Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Disney Vault 28: A questionable new direction for the Disney brand.

Disney Vault 28's backstory, according to the store's web site, includes the following:

Replete with hip, funky, sexy, comfy clothes this contemporary style boutique - paired with an upscale "Disney" creative edge is a place where unexpected finds in apparel, jewelery and accessories is synony'mouse' with today's latest styles.

Hip, funky, sexy?

DEATH BY SEXY

From time to time, I'll drop by Disney Vault 28 (DV28) to see if there is anything worth sharing in a Photo Update. Sometimes I'm pleasantly impressed with some of the well-executed designs on the girls chloting.

Truth be told, considering the frequency in which I visit the Resort, I don't visit the store much. Since it's opening, I've probably passed through the shop's doors less than 10 times.

Despite some nice designs featuring Fantasia or Disneyland artwork, or even recently, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit designs, I've noticed a disturbing trend. With every visit to DV28, I see less and less actual Disney merchandise, and more and more t-shirts that have no relevance to Disney, and many that feature designs that walk a dangerous path for the Disney brand.

I'LL CALL, I SWEAR!

The store features both mens and womens wear that promotes alcoholism, teen partying, and on the shirt pictured above - one night stands.

I wonder - why has Disney taken this direction with its merchandise offerings? Is it yet another attempt at making a buck without regard to the Disney brand that for over eight decades has been "synony'mouse'" with family entertainment?

Walt Disney was adamant about there being no alcohol available inside the berm of the Magic Kingdom. How does selling t-shirts like the ones at Disney Vault 28 that seemingly promote alcohol consumption support the Disney brand?

LITTLE MISS TEQUILA

Is the merchandise DV28 offers acceptable to be sold under the Disney name since it isn't actually sold within park gates? Should the store sell such items? Is it detrimental to the Disney brand to transform itself into a "hip" and "sexy" trend-setting company for its young adult consumers?

TEQUILA MAKES ME LOCO

What happens if the DV28 grows into a trendy Disney boutique chain? Could a younger generation that spends freely start to associate the Disney name with such dangerous activities as underage drinking, excess spending, or wreckless sexual behavior? How could this affect the Disney brand in the long haul? Is it progressive for the brand, or is the store's offerings progressively dangerous to the brand?

AMERICAN PRINCESS - I SAY YES TO SHOPPING

What do you think? Is Vault 28 crossing a dangerous line for the Disney brand? Are the t-shirts promoting alcohol consumption and one-night-stands just fun merchandise offerings for a trend-chasing, spend-happy demographic?

MAI TAI - STRAIGHT UP!

Disney Vault 28's motto is "Live your dream."

Personally, I feel that the store's merchandise promotes the wrong dreams. One night stands? Alcoholism? Excess spending? No thanks.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Banned User

Re: Disney Vault 28: A questionable new direction for the Disney brand.

I think its' time for Disneyland to close this store if they're going that far...

• Man O Lantern

Personally, I feel that the store's merchandise promotes the wrong dreams. One night stands? Alcoholism? Excess spending? No thanks.
    When has the Disney brand not encouraged excess spending? With jacked up prices, collectibles, pin trading, limited edition crystal castles, online auctions....the focus for years at Disney parks has been on mass producing crappy merchandise for joe-schmo to spend their life savings.

Be smart. Spend elsewhere. Enjoy the magic.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

What's really questionable is who would buy such ugly shirts.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• no flash photography...

We only go in that store to have a good laugh. That being said we have been in the store three times since it opened.

My favorite item from our last visit was the cheap plastic walmart flip flops with a decoration glued on the strap for $54.00. ...yeah. the phrase more money than brains came to mind, but to each their own.

I didn't think the store would be open as long as it has been. Every time I go in I see people looking, but nobody buying....

It seems they are trying to copy a hot topic store, but at a higher price point and cheaper merchandise. It does not scream disney to me.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I don't think it's really a new trend in Disney. It's just blatant. Jessica Rabbit has been utilized for risque material for years now. "Why's the rum always gone?" is not in reference to a cold bottle of pop.

I agree. This store is evil.

Just look at how the store portrays Mickey Mouse. It's disrespectful.

In the store, there are numerous Mickeys portrayed as a punk, reckless rebel, gangsta, and demon. It's really disheartening. I was shocked the first time I walked in there the other day. At first, I thought it was some kind of non-Disney brand that magically got license to sell corrupted Disney-ish character merchandise, and that was still shocking.

But then i realized it's a full-on Disney store... and I am flabbergasted at it. It's *very* dangerous for the brand. And very disrespectful of Walt's work. To disrespect the work that has been carrying us on for so many years, and continues to do a good job to this day is foolish. It's like spitting in the face of your best employee.

Does anyone have any photos of these corrupted Mickeys I am referring to? Share please?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by idreamofjeani View Post
    Does anyone have any photos of these corrupted Mickeys I am referring to? Share please?
    Are you referring to the 'Runaway Brain' Mickey product?

Mickey Mouse in 'Runaway Brain' event 3/24/07
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...=runaway+brain

http://www.spanofsunset.com/cgi-bin/...gcart/cart.cgi
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

There were a LOT of very disturbing images and figures of Mickey in that store. I felt betrayed as a Disney brand loyalist.

I think there is a right wing rally tonight I will find out the directions so you all will have something to do.

• ap holder

when i used to work in santa monica the lady who owned the store i worked for, designed one of the disney lines sold at the vault, and at the store i worked for.

• Banned User

It's too bad the Disney name is attached because I'd bet a lot of people go in there with their kids, expecting to find cutsie pie Disney stuff and find that instead. It's a shame. I'm just glad it's not being sold in the Emporium!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    It's too bad the Disney name is attached because I'd bet a lot of people go in there with their kids, expecting to find cutsie pie Disney stuff and find that instead.
    Considering the store's front windows rarely feature anything that could be deemed as "cutsie pie" it seems unlikely. It typically has an edgier and not inexpensive look, not really kiddie magnets and keep the store fairly stroller free.

The store seems far more like an answer to the upcoming Orange County Grove-clone, Gardenwalk.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Banned User

Or, for that matter, Hot Topic.

• Fight On for ol' SC!

They're trying to go after a younger crowd and I feel they're doing it right. I haven't been inside the store yet. But after seeing some of those shirts I am going in there to check it out. I think they're overpriced and they always end up at CO. D but I think I'm gonna go in there and get the "I swear I'll call" shirt. Most of the slogans aren't Disney. But who cares! There aren't any Disney characters plastered on these with the slogans so for me they don't infringe on the magic standards. Just my two cents.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast