question about monstro in pinnochio

Ok, so as a little kid I was scared to death to go on pinnochio because monstro scares the stuffing out of me. Well about three years ago we went on a family trip and one of the things they had me do was to go on pinnochio to fight my fear haha. It was New years eve and we were going threw the ride... I hate to admit it but I wasn't having fun at this moment becuase I was dreading the sight of the monster (I had imagined him as a kid to be HUGE! and opening and closing his mouth with water shooting out of his blow hole) haha. Well we reach the end and as im scared to death... this little cardboard paper looking monstro pops out of what looks to be a box and that was it...

Well this leads me to when i went last year, I thought "since he wasn't scary looking to me anymore then ill ride threw and enjoy the ride rather then not enjoying it because im scared of seeig him" haha. Well I go on and im having a great time, then comes the time to encounter monstro... Im starting to get really cold... something isn't right! The music starts blarring and thunder is roaring then all of a sudden a good size AA monstro comes poping out of me!!! with huge teeth and all!!! I start screaming haha, really loud at that. He wasn't what i thought in my head as a kid but he was definitly frightning.

Which leads me to my question. Was monstro down for refurb at the time I went and was replaced by a cardboard looking one or was that a seasonal thing?

• Hooterville, USA

Re: question about monstro in pinnochio

I ride Pinocchio everytime I go and I don't remember Monstro being different.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• It's all nonsense

You should be scared of Monstro...he'll bite your arm off.

Quote Originally Posted by wardy View Post
    Was monstro down for refurb at the time I went and was replaced by a cardboard looking one or was that a seasonal thing?
    It's not impossible, of course, since they do remove figures for refurbishments in the attractions while leaving the attraction open. And I believe that occasionally someone will fabricate a temporary replacement. But in this case I would bet your memory is playing tricks on you, which happens to the best of us

If I were working in maintenance and I had to remove Monstro for some reason I would probably just leave that spot empty and possibly deactivate the lightning effect.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

I don't ever remember Monstro blowing water out. He's always looks the same to me for the past 4 years.

no he never blew water out, it was all in my head as a kid. But what i mean is when i went three years ago he was just a small cardboard thing... kinda like a pop up book but then when I went last year he was actually a big plasic figure coming out from behind a wave.

• A Pirate's Life For Me...

Way too far from the magic..Glendale, Arizona

Don't feel bad. I would not go on The Storybook Land Canals for the reason of being eaten by Monstro. I only rode it for the first time last year and im 20.................

Thank you Poisonedapples for my my my signature!!!

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

While the Storybookland Monstro has undergone aesthetic changes (not for the better, IMO), I have never noticed a difference in Pinocchio's Monstro.

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    While the Storybookland Monstro has undergone aesthetic changes (not for the better, IMO), I have never noticed a difference in Pinocchio's Monstro.
    Ditto.

But I do sometimes notice that various set pieces can change appearance based on when you ride. Coming from the bright sunlight into a dark ride without time for your eyes to adjust to the change in light...set pieces often look different...have different percieved scale and/or depth...than when you ride at night coming from the dark into the dark ride.

IMHO and experience.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    You should be scared of Monstro...he'll bite your arm off.
    I believe that's why they say "Please keep all arms, hands, legs, and feet inside the ride vehicle at all times." Someone didn't once while on Pinocchio and Monstro bit the guy's arm off. He's pretty strict on following the rules.

When I was a little kid, the witch on Snow White always made me jump. In my mind she moved so fast and so close, that I practically thought she almost jumped in our car. I of course new she was fake, but my family always laughed at me because whenever I saw her I would lean as far away from her as I could.

Then I went again as a teenager an she was so unscary that for awhile I was certain they deliberately made her slower and less alarming. But later I came to the conclusion that I simply don't have the same imagination I did as a tiny child when things that I knew were fake were still real to me.

I know that doesn't really answer your Monstro question, especially since you went on it again as an adult. My only guess is it could be the sounds and lighting fx were down the one time when you anticipated something really surprising you remembered as a child. Then when they got the fx taken care of, it was enough to surprise you again. Mabe. They could have had another temp. Monstro for awhile. I seem to remember a similar feeling, but I just attributed it to the same feeling I got from the Snow white ride and dismissed it.

• Minion FOREVER!

I ride Pinnochio regularly. (at least once each year).

In the last five years (although I'm pretty sure that there has been a refurb), Monstro hasn't
    changed very much.

The effect is pretty much the same. But looking at things from different angle changes the
    effect greatly.

However, if I remember correctly, Monstro has changed (become more 3D) since 1983.
    But it's never spouted water.. (The Storybookland one always did though).

• Adventurer Slash Explorer

Haha, it's alright. As a kid, I wouldn't ride Snow White, it had scary trees!

But I rode Pinnochio by myself this year, and I was scared the entire time. It takes a ride by yourself to notice how DARK and frightening it is! I was freaking out! I had to hum and remind myself it was just a ride. The scariest part was the Donkey part. "I wanna go home!" "i want my mooommmy!" It's so terrible. Makes me feel really bad.

And, rides are always scarier when your a kid.

Though I admit I screamed on Snow White... did the alligator-things ALWAYS move at you?!