• Banned User

Help w/ Disney College Program in Anaheim

I was thinking about taking the college program in Anaheim. Can someone, perhaps with experience in the program, explain to me how it exactly works. The Disney website didn't answer all my questions. Any help, stories, info is greatly appreciated. And lastly, do you have to be enrolled in a college to enroll in the Disney program?

• Banned User

Re: Help w/ Disney College Program in Anaheim

This sunk way too quickly... no help out there?

• Traditional Glow Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    I was thinking about taking the college program in Anaheim. Can someone, perhaps with experience in the program, explain to me how it exactly works. The Disney website didn't answer all my questions. Any help, stories, info is greatly appreciated. And lastly, do you have to be enrolled in a college to enroll in the Disney program?
    I beleive that you do need to be enrolled in college in some form to attend or just leaving college from a previous semester. There is the Career Start program in conjunction with the College Program that doesn't require any college since it's geared towards high school graduates as far as I know.

So the program itself last about 8-9 months. Feb. through early Sept. or May through Dec. are the two time frames. You will generally be expected to work a full 40 hours whenever the resort is considered in a peak season, and your seniority for scheduling will be above the Casual Regulars, but below Full Time. Once your program time is over you can choose to stay on with the resort and it will reset your scheduling seniority to the bottom. Scheduling will work with the college programs request for availability for Academic Field Experiences (like touring Walt's Apartment) and for the required College Program Classes. You need to be enrolled in one of the classes, which they currently offer two sets worth and must attend (three absences and you will be dropped from the program).

I am about to exit the program now and have had a great experience with a lot of the Academic Field Experiences as well as general knowledge and networking you can get from the college program that is not offered for typical cast members.

On the negative side unlike Florida you're on your own for housing and you're not eligible for benefits while in the program. For most locations you are also ineligible for a raise if one would usually be available unless you make an advancement in position such as a lead or trainer.

...errr that's it for now that I can think of. More specific Q's?

• Banned User

Thanks for the response. But other questions: It states on the website that following the completion of the program and receiving certain degrees that you can go onto an internship. Are you planning on doing so? I would love to do one Disneyland or Imagineering. And as I am understanding, you are basically a Cast Member, but working and learning certain roles in Disney's line of businesses, correct? If I were to apply now or whenever they start accepting the applications, I would begin in or around February for the Spring term? And lastly in your opinion, is the course really worth attending (considering that I or you really want to work for Disney) or is it just busy work in Disney terms?

Thanks so much for your help by the way!

Thanks for the response. But other questions: It states on the website that following the completion of the program and receiving certain degrees that you can go onto an internship. Are you planning on doing so? I would love to do one Disneyland or Imagineering. And as I am understanding, you are basically a Cast Member, but working and learning certain roles in Disney's line of businesses, correct? If I were to apply now or whenever they start accepting the applications, I would begin in or around February for the Spring term? And lastly in your opinion, is the course really worth attending (considering that I or you really want to work for Disney) or is it just busy work in Disney terms?

There are several internships available at Disneyland and the Disney parks that you can only apply for if you have completed the Disney college program. I am unsure exactly what these internships are for, but we have been told about them in our classes. You are a Cast Member with perks is how I like to think of it. We have field trips every month to behind the scenes events (Like taking a tour of the classics in fantasyland). You also have a temporary seniority while being in the program, which allows for better shift times and hours. You also take two classes while in the program and it's your choice as to what those classes will be. They will probably start accepting applications around November or so and the program in the spring is from February until August (maybe early September).

If you really want to work at Disneyland and you want the potential to meet the right people to get the job you want at Disney, then this is the perfect program for you. I myself have always wanted to work for Disney, but not in that capacity. I've always wanted to work at the park temporarily but I hated the thought of quiting someday. With the college program I've made a commitment for 6-7 months and when I am finished I can choose to stay or go and no hard feelings with be felt either way. So I hope that answers your questions for you!

Andrew

The professional internships are mostly available in Florida, but they are available online after the program through disneycareers.com. It's not as guaranteed to happen is the best way to look at it. And yes, you are a cast member generally sticking to one line of business (lob). You can learn about others through some of the classes they offer, and depending which lob you move into you may be in one location or many like other cast members. Last year I applied in October or so for the program over the phone if my memory serves me. They should have the application information listed on the college program website.

As for are the courses worth attending...sometimes. I am glad I took the classes, but life comes in sometimes and it would be nice to not always have to be there. It was nice to learn about other lobs are out there and what opportunities are available within the resort that usually don't come looking for you.

• Banned User

Thanks for all the help. It has answered a lot of my questions. If you have any other info that you would like to share, I would be happy to read.

Not that I can think of. For the most part the college program is filled with people who love Disney. At least they seem to show up the most often for the events that the program offers, which is a really great part of the experience I've had.

To list some of the best of them:
    -Walt Disney Studios Tour
    -Backstage Classics Attractions Tour
    -Roundhouse and Walt's Apartment Tours
    -Pyrotechnics Tour
    -Parades Tour

So it's a bit obvious perhaps that a lot of the tour experiences are great.

edit: I suppose the greatest opportunity I was given was to be a Media Host for the Finding Nemo Press event. That was something unique for sure.
    Last edited by Pipeek; 08-27-2007 at 07:27 PM. Reason: nemo

They offer the program in Anaheim? I thought it was only for Walt Disney World...? I think its only for undergrads. My friend's doing it this semester and she told me that she's taking gen eds or something, and also a training classes like how to do autographs and parade rehersals. She hasn't started yet, but will in a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIceCream View Post
    They offer the program in Anaheim? I thought it was only for Walt Disney World...? I think its only for undergrads. My friend's doing it this semester and she told me that she's taking gen eds or something, and also a training classes like how to do autographs and parade rehersals. She hasn't started yet, but will in a week or so.
    They just recently restarted the program. I am in the second class from the spring. The fall class forms the third set, so they'd be recruiting for the 4th set for the spring now through the fall. While still being the Disney College Program the experiences are going to be very different due to the requirements and classes as opposed to location.

• Banned User

I'm bringing this thread back!

I have been heavily reading into the Disney College Program for Anaheim and I am confused. The Walt Disney World Program is scheduled to give a presentation at my school in October and the application requirements seem to differ slightly from that of Anaheim's. I was going to transfer at the end of this semester to CA and that is why I wanted to do the Anaheim program. But there is mention of my school in the drop down presentation menu, but the requirements state I have to complete a presentation (E-presentation) then do follow up interviews over the phone. Plus the Anaheim site directs me to the Disney Careers page and asks me for a resume, but the WDW does not. I am confused about how this all works and what the differences are between the two. I am not planning on staying at the school I'm currently enrolled in, and next year I will be attending a new school closer to Anaheim. Please help me sort out my confusion. If anyone with experience from applying to either programs can help me. I have emailed Disney, but got the same information that is on the site. I want to get the application done, but I don't want to be recruited by Walt Disney World. HELP PLEASE!

In a nutshell you can do everything over the phone and do the e-presentation rather than actually attending one.

http://disney.go.com/disneycareers/d.../applynow.html

That link should roughly direct you in the right place, but don't expect a response from Disney for a while. You need to fax them over some of the application/resume information, such as desired work location (hence the resume). They want to know where you want to work and what experience you have so they can place you into a opening. At least I recall doing this a few days before I had my phone interview and they called me very quickly. The people who you are looking to contact recruit for both programs. They'll let you know if you've been accepted over the phone(at least they let me know at the end of the phone interview) and which position you'll be heading into. After that they mail you the basic package of consent and employment forms to have ready for your choice of starting times into the program (paperwork turn-in and traditions) before classes start.

...it was about a year ago around now so my memory is a bit hazy.

• Banned User

Thanks so much! Any more info is appreciated.