Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Improving Matterhorn's Queue

Inspired by the Space queue thread.

I've always thought that Matterhorn's queue was good. I, for one, like watching bobsleds run by as I'm waiting. It builds my anticipation. I've noticed that in the beginning of the day, the open both queues. Then when 3pm rolls around, they close the Fantasyland side of the Mountain to allow the Parade of Dreams to perform. Here's my idea:

Why not remodel the queue, not just the Fantasyland side, but the Tomorrowland side as well. Have the queue go inside the mountain. If you look closely on the Fantasyland side, there's a good distance between the pathway and the mountain. They could easily use that space as part of the queue. Then, you can have the line go inside the mountain. While inside the mountain, you hear ambient growls from the Abominable Snowman, the increased volume of the snowy wind, ambient screams from riders and to add the the theme of an Alpine Swiss mountain, the "caves" of which you wait in are only 60 degrees. Of course, they would probably only do this during the summer months, but during the winter, they could increase it a little, but not so much.

In order for this work, you can't have the line come back out because it would interfere with the parade route. So, while in the "cave", guests would descend down a pathway, underground. Guests would come back up another flight of stairs, into the switchback part of the queue in the Swiss building (the station). You all know the little pathway right before you go into the switchbacks? That would no longer be apart of the queue as guests would come out of the "cave", up the stairs and when the reach the top, they would already by in the station building. This would greatly cut down on line cutting. Have you ever waited in line, then when you get to the turnstile, four or five people join the person in front of you and the Cast Member just lets them cut? Well, with this new queue, guests could not do that because in order to get to that turnstile, you'd have to go all the way to the beginning, down the stairs, then back up.

This new queue would also greatly benefit the Tomorrowland side of the queue. That little pathway between the Mountain and the Submarine Lagoon is always so crowded, even before Nemo opened. People just don't know how to walk in that area. With Matterhorn's queue going inside the Mountain and going underground, it would reduce the congestion.

I've also noticed some elements in the Matterhorn that have been (should I say it) "declining by degrees."

The Snowy Wind: We all know it exists, but to a person who is visiting Disneyland for the first time, you'd never know it was there. Long ago, you can hear the wind from quite a distance. I remember being able to hear it from the Hub, Small World, Dumbo, and Monorail station. Then, in order to hear it, you'd have to be in line for the ride, or physically on the ride to hear it. Now, you barely hear it if you're on the ride. I wish they would increase the volume of the Snowy Wind once again.

The Abominable Snowman's Roar: Long ago, you could hear his mighty roar from a distance. I remember being able to hear it from Dumbo and Small World. Now, you have to be standing next to it to hear him.

The Swiss Mountain: Matterhorn needs a paint job.

It would be cool to see our Matterhorn be darker, with more snow.

Also, in the soundtrack to the Matterhorn, Jack Wagner says "which takes guests on thrilling bobsled run through icy caverns (right), fog banks (NO), eerie colorful icicles and ice crystals, (right), and a terrifying encounter with the Abominable Snowman."

One thing that's missing from the attraction is fog, or mist. I think it would be cool, to have fog at each opening of the mountain. How cool would it be to see bobsleds disappear into a cloud of mist!
    Last edited by InnerSpace; 08-29-2007 at 03:14 PM.

• Minion

Re: Improving Matterhorn's Queue

i like it! its like an indiana jones queue but mountain caves. I dont see where they have room though because isnt the lagoons tank kind of right underneath the pathway?

• n/a

Sadly, I don't think the structure of the mountain can take much more modifications...
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

• Banned User

Why do people think everything needs to be improved? Your points are valid, but it wouldn't really change anything, plus as demento57 pointed out, there isn't much more that can be done without a long long long construction process.

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

The only problem I have with the Matterhorn queue is the amount of people who go underneath the line. If the line is on the shorter side but the chain rope is closed off to almost the other side of the mountain I feel bad trying to go under the line where the people are queued up. Then again, if you walk all the way around you have so many people getting in front of you. That's my only complaint and the only way around it is to station a CM at the end of the line adjusting the opening in the chain.

• Adventurer Slash Explorer

I like it, but the idea of being underground is a bit iffy. I freak out in enclosed spaces though, even the Indy que makes me a little iffy in certain parts. (like the cave thing, and the skeleton room)

And i agree, I don't think the mountain could handle us doing this to it. But new paint job, that'd be cool.

Sherpas and a base camp.

'nuff said

• Circle of Ancients

good idea! disney has always been able to tell a story with most of their queues so this would be a great opertunity to pull a little story, maybe like Expedition Everest?
    Angels Fan, born and raised.
    Come on you Galaxy.

Quote Originally Posted by SorcererMickey View Post
    The only problem I have with the Matterhorn queue is the amount of people who go underneath the line. If the line is on the shorter side but the chain rope is closed off to almost the other side of the mountain I feel bad trying to go under the line where the people are queued up. Then again, if you walk all the way around you have so many people getting in front of you. That's my only complaint and the only way around it is to station a CM at the end of the line adjusting the opening in the chain.
    Ya, I just say put up some kind of permanent wall/structure so that everybody has to enter down at the bottom of the mountain as opposed to in the middle of the line on the side of the mountian.
    Love WoC!!!

Next DL trip: August 2011

"What do you mean we can't get rid of those weeds in time? Then go over there and put some fancy signs with Latin names in front of them."
    -Walt Disney

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by demento57 View Post
    Sadly, I don't think the structure of the mountain can take much more modifications...
    I'm not a Structural Engineer, if there is one out there please chime in. It is my understanding that they have spent a tremendous amount of time refitting the interior of the mountain with a steel skeleton. Sadly the idiots sandblasted the logo and date that was on one of the original beams. I did have the privilege of a tour and have seen the inside. I also shot some hoops although the court is no longer a full court because of the tinkerbell rigging. For any of the old Matterhorn Crew I am sad to say you can no longer look out the top, and must now sign much lower down instead of near the crown.

I do not know what the mountain could and could not handle. I also do not know what might be displaced should this route be done. Most likely something somewhere would have to be moved in order to enter the physical mountain. I believe the line would have been more effective had it been directly against the mountain instead of several feet out but I realize that is a safety measure. It prevents idiots from trying to climb up the mountain and possibly fall or be hit by a bobsled. Personally I think it is Darwinism... but we must babysit the masses.
    Last edited by techskip; 08-26-2007 at 02:53 PM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

I think that reworking the matterhorn queue would be good but it would take a lot of work and a long time to do what you suggested. Who would want to lose matterhorn for a year just so they could do this?
    Check out my new Disney Blog here. What it lacks in quality it makes up with... Well, nothing I guess.

• Frrrrrrunkis~!™

This sounds like and extremely smart idea. Not only would it be a welcome update to a classic, and a great boost to the theme, it would also widen some narrow walkways in that area.

Great stuff, man.

...add a fastpass.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Matterhorn ain't broke. It don't need fixin.

I like your ideas though, but I don't find them necessary. It WOULD be cool though if they added some really cold air in the coaster like another micechatter suggested.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• is too darn hot.

I like your ideas. My favorite is the fog. One request, though. Would you mind resizing that one really huge picture? It's making me have to scroll back and fort to read your post because it's wider than my monitor.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast