Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

fear of space mountain

I'm afraid to ride space mountain. It gives me the chills whenever I look at it. I used to be afraid to ride splash mountain, but now I love it. I can't say that for space. Anyone else afraid to go on space mountain? Or am I the only wimp

• Destroyer of Mallcore

Re: fear of space mountain

You're not the only one, I know quite a few people (my mom was one of them but somehow I got her to get on it and she enjoyed it, even if she was tricked into getting on it when she was young , when the ride was rougher and ended up vomiting ) Me in the other hand is one of its biggest fans and would love to try every single space mountain all over the world.

Now, I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic!

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

It's very common to be afraid to ride Space mountain. The thing you can do it is ride it at least once. I guarentee you will love it and want to go again!! it happens before. A kid is afraid to go on a ride and I tell them that they will love it, and they do!!

• To infinity & beyond!!

My friend just bought an ap last week, and she is afraid to go on a few of the rides, Space Mountain being the worst. I told her that by the time her pass expires, she will be begging me to go on Space with her!

• ...TWO BITS!

Is it fear of the dark or headchoppers?

My friend liked BTMRR, but after riding the revamped Space Mountain, he likes SM better.

Kind of off topic, I wonder how different HKDL's Ghost Galaxy for Halloween will be compared to Rockin' Space Mountain.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• I am number 4 of 999

LOVE Disneyland's, wouldn't ride WDW's again if you paid me to do it!
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

• =)

I felt the same way for a long time. I wanted to ride Space Mountain so badly...I remembered enjoying it when I was very young, but then my stomach seemed to disagree with it once and after that, a series of coincidental closures prevented me from riding it for a decade. At first, I missed SM a lot. I even had dreams in which I was wandering through the queue, but I would wake up just before boarding. But as the years passed, fear of the ride somehow managed to build up. Finally, I had my perfect chance to ride it just a month ago. I'm very happy to say that despite my trepidation and numerous moments when I nearly decided not to go, I pushed through it and boarded the rocket, not realizing just how much of a blast I was about to have. It was a really incredible ride--I came back again later, and wanted to go a third time but didn't have time. I'm so glad I pushed through the fear and had the fun I did. Space Mountain, at long last, ranks once more as one of my very favorite rides.

For me, the fear was mainly about having another stomach upset. For you, it might be the darkness, or the physical intensity, or simply an irrational fear prompted by the imposing and rather alien appearance of the exterior. It's okay to feel scared about any of these, and if the fear is enough to prevent you from riding, you don't have to go. However, I do think that you'll have as much fun as I did. After the initial lift hills, the ride consists mostly of short drops, short straightaways, and tight turns...mostly to the right. The ride progresses from less intense to more intense, but never becoming unbearable or uncomfortable. It's a very smooth ride, though the downward G-forces are definitely noticeable in the tight turns near the end. (By that I mean that you feel pushed into your seat.) The interior is rather beautiful--very dark, with stars whirling around everywhere. You can rarely see the track much, which makes the ride a lot more surprising, but that's okay.

Know that you're DEFINITELY not alone. I think Space Mountain is the scariest Disneyland ride for a lot of people--and it's also the best Disneyland ride for a lot of people. It happens to be both for me. I still feel creeped out about that ride, more so than I do for the Haunted Mansion or Snow White or Tower of Terror. To me, it just feels so...alien. But I love it because of that. You don't have to ride if you don't want to, but know that others like you--myself included--have overcome their fear and grown to love this masterpiece.

If you do decide to ride but have nerves in line, just keep breathing. Breathe nice and deeply, and let all your thoughts be positive ones. Don't tell yourself you won't be able to handle the anxiety, don't tense up, don't hyperventilate. And try smiling...it can help. I've dealt with anxiety problems before, inside and outside the park. These things do help.

The biggest reason I can think of for you to ride is so that the fear doesn't continue to escalate. Once you've faced it, you'll probably either hate the ride or (more likely) love the ride. Either way, you won't be confronted by this big unknown anymore. Either you'll know that you never need to think about the ride again or you'll know that you need to ride again as many times as you can. And that feels a lot better than having that nervous question bubbling inside you.

Good luck, and most of all, have fun.

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Overall, something is not that bad then you would think. So, just go for it!!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I was scared to ride Space Mountain when I was a kid. But I was scared of most roller coasters for awhile. I finally braved up when I was 12 and rode it with my dad.... and I loved it. WDW's needs a major overhaul, but I rode it twice last weekend.

I was never scared of Space but Iused to be scared to death of Matterhorn. When the Abominable Snowman yelled I had to close my eyes. Now I have found that my son inherited my fear of the "monster."
    Check out my new Disney Blog here. What it lacks in quality it makes up with... Well, nothing I guess.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
    I was never scared of Space but Iused to be scared to death of Matterhorn. When the Abominable Snowman yelled I had to close my eyes. Now I have found that my son inherited my fear of the "monster."
    Slightly off topic....being a tall person (6'5") my biggest Matterhorn fear has always been about having my head taken off by those low-hanging rocks the sled goes under.
    I have to get way down in the sled to avoid that.

SM has some low-hanging bars too that are a bit scary in that sense.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I couldn't ride on Space for a couple years after it opened. Same thing with the Log Ride at Knott's. Funny thing, I remember being more afraid to ride the Log Ride than Space Mountain.

This is when I was a kid. Then one day all of a sudden it was like I wasn't afraid to do it.

If you are a frequent visitor it makes it easier because you start to get desensitized. If you don't go frequently I guess you'll just have to take the bull by the horns and do it...

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Slightly off topic....being a tall person (6'5") my biggest Matterhorn fear has always been about having my head taken off by those low-hanging rocks the sled goes under.
    I have to get way down in the sled to avoid that.

SM has some low-hanging bars too that are a bit scary in that sense.
    Just want to let you, and everyone else know, that you can't get hurt like that.

In the spirit of the mythbusters, my brother, brother-in-law and I rode each mountain several times with our hands up and out as far as we possibly could.

For the science:
    Me: Six feet tall
    Brother: Six feet two inches
    Brother In Law: Six feet eight inches
    (of course this is without sticking our hands up)

We rode each ride twice with our hands up, twice with our hands out to the side and twice trying to hit something with our hands.

Results:

Space Mountain: Nobody ever hit anything. Not even grazing. Nothing.
    Splash Mountain: If you try you can touch parts of the ride, but not when you are going fast, and only if you try.
    Thunder Mountain: If you try hard enough you can barely rub the tips of your fingers on part of the mountain.
    Matterhorn: You can touch the mountain easily as you go into the lift tunnel and a couple more times if you reach out sideways and up (about a 45 degree angle). I guess you could touch these places on accident, but it would be a 1 in 50 shot.

So, fear of darkness, speed, space, whatever aside, unless you break out of the safety restraint and stand up or something, you can't touch anything on Space. And unless someone I really trust tells me, I say that all Space Mountain "hit their hands and really hurt" stories are fake.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

I absolutely love SM. I started to get afraid to go on it when they put in the speakers for the Dick Dale soundtrack. Being a big guy and having the speakers digging into your shoulders and how rickety the ride was, was no fun. I would come off the ride limping from the safety bars digging into my sides and my neck and shoulders in pain from those speakers. It was a sad day that I decided to stop going on because I was afraid to get too hurt. Went on the day it reopened after the very lengthy refurb and all I have to say is that Space went right back to the top as being one of my fave attractions. Very smooth ride and awesome soundtrack (I just wish they would bring back Dick Dale for the night time soundtrack!!)
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Just do it! Chances are, you'll like it. No attraction at DLR is meant to scare the $#%@ out of you, nor send you to the hospital.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast