Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm So Excited!

• Disneyland Bound

I'm So Excited!

Where will I be two months from today?! Thats right, THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH!!!!

For those who don't know by now, we're taking our first family trip to Disneyland- ever! We'll be there during the last week of October, just in time for all of the Halloween fun. We're booked at the Disneyland Hotel, ordered up Donald's 3 Days of Dining meal/voucher plan with it's 2 Character breakfast experiences and already have our tickets for Mickey's Halloween Treat for October 30th, the perfect cap to our trip before we leave back home on the 31st.

This is a huge deal for us. It will be the first time my kids have ever seen an "amusement park" (we might as well start at the top, eh?), it will be the first time they've ever been on an airplane and the first time they've ever seen an Ocean. I had one brief, afternoon visit to Disneyland as a child and my husband spent two days there as a young child and we've both been eager to go back ever since! It's a wonderful blessing for us to be able to do this for our kids this year. I'm grateful to the Powers That Be who let Travelocity advertise $97 roundtrip airfare from NE to LAX during the month of June! I bit the bullet and whipped out the charge card. That's the only reason we're going. In July the airfare for the same flights doubled and it's been going up ever since.

Our daughter will be almost 16 when we go and our sons are 13 and 8, great ages to be able to experience such a great place. You should have seen their faces when the DH and I broke the news to them. Priceless! We are all getting more and more excited as the dates draws nearer. I read everybody's trip reports and keep thinking that before too much more time goes by, my own trip report will be here for all of you to read. You'll read it, won't you? ;-)

I was originally a bit sad that the park hours for October were pretty short for the days we'll be attending, (Sunday, Monday and Tuesday). My husband and I are determined that our kids will spend a few hours at the ocean- having not ever seen one. This meant that one of our three days at the park would have to be cut in half to allow time for that side trip. So you can imagine how thrilled I was when Delta/Travelocity suddenly changed our flight times significantly, so that instead of arriving at LAX at 8:30PM, we'll now be arriving at 10:30AM, basically giving us a whole extra day to enjoy things- meaning we could spend that first afternoon at the beach and the evening at Downtown Disney without interrupting our 3 days at the park! After a very early morning, lots of flying time and time change adjustment, that might be the perfect way to spend that first day, so we can be relaxed and well rested for our DL days to follow.

As if all that wasn't good enough, I just printed out Disneyland's October calendar (about time it came out!) and noticed that they've increased park hours this October compared to last October! Last year, they were open 9-11 on Sunday. This year? 8-midnight! Monday last year, 10-8. This year? 9-9! DCA has also increased their hours from last year. It might not seem like such a big thing, but that's 4 extra hours in the park for us, and considering this could be a once in a lifetime family trip- that is HUGE!

We're all trying to think up costumes for Mickey's Halloween Treat. DH is going as Captain Kirk from Star Trek. Our youngest is thinking about going as Darth Vader (he's obsessed with Star Wars). DD is thinking about going as Alice In Wonderland, but isn't decided. I had considered the same thing, thinking I could be futuristic Alice the "fluffy" middle aged woman, ha ha! Seriously, I don't have a clue what to "be". My mind is a blank.

Ahhhh, I'm bummed that IASW and Alice in Wonderland will be closed during our visit. IASW is one of the rides I remember most from my oh so brief childhood visit. POTC, Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, Haunted Mansion and Innerspace are the other rides we went on back then. It'll be fun to see the modern versions of the still existing rides. My youngest is very excited about Jedi Training Academy and Buzz Lightyear, as well as the Cars stuff. The oldest son is all about the big rides and POTC. He wants thrills and chills, ha ha! My daughter loves Jack Skellington and can't wait to see the themed Haunted Mansion. We've all got our special "must see" things that we're looking forward to. The kids are expecially sad that we'll be pulling them out of school for 4 days to take this trip. Yep. They're really bummed. ;-)

If you've read all of this, bless your heart. I'm bubbling over in my excitement and while most people understand the kids being excited, they don't "get it" with me. I knew you guys would.

Like I said, I'm so excited! Can ya tell?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: I'm So Excited!

My birthday is Sun. Oct. 28 so if you are too shy to come to a meet just stop by and say hi!

And if I could make one suggestion, if you can change your flight to fly into John Wayne Airport instead of LAX you will save a ton of time...

Just a suggestion but either way you should have a blast!

• Waiting Since 1992

Yaaaaay! I'm excited for you! Growing up in LA, I tended to take DL for granted, until I moved! I guess that's how it goes, huh? Anyway, your trip sounds just perfect: 4 fun filled dayson the coast and at the Happiest Place on Earth! I can't wait to see your trip report! Are you planning on bringing extra suitcases for all the goodies you are going to end up buying?

1hr (at midnight on Sunday) straight up the 5

I can feel the excitement in your post!! You will have a wonderful time!

A Suggestion from another "fluffy middle aged woman" for a costume. Last year I dressed as a pirate wench and got a lot of compliments. Black full skirt, white peasant blouse, Red triangle tied at my waist and TONS of cheap jewelry.

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

Make sure you come visit me in City Hall and get first visit buttons!!! Hope your visit is super extra magical!
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• DL Nerd

I'm stoked for me as well as being stoked for you.....

Cuz I'll be there in 39 DAYS

w00t for both of us!!!!
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

I know that excitement.... I KNOW that excitement....
    WOO HOO for you and your family. You're gonna love it !!

And by the way, I happen to like the park when it closes a bit early.
    That means less crowds. That means a much more relaxed pace
    in the park. That means you are less tired at the end of the day.
    Plenty of time for kicking back by the pool, or anywhere else,
    and recapping the day and talking about what you're gonna do tomorrow.
    October is a super duper groovy wooopee deedoo time to be there.
    Gawrsh !!

• Missing DL like crazy

I'm so excited FOR you! It's going to be an awesome trip for you and your family I can feel it.

Now I can't wait for your trip report!
    I've seen the cursed treasure and I know where it be hidden...

• Disneyland Bound

Thanks everybody! I'm having fun today on my day off to plan out our vacation itinerary- at least the parts that are plannable!

DisneyIPresume- My birthday is Oct 17th, so this trip is actually my belated birthday celebration! If everyone is meeting up, I'd love to join y'all for a while. Thanks too for the airport suggestion, but the crazy low airfares were only for LAX. It would have been many hundreds more to fly into a closer airport as opposed to less than a hundred for the Disneyland Express Bus taking us the rest of the way. It adds a bit more to the travel time, but the kids are actually excited to ride a bus with TV's and a bathroom in it! (We're very rural, we don't get out much, ha ha!)

SaraNoH- I'm actually thinking of bringing an extra suitcase full of waterbottles and snacks! Do you think they'll look at me funny at the airport? I'm thinking some Little Debbie, some fruit snacks and granola bars will go a long ways at DL and we can then splurge on fancy fun snack after dinner. And I'll go nuts without my Diet Pepsi Lime and water, but I think it's crazy to spend $3 per- when we have a constantly thirsty family of 5! Then of course we have the extra bag for souvenirs on the way home. ;-)
    I plan to give the kids each their own temporary credit card with a specific amount on it (I haven't decided how much yet, can ya get any cheap souvenirs at Disneyland?), say $30? No? $40? They can spend it anywhere they want and then when it's gone- it's gone.

Linwe Elensar- Thanks so much for the costume idea! We're on such a tight budget that I don't want to spend money I could spend at DL for a costume I'll wear once. The Pirate wench sounds like something I could do up with stuff I have at home, a few borrowed items and a thrift store trip. Awesome! The main things are that it must be comfy, inexpensive and not take up too much luggage space! Thanks again!

RumRunner31- I'd love to visit you and get buttons! I hope you're working that day! This trip is already magical- and I haven't left Nebraska yet!

Junthor- WOOT! WOOT! I'll look for your trip report to get me even more psyched (if that's possible...)

ghoofie and Wicked Wench- thanks for the well wishes!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by lil lisa View Post
    Thanks everybody! I'm having fun today on my day off to plan out our vacation itinerary- at least the parts that are plannable!

DisneyIPresume- My birthday is Oct 17th, so this trip is actually my belated birthday celebration! If everyone is meeting up, I'd love to join y'all for a while. Thanks too for the airport suggestion, but the crazy low airfares were only for LAX. It would have been many hundreds more to fly into a closer airport as opposed to less than a hundred for the Disneyland Express Bus taking us the rest of the way. It adds a bit more to the travel time, but the kids are actually excited to ride a bus with TV's and a bathroom in it! (We're very rural, we don't get out much, ha ha!)

SaraNoH- I'm actually thinking of bringing an extra suitcase full of waterbottles and snacks! Do you think they'll look at me funny at the airport? I'm thinking some Little Debbie, some fruit snacks and granola bars will go a long ways at DL and we can then splurge on fancy fun snack after dinner. And I'll go nuts without my Diet Pepsi Lime and water, but I think it's crazy to spend $3 per- when we have a constantly thirsty family of 5! Then of course we have the extra bag for souvenirs on the way home. ;-)
    I plan to give the kids each their own temporary credit card with a specific amount on it (I haven't decided how much yet, can ya get any cheap souvenirs at Disneyland?), say $30? No? $40? They can spend it anywhere they want and then when it's gone- it's gone.

Linwe Elensar- Thanks so much for the costume idea! We're on such a tight budget that I don't want to spend money I could spend at DL for a costume I'll wear once. The Pirate wench sounds like something I could do up with stuff I have at home, a few borrowed items and a thrift store trip. Awesome! The main things are that it must be comfy, inexpensive and not take up too much luggage space! Thanks again!
    John Wayne Airport is the closest, but you are right it is also the most expensive. You should be ok but LAX is over 30 miles away and with no traffic this takes about 45 minutes. But days with no traffic in LA is few and far between anymore. If you leave the airport during rush hour or if there is an unexpected accident, this same trip can take up to two hours! I think you should be ok, and the fact that you won't be driving should make it easier. If it is average traffic it should take roughly an hour to get to Disneyland.

It sounds like you are on a budget. You might want to take a look at the Character Warehouse which is located a few miles north in Fullerton. The exact street slips my mind but I can let you know. Basically they sell many overstock items from the parks at a discount price. It definitely does not offer the Disney experience in that it is located in a non-descript strip mall, but it is an option if you are on a budget...

And the Darth Vader costume sounds good although I they don't let you wear masks as part of the costume. I suppose Darth Vader could still be done in this instance but just something to keep in mind. I know because I wanted to be Darth Vader but then I was told I couldn't wear a mask...

But it sounds like you have things figured out so when you do come just sit back and try to pace yourself. You actually get more done at a relaxed pace then running around frantically trying to do everything.

And do stop by the hub at noon on Sunday to say hi!

See you then!

• Banned User

So your Trick or Treating will be October 30th in Anaheim instead of October 31st in Husker Nation.

• Waiting Since 1992

Quote Originally Posted by lil lisa View Post

RumRunner31- I'd love to visit you and get buttons! I hope you're working that day! This trip is already magical- and I haven't left Nebraska yet!

Junthor- WOOT! WOOT! I'll look for your trip report to get me even more psyched (if that's possible...)

ghoofie and Wicked Wench- thanks for the well wishes!
    I know your time is limited, but I would save yourself the hassel of lugging snacks and water in your luggae and wait until you are in LA to buy them. You can even get a lot of the little debbie snacks nowadays at the dollar stores or budget super markets. There is actually a Food Max I believe on Katella, a few blocks west of DCA. You might wanna check them out when you arrive. If it's not Food Max, it's another discount food chain. Saving your money to spend on one-of-a-kind food experiences like Blue Bayou or Ariel's Grotto or Storyteller's Cafe would be a better choice than buying ho-hum $6.00 waters or $5 ice cream bars in the park every day.

Depending on the ages of your children, $40.00 for personal souvenirs seems good to me. For the little ones, that's ten dollars a day and you can always help them out with any larger pruchases of course. There are relatively cheaply priced magnets, pencils, pens, etc which you can buy. There's the relatively cheap autograph books that your kids can fill with character signatures. For the older one, there are t-shirts, clothing etc. they might like. You could consider giving them more money on their card than the younger ones. You just gotta be creative with how you spend, too. That makes a difference.

It sounds like a great trip planned out! I hope everything goes smoothly and an ejoyable time is had by all! My B-day is Oct. 22. Wish I could go to DLand!

• Disneyland Fanatic

How incredibly exciting for you and your family!!

I can't wait to read your trip report! I know the excitement too well, having visited the park for the 1st time as an adult in 2000. Now I'm lucky to be able to go once or twice a year.

If your daughter is going as Alice, why not go as the queen of hearts? disneyshopping has it on their website and their sizes are generous (fellow fluffly here)...it's a little spendy but you already put your credit card to use you can always resell it on Ebay next year!

Whatever you do, have a wonderful time and take tons of pictures!!!!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    It sounds like you are on a budget. You might want to take a look at the Character Warehouse which is located a few miles north in Fullerton. The exact street slips my mind but I can let you know. Basically they sell many overstock items from the parks at a discount price. It definitely does not offer the Disney experience in that it is located in a non-descript strip mall, but it is an option if you are on a budget...
    Its off the Harbor Blve on either Orangethorpe or Orangefair isen't it? As you go North on Harbor its on the right hand side... you can't see it from Harbor, its around the corner of the shopping center... next to... what was it... Staples or Best Buy or something like that I think....

Wow... this trip is going to be soooooo fantastic!!! It will be especially magical since its the first time for your entire family to go together!! (But hopefully not the last!!!) The end of October is a beautiful time in So Cal!!! The days are usually temperate, the nights cool... could have some rain, but not very likely... I can't wait to see your report!!!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Disneyland Bound

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

We won't be renting a car, so anyplace we go has to be on foot or worth the cost of a cab. That was why I wondered about bringing a few snacks along. I just hadn't made up my mind if it was worth the luggage hassle. If we don't do that, we can probably get away with just carry on luggage- which would be nice.

Maybe it would be worth it to make a taxi round trip that first non-Disneyland day to see the beach, hit a dollar store and visit Character Warehouse. How much do cabs cost down there?

We're very much on a budget, but we also want to do Disneyland right. We're paying a bit extra to stay at the DH. Originally we were booked at the Fairfield Inn, but when DH started it's 4th night free promo, we upgraded for the experience. We got the vouchers for in the park, but I know we'll probably be coughing up a few extra dinero to accommodate teenage appetites and some fanciful food splurges as well as the recently added extra day. I knew it would be easy to go overboard on souvenir spending, so thought the individual credit cards would keep that more controlled, yet give the kids freedom to get what they want. I have two teenagers and an 8 year old, so the teens will probably get a bit more $$ to work with. DH would be content with a DL cap or t-shirt and I plan on starting a pin collection, though I've not decided on a theme yet. I'm thinking about Disney cats or dogs.

The 8 year old should be okay with his mask. Our tickets said masks are okay as long as the eyes are visible. Knowing him, he'll only have it on for 5 minutes and then he'll just be a kid in a black cape, ha ha!

We're definitely Trick or Treating in Anaheim on the 30th! I already warned the kids we'll be missing Halloween since we'll be on airplanes or in airports all day and evening on the 31st.

I really appreciate the information and suggestions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast