Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Better Butter Battle Vic

Blog Entries

Splash Mountain/ Song of the South

My family is going to Disneyland next month and my daughter is finally tall enough to ride Splash Mountain, she is super excited. Ever since the first time she saw it when she was two she has wanted to sit in that log, but has made do with enjoying the pirate drops in the past.

When talking to my mother-in-law about my daughter going on it she said I should show her 'Song of the South' so she could understand the story going on around her. I remember seeing this movie when I was very young, I think it was on Wonderful World of Disney at some point, I also had the book and record set (yes I'm old) when I was her age and loved to play the record and read the book. I was very surprised to find Song of the South is just not available in the United States apparently they sell it at Disneyland Paris but because of controversy the movie has never been released to VHS or DVD in the United States.

I guess I can see why people might find it controversial, but in re watching Peter Pan and Pinocchio as an adult I have found things in there I didn't think were that big of a deal at all that now I was a bit shocked, but as a child didn't think anything of, and it didn't make me racist, swear or drink when I grew up.

It's such a wonderful ride with wonderful stories behind the scenes I really think it's a shame that my daughter won't be able to enjoy the relationship to the ride that she does in Alice or Snow White.

I just wish I had my old record and book.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Re: Splash Mountain/ Song of the South

There are some copies for sale on line that are from England, but they work on US DVD players. That's where I got my copy from.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Family Man

You can easily buy European copies on Ebay.

^^Yup, or you can probably find it on any well stocked torrent site.

Shouldn't be too hard to locate either way

• Rock Star Minion

The story is easy enough to follow along without the books/movie: Br'er Rabbit decides to leave home, gets into trouble, discovers that home is not so bad (relative to the dangerous world outside of it, returns home. The End.

Oh, spoiler alert!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• n/a

Let's not forget Dumbo, in the words of Peter Griffin, "Awe, that's good ole family racism."
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Megastrophy View Post
    My family is going to Disneyland next month and my daughter is finally tall enough to ride Splash Mountain, she is super excited. Ever since the first time she saw it when she was two she has wanted to sit in that log, but has made do with enjoying the pirate drops in the past.
    Just curious, how old is your daughter? My daughter will be 3yrs 3 months when we go but meets the height requirement (40") and I am trying to decide if the ride would be harsh on her young body? I cannot remember the bottom of the big drop, if there is a lot of force to stop the log or not.

• In Mouse We trust

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    The story is easy enough to follow along without the books/movie: Br'er Rabbit decides to leave home, gets into trouble, discovers that home is not so bad (relative to the dangerous world outside of it, returns home. The End.

Oh, spoiler alert!

You either haven't seen the movie or it has been a long time, because that is the story in the ride not the movie.

To the question above, it is pretty smooth. No bang just swoosh

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatEscapist View Post
    Thanks! I couldn't remember and I tend to raise her on the side of too much caution (sometimes sacrificing joys of growing up) but I have been trying to let go a little.

• I'm not really here

The movie and the ride are only loosely tied together. They characters that are in the movie are in the ride and mentions of a few of Uncle Remus' stories are in the ride as well. The story of the movie, however, is not the story of the ride. I think it's a great ride for anyone to go on. It isn't rough at all but very smooth. All told, you spend about 7 - 10 seconds going down hill throughout the entire length of the ride. I think you will all love it and you'll get the story of it without having seen the movie too.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Better Butter Battle Vic

Blog Entries

Thank you everyone for the great advice. She'll be turning four when we go. I think Splash Mountain is a bit smoother than the Matterhorn, whose height requirement is only 35" so she has been on that one and loved it. She does sit infront of my husband and he tries to cushion her from some of the more turbulent parts of the Matterhorn track.

• =)

That's usually true. 99% of the time, Splash is a very smooth ride--much smoother than the Matterhorn, by the way--with just a few gentle jostles around the gates by the drops and lift hills. The drops themselves are very smooth--your daughter may be frightened by the sights and/or sensations of the big drop, but she won't get hurt.

That being said...there is that 1% chance that you'll hit a very strange, very harsh, and very painful bump in the ride. Happened to me just before the Laughing Place drop about a month ago. Worst pain I've ever felt as a result of a ride in Disneyland before, stinging my back and various unmentionables. Never happened to me before, though... Anyway, FYI, the ride is generally smoother but wetter in the front.

I bought a VHS copy of Song of the South on ebay for around $30. It's a very beautiful movie and worth watching. And I agree with you, I think there are alot of old and even newer movies that are far more racist. Here's why.

• Though the movie depicted the black characters with a simple dialect (they were after all denied education and socialized within the limits of their slavery) the movie never exploited that simple dialect or over exagerated it to prove that whites had superior intelligence, as was common for the time. In fact, in my opinion, the most intelligent person seems to be unlcle Remus, not Johnny. Huck Finn would have it the other way around. Uncle Remus is Johnny's much needed father figure and the only one who knows how to subtly reach out to Johnny through his stories. Johnny's rich well educated white parents are clueless, his father a flake, his mother a well meaning idiot. Then there are the two white boys that bully Johnny who are complete imbeciles. Despite having no formal education and limited worldly experience, Uncle Remus is clearly the clever and benevolent hero of the story.
    • The argument that SSoT is insensitive by not adressing the misery or wrongness of slavery, and sugar coating a dark time in our history is a much better argument, however, the story more about friendship than it is about teaching accurate history or morals. I wholely agree that their captivity should have been depicted as less happy, but that wasn't the purpose of the story. It was made for children a very long time ago, and it was actually pretty forward thinking for that time.
    • Being somewhat of a feminist I could argue that alot of the movies made that long ago depicted women as either pretty thinking simpletons or manipulative shrews and should be banned as well. But I just accept it for what it is knowing that hopefully more and more people are growing out of these misconceptions about other people. I think MTV is more harmful in this way than any classic movies are in shaping how young people percieve other people.
    Last edited by cerpin taxt; 08-27-2007 at 06:01 PM.

• Closed Account

Get her an illustrated copy of an "Uncle Remus Stories" book. My Mom had one from her childhood that I read all the time as a little kid. Most of the stories are really funny and have good morals at the end. I still remember the story of the tar baby as being one of my favorites (regardless of its supposed political incorrectness). I think the Uncle Remus stories should be considered great American folktales, not racis and outdates books that should be discarded.

• Geoff London

As someone in the U.K. who has had an unedited VHS (PAL) copy of this film since Heaven knows when I really cannot understand the objection to its release in the USA. OK - it gives out the message that slaves sat around singing jolly old songs and that black and white got along on occassions. It was made in 1946 when attitudes were very different than they are today but it should be seen despite its flaws. Anyone ever seen "Gone with the Wind"? I doubt you'd get any black actress today to portray the "Butterfly" role in the way that Hattie MacDonald did and yet that woman was a great actress. (Honored even by USPS stamps). We have to move on. This year we are recognising the dreadful act of slavery and its eventual abolition. We need to learn from these things. You don't do that by hiding things away.
    Splash Mountain was sanitised beyond belief. Nowhere does Uncle Remus appear. And yet this is one of the most popular rides at Disney. I do it over and over again. There are generations who don't realise the full story behind the ride. Do they need to you may ask? Well, I believe they do. We can only advance if we have the will and the knowledge to. The film stands or falls on how you perceive it but how can you make a judgement unless you see it? OK you don't want to burden a 3 or 4 year old with its background but it won't hurt to discuss it in later years. And, yes, get the books for your kids. I'd rather they read those than play the trashy computer games that are around today.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast