Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion FOREVER!

Re: Missing the Keel Boats

I loved the keel boats... it was much more "funner" than sitting on the Mark Twain.

*sigh*...

BTW. I don't really remember the ridership declining that much... I vaguely remember
    reasonable healthy lines... I could be wrong... that's over 20 years ago..

Personally, I think they really should be brought back to give more motion & life back to RoA
    regardless of what else happens in Frontierland.

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

I snapped these pictures of the Gullywhumper today on my mini trip to the park. Was this the one that was flipped or was it the Bertha Mae?

-"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

• Collision speed....FULL!

Although the Keel boats are gone, they still tend to make a few trips around the river at night

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanSkippa View Post
    Was this the one that was flipped or was it the Bertha Mae?
    It was the Gully that flipped, which is most likely why the Bertha went on the auction block. I'm waiting for them to do something with I.M. Brave!

As to the "ridership" they actually brought them back because they were popular! You don't get 40 people on a boat if you don't have a line to do it! One the incident happened that was it, closed for good, they were not given another chance. This was also pre- D.O.S.H. (Columbia incident). They closed 2 years after PM, so that puts them at around a decade of being gone. As I said earlier, plenty of riders out there who remember them. As you can see on here they are missed. Bringing them back, or a variant of them, would not be cheap, but if Disney looks at numbers it would be cheaper then most other land based attractions. This would be "phase 1" so even if "phase 2" never comes at least we would have something.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    Although the Keel boats are gone, they still tend to make a few trips around the river at night

Grim Grinning keel boats come out to socilaize?
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

I love me some haunted keel boats.

• "I Break Things"

As usual... well done amazing work!

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    The dock is the smoking area, no?

Anyway, there was an article not that long ago in Yesterland about the guy who bought the other keelboat including a great picture of the watercraft itself.
    The dock is still there, and indeed it is the smoking section.

An early shot of the river landing pre-NOS, I love this picture, no Haunted Mansion or even Bear Country.

Keel Boat Landing Before

Last edited by TrojanSkippa; 08-30-2007 at 11:10 PM.

Oh, is that where the dock was? Then what is the dock next to the dock for the big boats? Going towards Big Thunder Trail, kind of near the french fries? They closed it off recently.

• "I Break Things"

I'm not really sure what that was for to be honest... I'm sure someone on here knows though.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by nemopoppins View Post
    Oh, is that where the dock was? Then what is the dock next to the dock for the big boats? Going towards Big Thunder Trail, kind of near the french fries? They closed it off recently.
    That's 'The Freight Dock', and AFAIK it's only there as part of the pump house for the Fantasmic! fountains and mist screens - they don't use it as a dock.

Is it closed with a hard gate now? They used to leave a portable barrier in front of the ramp to discourage people from going up there, but the "Backside Of Fantasmic!" people could still go around it. I would warn the tourists that found their way up there that it wasn't a very good place for really watching the show, and they would thank me and go get a good spot.

The rumble you feel while Fantasmic! is running is from several high powered water pumps in the shed next to the dock, and there's almost certainly a "basement" level below the dock and shed. And you can hear the air actuated valves switching the water flow as the show progresses, and the vibrations and noises change.

They used to leave it open and it was an interesting place to watch Fantasmic! from for Disney Geeks, but not for the average person. You can't see the stage or projections very well from up there - but instead you get to see everyone on the big boats up close "in the wings" as they are approaching the stage, and sometimes the performers were still scrambling to get into position or grab their props.

And you could potentially see them loading up the 'Princess Barges' next to the Old Mill. Potential "Bad Show" stuff if one of your little ones sees Ariel running to her barge or still getting in position on the Twain capstan - not sure how they do it, but there could be a severe OOC issue involved.

And now you know... The rest of the story!

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• "I Break Things"

I always found it relaxing to sit up there during the day... not sure if they still let people do that. Thank you for the info, like I said I know someone on here would know more about it. Frontierland has never been my specialty... Adventureland is. As to F! the best spot to watch will always be the Treehouse, and for fireworks... top of Indy when we were allowed to do that.

• Santa Barbara, CA

"Howdy all you sodbusters, mule skinners, horse traders, chicken thieves, cattle rustlers, cow punchers, inlaws, outlaws, southpaws, pioneers, pioneeresses, and anything that might have crawled out of the woodwork while I wasnt lookin'"

I'm Cousin Orville and welcome aboard the Gullywhumper, the same boat that Davy Crockett and Mike Fink raced down the O-hio river back there on TV. But we're not gonna be doin no Keel Boat racin' today, we're gonna be takin a short and leisurely trip around that thar hunk of real estate, namely Tom Sawyers Island. We Keel Boaters call it Devils Island, because if you look closely you can see all those little Devils running around on it."
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    ...And now you know... The rest of the story!

--<< Bruce >>--

Thanks for coming through. We knew there'd be someone!

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
    "Howdy all you sodbusters, mule skinners, horse traders, chicken thieves, cattle rustlers, cow punchers, inlaws, outlaws, southpaws, pioneers, pioneeresses, and anything that might have crawled out of the woodwork while I wasnt lookin'"

I'm Cousin Orville and welcome aboard the Gullywhumper, the same boat that Davy Crockett and Mike Fink raced down the O-hio river back there on TV. But we're not gonna be doin no Keel Boat racin' today, we're gonna be takin a short and leisurely trip around that thar hunk of real estate, namely Tom Sawyers Island. We Keel Boaters call it Devils Island, because if you look closely you can see all those little Devils running around on it."
    Were you actually one of them... or did you just love the ride so much that you remember a lot of it 10 years later?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast