• is too darn hot.

Advertising at Disneyland

I've seen here and there various people comment on the perceived prevalence of outside sponsors at Disneyland, from attractions to the little hand-washing instruction placards above the sinks in the restrooms, almost always in a derogatory sense. Some seem to think it is a new phenomenon, but I'd like to point out the track record at Disneyland. There was a time when almost every other word on the PeopleMover spiel was "Goodyear" or "rubber," same with the Monorail spiel. Look at the Monsanto House of the Future or the Monsanto Hall of Aluminum or the Adventures Through Inner Space, presented by Monsanto, or Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room presented by Dole. How about Richfield Oil's "The World Beneath Us" film, a blatant advertisement for the raping of the earth for fossil fuels.

If Anything, the advertising at Disneyland these days is more subtle and doesn't hit you over the head the way it did in the past. Only the Tiki Room remains as an example of in-your-face blatant advertising at Disneyland, and even then the Dole presentation fits perfectly with the theme of the attraction (minus the stupid modern Flash-based animation). Even a complete billboard at the park (toilet paper advertisement near California Screamin' at DCA) fits into the theme, looking like a hand-painted advertisement from the mid-'30s. Sponsorship and advertising at the parks is neither new nor is it detrimental as advertising dollars are some of the reasons that Disneyland has maintained a (mostly) consistent level of quality and enjoyment over the years. Think before the next time you react negatively to an ad in the park.

Thoughts?
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Advertising at Disneyland

Let's see...The Upjohn Pharmacy on Main Street...and actual functioning Bank of America (B of A originally sponsored It's A Small World)...Hills Brothers Coffee House...Aunt Jemima's Pancake House...the original Sara Lee Cafe Orleans...Kikkoman (soy sauce) sponsored the Tahitian Terrace at the time...

Yep, it's been part of Disneyland from the start...and has never bothered me.

The "handwashing instructions" are a hoot. After 50 years plus of living, I've finally learned how to do it.
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 08-28-2007 at 04:37 AM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• is too darn hot.

Yeah, those instructions are pretty much the only advertising I find somewhat stupid and pointless...
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Senior Minion

I like listening to the original recording of the Diamond Horseshoe Revue. Blatant Pepsi advertising ahoy!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

GE was pushed pretty hard in the original COP. Listening to the soundtrack now it almost seems comical. The removal of those parts almost makes the newer version at WDW better.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I remember the stage curtain in the Country Bear Jamboree had a huge advertisement for Wonder Bread on it.