Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Title: [scanning.....]

Re: Grand Circle Tour of DCA (A train idea)

I suppose if they used a train that has a retro-futuristic look to it, it would work. The only problem I see is that DCA is a bit more time-themed than DL. The only areas in DL that really has a setting to it are MS and NOS. DCA however has several lands that don't neccesarily jive with one another time-wise. Just a quick thought...

NO dining car though... it would be somewhat akin to the original Tiki Room ideas.
    Buy Genius eau de toilette: Made with 1% Inspiration

Happiness is returning after a much regretted hiatus!!!

BOO!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Nice maps! I like having the WDCARR going through the Brother Bear National Park area.

Overhead on tressles a la Critter Country, I presume?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    I sure hope Walt's love affair with railroads is represented in the new DCA.

I still think the DLRR and DCARR should be linked up like a figure-8, for special railroad events or the dining train that was proposed.

However, it sounds like an expensive investment to duplicate another railroad attraction, but if they really want the 2nd gate to reflect Walt Disney's life and passion, make the second gate into a giant model railroad like Disneyland is.
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 10-03-2007 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Hotlinked Picture Removed

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dippy Dawg View Post
    I suppose if they used a train that has a retro-futuristic look to it, it would work. The only problem I see is that DCA is a bit more time-themed than DL. The only areas in DL that really has a setting to it are MS and NOS. DCA however has several lands that don't neccesarily jive with one another time-wise. Just a quick thought...

NO dining car though... it would be somewhat akin to the original Tiki Room ideas.
    They could have a few dining cars parked inside a 'station' at the entrance, and make it a RR themed restaurant.

I think Walt would have liked that idea.

• DL Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I think Zack1 means that the Santa Fe and Western Pacific locomotives are the same (GM F-3s or F-7s).
    Doesn't your head hurt from knowing all of this?
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Junthor View Post
    Doesn't your head hurt from knowing all of this?
    Let's just say I have a "one track" mind.

• Minion

Let's just say I have a "one track" mind.
    I'm sure you know all this for the best of reasons... otherwise people would accuse you of having loco motives.

• Second Star to the right.

Second Star to the Right and Straight on Till Morning

Steve,

Would there be enough room in the DL roundhouse for 2 parks worth of trains? They could link the two tracks through a tunnel under DTD and use a simple switch to connect to DLRR and have a Y switch to connect to DCARR. That would save the cost of 2 maintenance yards.
    Check out my flickr photos!

• Closed Account

The roundhouse can comfortably hold four sets of cars, and five locomotives. So, two parks' worth of trains would be a stretch.

Besides, there are serious logistic issues with having the DRR trains run to DCA--not the least of which is the fact that the DRR line is probably 15 feet or so higher in elevation than DCA, making a grade in such a short distance impassible by the current DRR engines. Of course, if DCA had been built "right," with an apprpriate berm, the idea may have some merit.

I think that is an excellent idea! I know the first thing i like to do when I get to DLR is go on the train so one around DCA would be great.

I really think alot of you here should be working for disney, your ideas are genius at times.

Besides, there are serious logistic issues with having the DRR trains run to DCA
    I was thinking the DCA RR would have their own trains and just use a short distance of DLRR track to get to and from the roundhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    I really think alot of you here should be working for disney, your ideas are genius at times.
    Maybe, but 1.2 billion doesn't go as far as it used to.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Lee View Post
    I was thinking the DCA RR would have their own trains and just use a short distance of DLRR track to get to and from the roundhouse.
    It's that "getting to the roundhouse" that's the problem. It would probably be easier and cheaper to just build a new facility for DCA.

There are plans that have circulated for a DCA railraod, most often involving a "Shay" locomtive used in the logging busisness, and running around Grizzly Peak. The design is similar to this:

Shays are unique, as you can see, because they have their cylinders in the vertical position (under the cab) and drive the locomotive through a series of gears.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Why don't you put that one track mind to good use and champion this!

The roundhouse can comfortably hold four sets of cars, and five locomotives. So, two parks' worth of trains would be a stretch.
    Now's your chance for the Roundhouse Walt Never Got ! ! ! ! They're feeling nostalgic right now, Steve.

Besides, there are serious logistic issues with having the DRR trains run to DCA--not the least of which is the fact that the DRR line is probably 15 feet or so higher in elevation than DCA, making a grade in such a short distance impassible by the current DRR engines. Of course, if DCA had been built "right," with an apprpriate berm, the idea may have some merit.
    As Michael Lee says, the DCARR trains can make the grade seperation and get over to the DLRR track if need be.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Grand Circle Tour of DCA (A train idea)

It's that "getting to the roundhouse" that's the problem. It would probably be easier and cheaper to just build a new facility for DCA.

There are plans that have circulated for a DCA railraod, most often involving a "Shay" locomtive used in the logging busisness, and running around Grizzly Peak....

Shays are unique, as you can see, because they have their cylinders in the vertical position (under the cab) and drive the locomotive through a series of gears.
    Why not a series of RR cars, maybe four or five from different eras, to circle DCA. Put in Walt's Roundhouse made of brick, with public viewing a la Breadmaking/tortilla factory.

Also, I think they should build another San Francisco area, much larger and more like New Orleans Square's embiance and use the Victorian homes adjacent to Grizzly River Run (which says EUREKA MINING on the side) and make them be Eureka, California. Where Golden Dreams is, put in something like this:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast