Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• "I Break Things"

Talking Improving Space's Queue

While looking over the Queue makes the ride thread I kept hearing about how boring the whole chain link switchbacks are. I realize NO ONE enjoys standing out in the boiling sun for a couple hours unless you are on a beach in which case you wouldn't be standing you would be laying down! SO.

IMO What Space needs is a little creative construction. Pillars, Satellites, Antennas, the works. Turn the outside of Space into a giant space station construction zone. Toss in some AA robots everywhere putting it together and there you go. Now you have some shade provided by a variety of structures. You have an addition/ enhancement to the whole Tomorrowland theme. AND you have something really cool to look at besides the glistening metal chains that burn your hand when you touch them. I would also love to see craters with meteors in them. Also I think it should look like you are walking on top of a platform... that can be accomplished by having areas open that show a planet/moon surface beneath you. Just another thought.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Re: Improving Space's Queue

Cool idea. But one suggestion; I think it should be a completed space port, not under construction. The under construction thing would look,.... well.... under construction . For an outdoor visa like Tomorrowland, that would be bad I think. How about a really slick (like Space Mountain's theme is now) space port, with towers that have spacecraft beacons on them, and "radio" towers and so on.

Something like the WDW queue maybe? I love that queue!

The reason that more shade (or anything else for that matter) wasn't built was to preserve the profile of the mountain from ground level.

• "I Break Things"

Interesting thought... but wouldn't construction/ physical space port and props enhance the theme as a whole. I am not sure of the view from below (don't usually look at it) .Is it possible to enhance that view via placement of props and structures without completely obstructing it?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I was thinking... (uh oh! ), maybe take the first "inside" section (where the blue lights, CM station, and FP/SB line merge are), and turn that into an air lock. Let FP'ers and SB'ers enter in, then start the sequence: "Seal the hactches. *doors on both sides of the room (FP/SB line entries) close* Prepare for presurization. *cue sound effects* (maybe even physical effects too. ie: slight vibration/shaking, indicating machine activity...) Presurization complete. Please proceed to docking terminal." After that, a third door opens (I'm thinking doors similar to those on Star Trek for the cargo bays), leading to the rest of the inside queue, and the room empties. Once that's done, the door closes, and then the 2 main 'hatches' open up again to allow entry from both the FP and SB lines. This would be kind of like the libraries in ToT, and the stretching room in HM- adding to the story, but also allowing for (the perception, at least) a more constant line flow. Let the SB and FP lines enter at the same time. No holding one back for the other. When the room is full, stop the lines and start the 'presurization'. This way, the SB and the FP line have to wait, and this might be a little more fair to the SB line.

• =)

Space Mountain's visibility from ground level is such a huge conundrum. It has to be short enough to not overwhelm Main Street on the west but tall enough to loom over Tomorrowland on the east. As you said, Mr. Ness, it's hard to build stuff on that patio without limiting the visibility of the mountain itself from the ground.

I'm all for retheming that deck; it's unimpressive, exposed, and very hot in the summer. (I do admit that I love being able to see the mountain itself from close-up, though, and finally walk into its bowels.) I'm really not sure what to do with that area, though. Really, it's all of Tomorrowland that needs to be rethemed. Give each building a thematic purpose beyond holding a ride. As things currently are, most of the buildings just look like vaguely futuristic buildings that were created simply so they could house rides. In other lands, the buildings have clear thematic purposes--they're houses, or shops, or chalets, or forts, or cartoon characters' homes. What are they in Tomorrowland? Well...they're ride facilities. Nothing more, with the possible exception of Space Mountain, which the Buzz Lightyear mural seems to suggest is actually a mobile space station that's currently docked in Tomorrowland.

IMO, the most impressive theming in all of Tomorrowland is to be found within Space Mountain, where the illusion of being deep within a slightly eerie space station is so complete. The space port theme should be extended to all of Tomorrowland, with the various buildings becoming obvious portals or gates to different areas. Think of it like a cosmic airport--you walk through Tomorrowland, finding the gate that corresponds to your flight. Flights to Endor, the Gamma Quadrant, Space Station 77...er, the freeways of Earth...you get the picture. Anyway, the rides would still have the same signage, but everything would be rethemed to appear like a space port, incorporating elements of Space Mountain's design ethic all over the place.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Just a quick bit of to go along with Datameister. I agree that Tomorrowland should be a space port. And, taking it a step further, I believe that Tomorrowland should be enclosed (and air-conditioned, with partial/total power supply from solar panels placed on the rooftops of the TL buildings) to give it more of a 'major transportation hub' feel. Well, that, among a few other ideas I have for TL.

But, back on topic.

Why not enclose that front section and theme it to look like a docked space craft, with viewing ports on both sides. That way, you still get to see the mountain up close, it adds to the theme of a space station, provides shelter from the elements, and would work perfectly with my air lock idea!

What I've always wanted them to do was put the speed ramp back up heading up to the platform. Move the startrader and Pizza Port ONTO the terrace and have that become the new Tommorowland Terrace. Startrader will be the corner where the current switchbacks are, the Pizza Port will have outdoor tables by Innoventions as well as a table service in the second story of Innoventions with a great view of TL. Up against the base of the mountain will be a new stage for concerts at the base of the mountain. All of this will leave the view of the mountain unobstructed and create a new futuristic mall/plaza.

Now, where will the queue for SM go? Have the queue enter where HISTA currently is like TDL's SM. HISTA is removed for an indoor air conditioned queue themed to mission control (a throwback to Rocket to Mars). No real story would need to be forced, just electronic charts of stars and various ships in space. The queue leads into the back corner of the Starcade (the empty room you can see from the current queue). There guests board the space elevator and are taken up into Space Station 77 which is orbiting Earth. The elevator doors open and you are standing in the station. A themed room and corridoor is added from the Starcade elevator to the current enterence to the mountain. Then the queue is the same as always.

This is complicated, but it fixes a few different problems.
    1. It enhances the idea of SM being a space station in space instead of a building you walked into.
    2. It makes the stand-by line much more bearable.
    3. It frees up the old Pizza Port building.
    4. It frees up the Startrader space to be combined with the starcade for a new attraction.
    5. Another Table service eatery with a great firework view
    6. Queue for new Peoplemover/Rocket Jets can go where TL Terrace/stage sits.
    7. Provides a good excuse to change Innoventions into another rotating show.
    8. Most of all, it utilizes that giant unused "landing platform" waste of space.
    Last edited by Professortango; 08-26-2007 at 09:16 PM.

• is too darn hot.

What is the purpose of the enormous empty space in the Space Mountain queue anyway? I've heard people say it's a helicopter landing pad, etc., but what the hell is it?
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I pitched an idea for the Space queue a while ago and even I forget all that I put down, but it included the use of the upper deck of the Star Cade. Guests would still have the switchbacks but within a dark air conditioned room with a projected view of outer space all around you. On occasion you would see a rocket fly by or a supernova or something like that.

And then if the People Mover ever returned, they would get a cool glimpse of outerspace as well.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I pitched an idea for the Space queue a while ago and even I forget all that I put down, but it included the use of the upper deck of the Star Cade. Guests would still have the switchbacks but within a dark air conditioned room with a projected view of outer space all around you. On occasion you would see a rocket fly by or a supernova or something like that.

And then if the People Mover ever returned, they would get a cool glimpse of outerspace as well.
    I kind of like this one a little bit better, provided that they don't get rid of the X-Wing! It is unfortunate that they can't spruce up the outdoor queue of Space a bit. But they can't do much because it is my understanding that the roof there cannot support too much weight. That is why the line is set up in the configuration that it is now.

But I am a "queue minimalist" (themeing -- not lengths LOL) when it comes to queues anyway in general, so the less they do I think the better it is...

• Dragons rock my socks.

Oh...how I hate the beginning of this line! Nice ideas folks!
    Welcome to the Aperture Science Enrichment Center.

If you ever see a skinny eight year-old looking kid sprinting through Adventureland, yell "Hi!" at me!
    Btw, I'm really not eight.

So I'm sitting at my computer thinking, hey, I need a creative signature so that people on micechat will remember me. And then it hits me: I'll just type it up!
    I sure am creative.

• "I Break Things"

I love all the different thoughts. I realize they are trying to preserve the view... just wondering if it is possible to balance view with theme. I also like the whole Tomorrowland Spaceport concept. I've always fought with myself. Part of me wants this highly futuristic straight lines glass everywhere modern Tomorrowland. The other half would love to see it as Ancient Ruins on another planet. As if it is alien technology that we are exploring and nothing that we actually built. I've always thought the best Tomorrowland would be a combination of the two. Modern structures amidst the ruins and in some cases completing structures that were once ruins.

• back in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    The other half would love to see it as Ancient Ruins on another planet. As if it is alien technology that we are exploring and nothing that we actually built.
    That is an awesome idea. So much so, I think, that an entire new land could be devoted to it, not Tomorrowland.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast