Thread: Space Place

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

Cool Space Place

I have almost never seen people really discuss this old attraction. It was the food place located where the Space Mtn entrance is now. Does anyone miss it?

Re: Space Place

I think I ate there once, perhaps twice. I remember that it seemed to be closed more often than it was open.

• My Children's Father

I remember it was a good place (since it was frequently closed and deserted) to engage in certain non-destructive "activities" that might be frowned upon by the authorities ... ..... possibly better than the skyway or behind Captain Hook's Pirate Ship Restaurant .....
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Banned User

So what was the reason for it permanently closing? Is there anything there now? If I remember well enough, it's just boarded up serving counters.

• Former CM

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    So what was the reason for it permanently closing? Is there anything there now? If I remember well enough, it's just boarded up serving counters.
    The reason for closing is that it didn't make money. Even on days like the 4th of July it would be empty. IMO it was in a bad location sonce no one even realized it was even open. Now the kitchen is used by IDV to make hot dogs and fill up balloons if my memory servers me correctly.

• Banned User

Idv?

Where are these boarded up windows and counters?

• Banned User

Somewhere in the hallway at the start of Space Mtn's queue, I believe.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Quote Originally Posted by MyThioIsGoofy
    Where are these boarded up windows and counters?
    If they're still there it's back where Space Mt fast passes are now. I miss the place. They had the best rootbeer float in the park. And, it seem to me, different kinds of sandwiches too.
    Mike

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I MISS IT!!! We even discussed it yesterday when getting into line for SM and one of the guys with us said "There was a restaurant there??". I feel old

But yes I do miss it, there was never a crowd, always lots and lots of seating and they had Space Mist. YUMMY!! I miss Space Mist

Yea, there's no counters anymore it's just closed right behind the fastpasses.

• Minion

A fine place to eat .... I went many times from the time it opened in 1977 ... and into it's fading days .. till it was finally "Ka Puts" by 1992.

It had the same set up as the Coca-Cola Tomorrowland Terrace. More than enough "counter" windows to approach .. and I loved the space-age names they gave hamburgers, hot dogs, etc. Pretty much the same as Coke Terrace .. plus the far right was soft serve ice-cream if memory serves correctly. Favorite area to sit was on the top deck watching the Peoplemover glide above .. and watch a show down below in the "Space Stage". Lots of people in line for Space Mountain .. there was always lots of activity in this area.

The whole top deck feels so "underutilized" now as JUST a queue for Space Mountain.

Another feature I liked .... the sloped wall high wall on the east side had LOTS of lighting fixtures sticking out. The whole area REALLY lit up at night. It was soooo cool! Later .. fixtures removed .. and now that this is Redd Rockets "spill over" table area .. we have much fewer lighting fixtures.

The whole wall of lights was really impressive .. I miss that.

And .. it does not seem to make a whole lot of sense it didn't make money.

Everybody got their pocket guides at the front entrance .. and there was the location in plain black and white.

This entire section today is half wasted .. and some day .. they need to come up with a plan that fully utilizes this space.

There are too many empty pockets of lifelesness throughout the land .. both small and large.

I can only dream of a master plan that brings this entire "East" flanking wing of the Space Mountain complex back into full gear.

• flynhawyn77

Yes, Space Place was awsome. I remember going there as a kid. I think the restaraunt was hurt when the Space Stage was closed to build the Magic Eye theatre. The whole upper level in front of SM became an empty waste. I think they should tear out the theatre and bring back the Space Stage and Space Place. But I doubt that will ever happen. Then again, I thought I would never get to ride the People Mover again, but it looks like that could change.

I was looking through some old pictures I took over at SM a while back and I came upon this one. Yup, so this is how it currently looks right, in case anyone wanted to know. A bit blurry, like all of my pics.