Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Napa Rose Trip Report 8/24

Back in July when my in-laws went back home after a two week visit, they left us with $150 for a nice dinner. So I asked on Micechat where the best place to go would be. Almost everyone said to go to Napa Rose. Well, we finally did go Friday evening to celebrate my husband's birthday, and I just wanted to do a mini TR on it since it's a rare occassion to go there (for us anyways).

Many of you told me it was a very fancy place but without pretensions since it's in DLR. You're right! The staff was very friendly and not snobby. It seemed that the clientele were snobbier than the staff. Ladies near us were kind of high maintenance customers, and the staff was very nice and patient with them. You also told me that it's the kind of place where you take a sip and they refill your cup. That was true too!

Well we got there at exactly 5:30 for our 5:30 reservation. They had us sit in a lounge area with big chairs and tables and asked us if we wanted to order our drinks first. Then after about 3 minutes they took us to our table. We got a nice table near the window right by where the Monorail glides by. The place looked great, I loved the art deco/Rennie Mackintosh-style decorations.

I was sort of embarrassed to take too many pictures b/c of the fancy vibe. I regret not getting a picture of the menu because I know that some of the items and prices are different and sometimes higher than the menu listed here
    http://www.allearsnet.com/dlr/din/menu/men_nr.htm
    Mainly, the vitners table price is $85 and not $75.

For starters we got the Beach Rock. It was shrimp, chicken, and ribs with a hot rock in the middle and you are supposed to put your meat on the rock and then dip it in a sauce on the side.

For the main course, I had veal medallions with potatoes and peas

and my husband had the filet mingon with veggies.

We also ordered a side of their "mac and cheese" which seemed to have been made with rice pilaf rather than pasta.
    For dessert we had the pastry chef's assortment. It was amazing. I couldn't resist tasting the rose in the middle and it tasted like a candy cane. The cobbler or the flourless chocolate cake were probably the best things. The other two items on the plate were strawberry shortcake and cheesecake.

It was all quite gourmet. Everything had smallish servings but after splitting the appetizer (which was protioned for two) I could only eat half of my meal. The next day I heated up the veal with my husband's birthday Mission tortillas. It was a good lunch! Our dinner cost $160, not including the tip. Our prices were the same as the ones on the menu link above, but I noticed the menu didn't have the filet mignon on it. That cost $40. We had one iced tea and one glass of rose wine. Honestly, I've never had a meal that was that expensive, but we had a great time and everything tasted wonderful. The food looked better in person than in the pictures.

Here's the curious part. When our neighbors at the next table left, the waiters started changing the linens. I noticed that they were using ordinary fold-out cheap tables under the fine linens.

So I peeked under our table to see what our table was, we had a large square table, and Stephen and I felt pretty far apart on it.

Our table was a terrible mess covered in painters tape. It was odd for such a ritzy place!!! I made Stephen look under the tablecloth b/c I couldn't believe it. He said my side looked worse. Also our table and our neighbor's table near the window was very wobbly. Ours had something big under it so it wouldn't wobble. I overheard our neighbors complaining to the waiter about how wobbly their table was and he sent someone over to fix it. That was weird. But we were still happy. I'm still suprised at the tables there!

Here's Stephen:

And here's me (with hat-hair):

after our fine dinner!

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Re: Napa Rose Trip Report 8/24

you'd never expect the tables to be like that....

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Wow. Great lookig dinner. I hope you husband had a nice B-Day!

• Minion

Great trip report. Sorry about the tables though. I noticed them on my last trip too and was quite shocked. You would think that their furniture would be of high quality like some of the other high end Disney restaurants.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I'm glad you guys had a good time!

Napa Rose is great...blah, I want to go back. And then my boyfriend will tell me that his wallet is crying. ^_^

• love my friends

wow what a dinner,, it looked delicious

glad you guys had a great time

Friends for life

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Very cute report! Yah the portions are small huh!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Hooterville, USA

Was my gum still under that table?

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Still wants to be a cat!

One the favorite places for the Wolfpack (OK well just the 2 of us), but never thought of looking under the table cloth.........But now I'll start at all the "ritzy" places we eat at.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Aww!
    You two are adorable!
    Food looks delicious!!
    Glad it was the right decision... MCers will never steer you wrong.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Wonderful World

That food looks mighty good
    I'm back MiceChat

• Banned User

wow that food did look good. the mac and cheese with rice? thats weird but I am glad you had a great time. the price was a lot but now you can say you ate at Napa rose
    oye the tables need to be upgraded LOL!!

That's very odd about the furniture in the restaurant. Surely they haven't been operating for almost 7 years with foldout cafeteria tables. Perhaps they are in the midst of replacing the tables, and this was a temporary solution?

Even still, that's pretty tacky and corny even if it's temporary. You can purchase more permanent and sturdy banquet tables for short term use. And I'm sure a huge facility like the Disneyland Resort already has an ample stock of such furniture. So why put the cheap and broken stuff in the Resort's finest restaurant?

A very odd management decision on that one from the Disneyland Resort Food & Beverage department.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TP2000 View Post
    That's very odd about the furniture in the restaurant. Surely they haven't been operating for almost 7 years with foldout cafeteria tables. Perhaps they are in the midst of replacing the tables, and this was a temporary solution?

Even still, that's pretty tacky and corny even if it's temporary. You can purchase more permanent and sturdy banquet tables for short term use. And I'm sure a huge facility like the Disneyland Resort already has an ample stock of such furniture. So why put the cheap and broken stuff in the Resort's finest restaurant?

A very odd management decision on that one from the Disneyland Resort Food & Beverage department.
    I saw them over a year ago, and I doubt they have been replacing the tables for that long.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Glad you guys had a good time!

I loooooove Napa Rose! The flourless chocolate cake is to die for!
    Everybody’s got a laughing place. Trouble is, most folks won’t take the time to go look for it. And where it is for one, it mightn’t be for another. ~ Splash Mountain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast