Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 49
  1. #16

    •   
    • Blind to His Own Faults
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Near
    Posts
    8,060

    Re: Missing the Keel Boats

    Mike Fink Keel Boats are one of those attractions that is remembered fondly, but (as we already see, just in this thread) didn't inspire ridership.
    I loved 'em, and rode them often, but their removal was warranted. I mourn the further erosion of Frontierland's theme with the loss of the Keelboats, however, more than I do the loss of the actual Keelboats themselves (as they did little to add popularity to Frontierland).
    Rather than see them replaced, I would much rather see funding go into the ideas of a train station and surrounding town that I and others have been stumping for this past year.

  2. #17

    • See you there!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Hub between Goofy and White Rabbit
    Posts
    5,503

    Re: Missing the Keel Boats

    The Keel Boats were great! Some of the skippers were great, lots of fun.

    Too bad they were not redesigned to be a little safer.

    CU@DL

    Andy
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

    Boom!

    I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

    Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

  3. #18

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    658

    Re: Missing the Keel Boats

    I loved the keel boats! they were my favorite river transportation as a young lad. I miss 'em


    They could surely bring them back with some kind of modified (wider) hull design, no?
    It was nice to go around the river on a smaller craft than the Twain or the Columbia.

  4. #19

    • "I Break Things"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,370

    Re: Missing the Keel Boats

    Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Mike Fink Keel Boats are one of those attractions that is remembered fondly, but (as we already see, just in this thread) didn't inspire ridership.
    I loved 'em, and rode them often, but their removal was warranted. I mourn the further erosion of Frontierland's theme with the loss of the Keelboats, however, more than I do the loss of the actual Keelboats themselves (as they did little to add popularity to Frontierland).
    Rather than see them replaced, I would much rather see funding go into the ideas of a train station and surrounding town that I and others have been stumping for this past year.
    I believe it did inspire ridership, it has simply been gone for a while. As others have pointed out it was also a welcome alternative that had a place between those who didn't want the big boats and those who hated to paddle. If they wanted a simple solution to bring back theme this would be it... it would make the river "busy" again.. a real thriving river with multiple craft moving through the currents. Add in some much needed theme to Frontierland like Mine Train or Cascade, and you might get some of that magic back!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"


    "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"


  5. #20

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,891

    Re: Missing the Keel Boats

    Quote Originally Posted by whitestrat View Post
    I loved the keel boats! they were my favorite river transportation as a young lad. I miss 'em


    They could surely bring them back with some kind of modified (wider) hull design, no?
    It was nice to go around the river on a smaller craft than the Twain or the Columbia.
    I think safety issues, if nothing else than by reputation would stop them and the cast-to-guest ration would discourage them. They're more likely to kill the kanoes than bring back the keels.

  6. #21

    • 10 years...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    34

    Re: Missing the Keel Boats

    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanSkippa View Post
    Yeah right...look at that kid sitting on the front of the Keel Boat, no way woud the Disney lawyers EVER allow that again.
    That was my favorite place to sit when I rode it!

  7. #22

    •   
    • Blind to His Own Faults
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Near
    Posts
    8,060

    Re: Missing the Keel Boats

    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I believe it did inspire ridership, it has simply been gone for a while. As others have pointed out it was also a welcome alternative that had a place between those who didn't want the big boats and those who hated to paddle. If they wanted a simple solution to bring back theme this would be it... it would make the river "busy" again.. a real thriving river with multiple craft moving through the currents. Add in some much needed theme to Frontierland like Mine Train or Cascade, and you might get some of that magic back!
    There are better ways to reinforce the FL theme than bring back an attraction (albeit enjoyable) that failed to inspire enough ridership to save it from the chopping block. I am for improving the thematic infrastructure of FL, not just bringing back an old 'favorite' for novelty's sake. Loved the originals, but let's see some changes that will cause Guests to say "wow!", not just "wow, I remember that one!", says I.
    Last edited by fo'c's'le swab; 08-30-2007 at 10:53 AM.

  8. #23

    • Follow me on Twitter!!!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    California/New York City
    Posts
    831

    Re: Missing the Keel Boats

    Aw I remember riding those when I was little. I thought they were cool.
    *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

  9. #24

    • "I Break Things"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,370

    Re: Missing the Keel Boats

    Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    There are better ways to reinforce the FL theme than bring back an attraction (albeit enjoyable) that failed to inspire enough ridership to save it from the chopping block. I am for improving the thematic infrastructure of FL, not just bringing back an old 'favorite' for novelty's sake. Loved the originals, but let's see some changes that will cause Guests to say "wow!", not just "wow, I remember that one!", says I.
    would it be the lack of ridership, or the fact that one flipped, that kept some from riding it. Also how many can we find who remember riding the people mover or skyway... it been almost a decade since a lot of these went missing... finding those who rode isn't always as simple says I.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"


    "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"


  10. #25

    •   
    • Blind to His Own Faults
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Near
    Posts
    8,060

    Re: Missing the Keel Boats

    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    would it be the lack of ridership, or the fact that one flipped, that kept some from riding it. Also how many can we find who remember riding the people mover or skyway... it been almost a decade since a lot of these went missing... finding those who rode isn't always as simple says I.
    It was a dying attraction when it 'flipped'. If it had been a popular attraction it certainly could have survived dunking some Guests. Big Thunder just had a fatal accident recently, but there are no plans to remove it, nor have I seen reports that it suffered any documented ridership drop-off; because it is popular. I would rather see time, money, and energy put into the portions of Frontierland that don't already have 'movement' (the ROA is still a 'busy' place, even without the presence of the Keelboats); 'movement' is needed on Big Thunder Trail, at least enough to wake up the nappers on the benches.

  11. #26

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits
    Posts
    3,663

    Re: Missing the Keel Boats

    Quote Originally Posted by CUatDL View Post
    The Keel Boats were great! Some of the skippers were great, lots of fun. Too bad they were not redesigned to be a little safer.
    But it wasn't the boat, Andy - IMHO it was Driver Error pure and simple, if not 100% at least 90% plus.

    I won't say Skipper Error, because a true Skipper of a vessel knows better than to allow everyone up on the upper deck seats (improper loading that makes the boat top-heavy during extreme maneuvers) and then went out and carved hard S-turns at speed trying to get the boat to heel over hard.

    The driver wanted to "give them a show" and it ended up being a whole lot more show than he was planning on...

    They could put a little more lead in the keel, but that only inhibts the roll so much... If you really want to scuttle the boat like that, no matter how deep or heavy the keel it can still be done.

    --<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

  12. #27

    • "I Break Things"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,370

    Re: Missing the Keel Boats

    Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    It was a dying attraction when it 'flipped'. If it had been a popular attraction it certainly could have survived dunking some Guests. Big Thunder just had a fatal accident recently, but there are no plans to remove it, nor have I seen reports that it suffered any documented ridership drop-off; because it is popular. I would rather see time, money, and energy put into the portions of Frontierland that don't already have 'movement' (the ROA is still a 'busy' place, even without the presence of the Keelboats); 'movement' is needed on Big Thunder Trail, at least enough to wake up the nappers on the benches.
    BTM... actually they did debate about removing that after the incident, but that is a whole different story. Overall I know anything they put into Frontierland will cost more then they are currently willing to spend. Disney has never been good with the concept of stages... they are a real all or nothing bunch. Mainly because "stages" allows for more and more budget cuts until you don't get anythig but the first phase. Also any attraction that does not make the numbers will eventually suffer the same fate... even PM and Skyway are excellent examples. To increase ridership the dock would have to be more accessible and it would require more boats... will never happen but they did fill a specific nitch.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    But it wasn't the boat, Andy - IMHO it was Driver Error pure and simple, if not 100% at least 90% plus.

    I won't say Skipper Error, because a true Skipper of a vessel knows better than to allow everyone up on the upper deck seats (improper loading that makes the boat top-heavy during extreme maneuvers) and then went out and carved hard S-turns at speed trying to get the boat to heel over hard.

    The driver wanted to "give them a show" and it ended up being a whole lot more show than he was planning on...

    They could put a little more lead in the keel, but that only inhibts the roll so much... If you really want to scuttle the boat like that, no matter how deep or heavy the keel it can still be done.

    --<< Bruce >>--
    COMPLETELY agree... I have a feeling if they were to be brought back the design would be more along the lines of Jungle... single story... which eliminates half the fun of riding them.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"


    "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"


  13. #28

    •   
    • Blind to His Own Faults
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Near
    Posts
    8,060

    Re: Missing the Keel Boats

    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    BTM... actually they did debate about removing that after the incident, but that is a whole different story. Overall I know anything they put into Frontierland will cost more then they are currently willing to spend. Disney has never been good with the concept of stages... they are a real all or nothing bunch. Mainly because "stages" allows for more and more budget cuts until you don't get anythig but the first phase. Also any attraction that does not make the numbers will eventually suffer the same fate... even PM and Skyway are excellent examples. To increase ridership the dock would have to be more accessible and it would require more boats... will never happen but they did fill a specific nitch.
    I find it hard to believe that BTMRR's future was actually considered seriously to be in jeopardy--at least in a real, tangible sense. But in complete agreement with you that the Keelboats served a purpose, just not as great a service as another new attraction may be able to render. The chances are slim enough (as you said) that any real money is to be allocated for Frontierland at present (a crime in my opinion), which is why I want to get the most possible (creatively) for what (little?) funding may come to Frontierland in the future. Fingers crossed.

  14. #29

    • 2 ifidibee and beyond!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    2 Minutes from the parking structure, 30 minutes from the main gate!
    Posts
    52

    Re: Missing the Keel Boats

    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    The Keel Boats were the only DL ride that freaked me out. I was sure it was going to tip over the way it rocked from side to side.
    Me too! I was really little and always had to go on them because my mom liked them. I remember being so scared!
    "We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together." - Walt Disney

  15. #30

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    116

    Re: Missing the Keel Boats

    I LOVED the keel boats...I even loved the corny jokes...

    I would never sit up top though...I really liked sitting inside for some reason and I miss it every time I am in the park.

    Sigh....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Keel Boats
    By ranman101 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-21-2009, 01:28 PM
  2. [Other] I saw 2 of the old Keel boats behind Main street today
    By Olly Olive Oliver in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-19-2009, 12:10 PM
  3. [Question] River Rogue Keel Boats?
    By Disneyfan4 in forum Disneyland Paris
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-10-2008, 02:33 AM
  4. Do you remember? Mike Finks Keel Boats
    By CAspace in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-28-2008, 03:09 PM
  5. Mike Fink Keel Boats
    By BackIntoYourSystem in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-01-2006, 08:00 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •