Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• DisneyFan

The Starcade should go

With all the recent posts about how to improve Tomorrowland, what about this idea; remove the Starcade.

While I remember this place being really cool when I was a kid (I'm 29 now), it seems that now it is a shadow of it's former glory. It's been reduced to 1 floor from 2, the games are all really common, and, as sad as it is for my childhood memories, video arcades are a thing of the past. I don't think I've seen anything yet here about getting rid of the Starcade and using that prime space for a new ride or a queue for something that replaces the lame HISTA.

Anyone know how much space there really is in there or if it's feasable to replace this aging (non)attraction?

• Traditional Glow Fanatic

Re: The Starcade should go

There's not that much space beyond what you see. There's a few small stockrooms off to the side, but nothing like I remember back playing Trogg or pinball on hot summer days on the second level. The only problem with placing something else there is that with Space and HISTA exits there isn't much more room for manuverability as it's currently situated. They could probably fix that a small bit by joining the exit areas together, but it would probably be a bit on the smallish side.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

They should really bring back the air-hockey tables.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• ...lurks...

Either re-vamp it, or lose it. Come on guys - even something that's DISNEY related...

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I totally remember playing the Tron video game in there in the early 80s. Now this is a way we can bring Tron back to Tomorrowland!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'm not one to say take something out just because I don't like it. But Starcade is a joke. Games are either broken or way outdated.

Show some pride Disney! I'm all for Disney making money but this area is just a waste.

Chad

Agree totally, the 2nd floor now is a disgrace! Last time I went on Space Mtn I saw inside the 2nd floor and is was not pretty to put it mildly. What I would like to see happen is move the Star Trader to the current Starcade site. And expand the Star Tours que and showroom into the current Star Trader shop. Especially if they want to give you different locations to go to on Star Tours.

• Multi-decade CM

Rather than eliminating StarCade, it should be upgraded to the latest games like an in Park Dave & Buster.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - I'll put the toilet seat down when women start leaving it up!

--== TIGERS' QUEST - www.tigersquest.com
    --== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS - www.dwad.net

• "I Break Things"

While I have read PLENTY of Starcade threads I love this one... the plain, simple, "just take it out" comment made it worth it... hope it doesn't get merged.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

Just a brief note on the starcade from MC's resident history geek, for those who might not have enjoyed the Starcades Original Glory.
    During the 70s there was a push in many amusement parks to add a video arcade, and Disneyland was no exception. It opened May 4th, 1977 and preceded the opening of Space Mountain by 23 days (May 27th). The Starcade orignally encompassed 2 floors of video games, Air Hockey and even had it's own gyroscope ride that was staffed by Attractions CM's from Captain EO and the subsequent HISTA. I couldn't get an approximite time on when the second floor was closed, but I'm curious if anyone knows. One of the main theories about the 2nd floor closure was that the
    "speedramps" which Disney was so fond of in the 70's and 80's was permanently inoperable and to fix it would have meant compliance with the ADA.

From The Disneyland Website:
    From beginners to seasoned pros, there is something for every player. In this raucous arcade you can discover:
    • 200 games
    • Games spanning the spectrum from the classics to the latest state-of-the-art technologies
    • Category: Amusements
    Two hundred Games? Not the last time I checked... Some old 1970's art on the wall, old 1970's tile on the floor and an old 1970's Cashier Booth that was replaced with a Change Machine sometime between 1999 and 2001.

Working HISTA Exit was torture...when they used to have that stupid Uncle Fester Adam's Family Game. I and a couple of others who knew Jungle and HISTA brought a little Westside Jungle Justice over there and would unplug it first thing in the morning. Then facilities would get called, they'd come over, plug it back in and yell at our leads, who would tell us not to unplug the machine.

The next day...

lather, wash, repeat.

The Starcade...much like Alberto Gonzalez is useless, and needs to be removed.
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I vote for a Tomorrowland retro-chic sit down restaurant.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• The Magics in the details

I've actually had talks with some decently high up Disney officials regarding the starcade, basically it still turns over millions of dollars in revenue each year, so they don't want to discard it so quickly. Last figure I heard was something like $7 Million in cleared revenue for the 2005 operating year.... not a bad haul when there is minimal maintenance and virtually no shrinkage!
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place, Welcome!
    Disneyland is Your Land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and youth can saver the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will be a source of joy an inspiration to all the world.
    "
    -- Walter Elias Disney, July 17, 1955 approx 4:35PM

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanSkippa View Post
    The Starcade...much like Alberto Gonzalez is useless, and needs to be removed.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• The Magics in the details

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Too bad the resort isn't run by a democracy. :P
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place, Welcome!
    Disneyland is Your Land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and youth can saver the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will be a source of joy an inspiration to all the world.
    "
    -- Walter Elias Disney, July 17, 1955 approx 4:35PM

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Oh, yes please!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast