Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Grand Circle Tour of DCA (A train idea)

/\
    That's Carson Mansion in Eureka. It would make a good facade for a Nightmare Before Christmas attraction, no?

• Second Star to the right.

Second Star to the Right and Straight on Till Morning

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    It's that "getting to the roundhouse" that's the problem. It would probably be easier and cheaper to just build a new facility for DCA.

There are plans that have circulated for a DCA railraod, most often involving a "Shay" locomtive used in the logging busisness, and running around Grizzly Peak. The design is similar to this:

Shays are unique, as you can see, because they have their cylinders in the vertical position (under the cab) and drive the locomotive through a series of gears.
    Isn't that the same engine that is used at Roaring Camp RR in Santa Cruz?
    Check out my flickr photos!

• Drunk On Disney!

I was thinking that it could cut through the GRR area.

• Cranky Dragon is Cranky

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    /\
    That's Carson Mansion in Eureka. It would make a good facade for a Nightmare Before Christmas attraction, no?
    You know, it really would!
    Current hat total: 100 of 100 - completed!

Duckland
    : Stroll through downtown Duckburg, making sure to tour Scrooge's Money Bin, then cross the Audubon Bay Bridge to St. Canard. Visit Liquidator's Splash Pool, and don't forget a stop by Bushroot Gardens!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Lee View Post
    Isn't that the same engine that is used at Roaring Camp RR in Santa Cruz?
    Roaring Camp utilizes the same kind of engine, only much larger--a three-cylinder Shay known as the "Dixiana."

There is a Disney connection to Roaring Camp, however. The man who rebuilt the Ward Kimball, and is currently rebuilding the Fred Gurley, was an engineer and the Roundhouse Foreman at Roaring Camp!

That'd be great if they could pull it off.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mtsplash View Post
    I was thinking that it could cut through the GRR area.
    Why can't Disney buy out the 7 Eleven at the corner of the Timon Lot????

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

/\
    I hope this is considered for Phase II.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    /\
    I hope this is considered for Phase II.
    Boy, not me. Without a berm to isolate the views, far too much of "beautiful downtown Anaheim" will be visible. And while there are at least two railfan imagineers that I'm aware of (Lasseter and Ray Spencer, art director on the Ward Kimball project), I've yet to hear about any all-encompassing railroad in the works. There are other, more thematically cohesive plans for a smaller railroad, but to my knowledge, these plans have not elicited much interest or response.

• U. B. Bold

While I agree that DCA needs a railroad, I think that shoehorning a Grand Circle Tour into the current park layout would be impractical to say the least. This type of major infrastructure needs to be planned and built in from the beginning. In other words, $1.2 billion is not enough.

What I hope to see in Phase II is the Logging themed, Nature's Wonderland type miniature RR that has been discussed. It would be so cool see a couple of narrow gauge shays winding their way through the Grizzly Peak area.

IMO steam engines also seem to 'scale down' much more believably than more modern diesel engines do. Miniature steam engines are cute while miniature diesels just look fake.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory_510 View Post
    I think this just might work. The main station would go where the current entrance plaza is now, there is enough back stage area to accommodate a train track behind Hollywood back lots. Once the Timon lot comes out there is no need for the road to access it so the tracks could run where the road is now. The first stop would be behind the Tower of Terror and a great addition to that area. The second stop would be at the end of the current Timon lot and the future Carsland. The third stop would be after CA Screamin' and themed with the rest of Paradise Pier. The next stretch of track is the tricky part, the GCH is really close to the park here so I thought it might work to incorporate a raised bridge here. I've put together a little illustration ..... what do you think?

The basic concept is interesting and unique. But it's just totally unfeasible for DCA. The implementation would have had to be done in the early stages of park design, especially if the park has such limited space as DCA.

The amount of space that would be required for right of way, crossings, maintenance, storage and all the other infrastructure needed to support it would require a great swath of land be removed from other park amenities.

Your drawing has almost all of the backstage access and the Harbor Entrance bypass taken up by the route. There is also no maintenance and storage facilities for the trains shown that would require a large area.

A similar concept in WDW would be effective. It’s theme wouldn’t necessarily need to be based on California, but it could still work there.

Beyond the overall right of way, there would have to be some sort of themed environment for people to see while riding the train. Looking at Katella, Harbor, Disney Way and all the backstage buildings around the park is not a viable show experience.

So, maybe as a future WDW concept it would be worthwhile, but just not at DCA.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Boy, not me. Without a berm to isolate the views, far too much of "beautiful downtown Anaheim" will be visible....
    Who said they can't/won't/shouldn't build a berm? As you can see in the maps above, if the monorail changes its route, the former right of way there along the north edge of the park can be an elevated RR trestle; if the Timon Tram is no longer in service, there's a corridor around the park to the Timon area; and if the Timon Lot is out, you don't need the autobahn around the back of the park for visitor's cars. Plenty of room for a berm, except where it enters the park around Pizza Whatever PowWow until it gets to the area around Soarin, and here it could be trestled like it is in Critter Country at DL.

All I ask is 5 years from now when you write in the acknowledgements in your book about the Walt Disney Railroad at Walt Disney's California, you admit that you were initially opposed to the idea when it was conceived.

You know if they build it you'll write a book about it Steve. Keep your options open at least
    Last edited by CaliforniaAdventurer; 10-27-2007 at 05:09 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I know Walt Disney arrived in California on the Santa Fe RR, but was it this train:

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

It would be so cool if the DCA RR passed through a tunnel with windows into the riders driving through Carsland for the folks who would enjoy the show scenes going on inside the building but might not be up for the 'high thrill' element of it (which can be viewed from the exterior of Carsland.) That way little kids and elderly can see for themselves what they're missing! Wouldn't that be better than wondering what's in that cool ride but being too many inches too small?

Another win-win for the DCA RR.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    ^I really like that, Greg! But... there's a couple problematic spots (IMHO) that exist... so I made my own layout, taking cues from you, but refining it a little bit.

(I know the stations aren't all the same size in my photo, but, you get the idea... Also, the two large green areas next to the Hollywood Station and the PP Station are new walkways to allow guest access to the on-stage areas. Or, we could let them roam around backstage. Ooh! I like that idea!! )

So, here for your viewing pleasure (or disgust), are my thoughts on the matter:

And yes, I did piece this together from Google Earth. I wanted a higher quality image to work with, so, that's what I did. Also, my thoughts are that there should also be a Monorail station included at the new DCA transit center. Sure, the Monorail doesn't exactly fit the theme with 1930's Hollywood, but it will be passing through there anyways, and we could use a Monorail stop there. Think how handy that would be to go to DCA. Instead of having to drudge through the crowds, exit the park, cross the esplanade, and wait in line to get into the other park, you'd just go to Tomorrowland and hop on the Monorail.

Anyways, those are my thoughts (in brief). What do you think?

Unfortunately, much of the space you indicate is unavailable for any expansion:

Most of the grayed out area is currently the minimum needed for backstage access (already extremely limited), parade float storage, property not available to Disney, etc. The green area is currently needed for backstage access but may be flexible enough to be incorporated into new designs. Also, as I mentioned before, any train addition would have to include space to incorporate something for the visitors to SEE (other than tacky backstage and Katella/Harbor/Disney Way) while they are on the train.

They COULD run the Monorail through the park and add an exciting dynamic to the park with minimal infrastructure impact, but a train would be almost impossible to do economically.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast