoo, how do you do? Here's a picture of you a'whoopin' and a'hollerin' and having a good old time!" And on the screen would be the picture it took of you on the big drop- or at least, it should have been you! Sometimes, if I remember right, it got out of sync with the logs and showed you someone else. Then for awhile it showed a generic pic of Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox on the log. Then I think they gave up on it completely, because I never see the screen in use. They still shine a light on it and everyone looks at it, and it's kinda weird after seeing so many talking and singing animals one who's clicking its beak and moving like it's talking to you but it's not doing or saying anything. The least they can do is stop shining a light on it, or maybe they can do what they used to...or can they do something else with it? Any thoughts?

• Disney worshipper/geek

Re: That owl at the end of spash is starting to scare me.

I kind of agree, it creeps me out somewhat. It kinda takes away from the magic. I don't know why they don't just put the pics back up there.
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

Get rid of the damn thing. Splash Mountain is the only Attraction where Disney has the arrogance to actually sell Guests merchandise while they are still aboard the vehicles! .... Unbelievable!

That owl should have never been installed in the first place.

• Senior Minion

I just want it fixed period. I can't understand why Disney can't fix such a simple thing that people are used to seeing. They are building new theme parks, they have the money, fix it.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Lowering Expectations

First, Pragmatic, excuse you.

Second, I thought the idea was not a bad one. Showing you your pic while still on the ride and recovering from the fun of that great drop is, well, let's face it, a good selling tecnique, while also being creative. I don't fuss over Disney selling on-ride photos, at least they only do it on a few attractions.

• Senior Minion

Im not in too the selling feature, I just would like it back the way it was. If You look at it(the projection screen) it looks like someones Tobacco is stuck to the screen. Gross! The Owl not talking is creepy yes.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

It is rather annoying. They could have fixed it somehow during that refurb period easily.

Something needs to be done, in any case. Being such a popular ride, it's bad showmanship.

I do not have a problem with Disney selling the photos. I have a problem with the owl hawking, if you will, merchandise to a captive audience.

I used to love Splash Mountain until that owl was added.

When Disney installed the system at Splash, they paid little heed to maintaining Show standards. The flash, for example, is not in keeping with the storyline. At the very least, Imagineering could have made the effect into lightning or something similar.

The owl, though, serves no purpose other than to push those pictures and the related merchandise. If there is a huge profit margin in sight, Theme Park Operations couldn't care less about the Show.

• Iron-Clad Allie

I really don't give a hoot, as long as the owl doesn't molt on me. As it stands there clicking away, maybe it would be fun to create words for him. You might have him say, "Brer Owl is broken, and so is the screen. If I am not repaired soon, I will bust the #@$%&* screen, and peck out the damn light.

• Lowering Expectations

Ride Warrior, excuse you. We don't need the profanity to make a point.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR
    "Owls" about this then, 2DieFR?

I shall carefully embark on the process of removing the screen from it's unsightly location. Afterward, the elimination of the light will be worthy of thoughtful consideration.

• That's Hawt

2DieFer ... I just belched .... are you going to excuse me?
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• Lowering Expectations

Yup. Excuse you.

• That's Hawt

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• On Autopilot

I think Ride Warriors first idea was awsome XD!

I must be blind because I never saw the owl on my trips... *must have been too busy yelling at her friends* .... *shrugs* Why not just take the thing out?

• Still wants to be a cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Larxene1959
    I think Ride Warriors first idea was awsome XD!

I must be blind because I never saw the owl on my trips... *must have been too busy yelling at her friends* .... *shrugs* Why not just take the thing out?
    Don't feel bad I must have blind also, never have noticed it before.....will look for it nex time! Just out of curiosity!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I think the owl is rather creepy. The Jr Miss and I were stuck on Splash for like 40 minutes right under that freaking thing, and the whole time its beak would just open and close with this rather ominous clicking noise. I had bad dreams about the owl that night.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR
    Uh oh, Profanity Police on site. Hide your monkeys...

Why do I have to click on "More" to find my Denver Art Museum monkey?
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

• white and nerdy

The following is a conversation between me and my 7 year old niece Matti.

Matti: Why isn't that owl saying anything?
    Me: It used to show your picture here and the owl told you about it
    Matti: But WHY isn't it like that now?
    Me: I guess it broke and they havent fixed it yet.
    Matti: If I was in charge I'd still show the photo here, it's cool.
    Me: yep.
    Matti: also it would make the first animal you see an owl and the last animal you see an owl.
    Me: That makes sense
    Matti: but they would have to have the owl really talk.

from the mouth of babes...

every time I visit a disney theme park I think they should hire me to ride all the rides and tell them obvious things that need to be fixed that they over look for one reason or another.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist

When Disney installed the system at Splash, they paid little heed to maintaining Show standards. The flash, for example, is not in keeping with the storyline. At the very least, Imagineering could have made the effect into lightning or something similar.
    I think that's what its supposed to be. I've talked about this alot lately, and it is creepy. Like, stop the beak clicking for all I care, but I'm sick of feeling like I've suddenly gone deaf.

• Shubisha

I liked when the 2 owls were there together talking back and forth to each other.

With digital photography I don't see how they could not fix this. It'd take like a second for the picture to come out. The CM then has all the time in the world to approve it before they get from the splash to that screen. The issue before I believe was mainly trying to time it so it showed the right picture for the right log. This again should not be an issue given the digital age we live in. I could think of plenty of solutions for timing a log with a picture.

• Tour Ship Pilot

Is it possible that they just quit using the owl thanks to those who make the photo section into "flash mountain"?? or "flip off falls?" I have seen more than one quest be approached at the end of the ride for rendering a photo unusable.
    REMOVE TAG BEFORE FLIGHT

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee
    The following is a conversation between me and my 7 year old niece Matti.
    Well, we have found Harley's replacement for CM Matt: Introducing CM Matti!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Talking Re: That owl at the end of spash is starting to scare me.

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Splash Mountain is the only Attraction where Disney has the arrogance to actually sell Guests merchandise while they are still aboard the vehicles!
    LOL! That's so funny!
    "The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

i love the owl picture thing..i dont think of it as a way of selling merchandise on the ride..but rather viewing your and your friends' faces while going down....THE DROP!!! only if they would DANGIT GET IT FIXED... with the money and technology for stuff like REMEMBER and FANTASMIC and NEW RIDES..they SHOULD be able to fix something like that.. one thing walt was famous for waz his ATTENTION TO DETAIL and that's a PRETTY BIG DETAIL!
    Currently at DreamWorks Animation SKG

Former Disneyland Adventureland Castmember
    [Skipper & Archaeologist]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast