• "I Break Things"

Something Old, Something New, Something Enhanced.

To the Mice Chat Moderators: considering the amount of Challenges that are posted on here I was wondering if it would be possible to have a Challenge tag (Type)? I do not know what all would be involved in implementing that or if it is possible but I know a lot on here who love to Armchair Imagineer.

My simple Challenge to the ACIoMC.
    "Arm Chair Imagineers of Mice Chat"

#1 Pick a land in Disneyland and bring back an old favorite with a new twist. In this case the ride itself returns, but something is different.

#2 Pick another land in Disneyland, or the same one if you wish, and given the current space design something COMPLETELY new and original. It's fine if you compare it to current attractions, but this is a completely new attraction. Good luck

#3 Pick a current Attraction and enhance it.

Please nothing from other parks, in all cases I am interested in original concepts and ideas. It's fine to re-pitch if you have posted previously. This is also a time to polish old posts and enhance them as you see fit.
    Last edited by techskip; 08-31-2007 at 08:07 PM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• "I Break Things"

Re: Something Old, Something New, Something Enhanced.

Might as well Start.

Classic- Bring back the Mine Train. Loop it on the side of Thunder Trail and have it for little kids. You could also bring back a great deal of the old animation, Cascade Peak, and have the entrance for the "new" Mine Train near the entrance for Thunder Ranch. It would be a great deal smaller but you could also layer it in much the same way Casey is layered to allow for another E Ticket if you want like Geyser Mountain (backside of Cascade).

New- Use the PM tracks for this one. Call it "Stitch's Glitch". The ride vehicles would be similar to the experiment containers from the movie. The basic story is the name itself, something is wrong with Stitch and they are trying to catch him. You would follow the same track layout (through Star Tours, Buzz etc), and watch as Stitch went nuts trying to destroy every other attraction. You would see things like him tearing down walls, holding a sparking power cord, just general mayhem and destruction. The sides of the main strip would be partially enclosed with clear glass and have the same effect as Alice... stitch running around going nuts. Personally I think it would be comical. I know a lot of people would argue that Stitch landed in the present... but he is a futuristic alien character from another planet... I think that qualifies.

Enhance- I hate the spot where Jungle's boat meets Indy's exit. I know they have planted a bunch of bamboo and bushes but I feel it is just dead space and the Skipper doesn't have much to show off. Bob is now way up on a hill. Here's the plan. Place 2 or 3 more ruined archways leading up to the sunken city. On the outside facing Indy you would have the cobras.. so it would match and enhance that theme as well. Carve niches into the berm on Jungle's left and put broken stairs, fallen pillars, and most important Bob at eye level. Make it look as if these ruins suffered a massive land slide during the earthquake, things half buried and displaced. This would also provide a place for more crocs, cobras, and realistic spiders. You could also extend the rainforest slightly and add more life to that as well (monkeys, parrots, smaller snakes, move the toucans back... list keeps going. INSTEAD of being a rainforest... massive gap... ancient ruins, it would be dense rainforest WOW look at this we found a lost city! Everything would be blended like it is in real life.

Hopefully I haven't posted too much of a challenge. Most individuals seem to specialize in one given area (New, Old, Enhance) so I wanted to see what would come of all 3!

• Minion

#1 Pick a land in Disneyland and bring back an old favorite with a new twist. In this case the ride itself returns, but something is different.

Adventure Thru Inner Space: Tomorrowland

In this enhanced version, we are scientists hunting down a deadly subatomic virus and shrink down to size, but this time in a Spider-Man worthy three dimesional psychedelic environment, with both projections and sets and real effects. This time we are armed with interactive lasers so we can shoot at the predatory virus and other threats while continuing to shrink...

--

#2 Pick another land in Disneyland, or the same one if you wish, and given the current space design something COMPLETELY new and original. It's fine if you compare it to current attractions, but this is a completely new attraction. Good luck

Maleficent's Curse: Fantasyland

The climax to "Sleeping Beauty" provides the ultimate Fantasyland E-Ticket experience by plunging us directly into the animated Eyvind Earle environment via 3D projection, animatronics and movement. Starting in Maleficent's castle in the Forbidden Mountains, the ride begins as we join Flora, Fauna and Merriweather to rescue Phillip from the dungeon after Maleficent has delivered her taunting soliloguy. We escape on a thrilling chase from Maleficent's Goons, avoiding their arrows and boiling oil, only to be confronted by a flaming forest of thorns and Maleficent's transformation into a flame-spewing dragon. On her defeat we approach Stefan's castle to awaken the sleeping princess. This would be an elaborate Disney film ride for all ages.

Cinderella Dark Ride: Fantasyland

This dark ride differs from all the others as we are tranformed to mouse size by the Fairy Godmother to help Jaq and Gus get the key from Stepmother and take it to the attic to release Cinderella. Giant props, nooks and crannies and an imposing staircase provide a thrilling tiny sized point-of-view adventure - - watch out for Lucifer the cat - - and possible drops from the attic heights! We succeed in time for Cinderella to fit the slipper as we return to human size.

--

#3 Pick a current Attraction and enhance it.

Swiss Family Treehouse: Adventureland

Return The Swiss Family Treehouse, but this time fully rigged to defend against pirates, and complete with fully Audio-Animatronic animals as seen in the film; a tiger pit, baby elephant, zebra, monkeys, python, etc. In fact, there may be some pirates on the horizon... will the interactive pirate alarms, traps and coconut bombs help turn them back?

Jolly Holiday Gardens: Main Street USA

Carnation Plaza Gardens is transformed into the Jolly Holiday Tea Garden from "Mary Poppins." The bandstand remains and the tables and chairs - - but we add willow trees, grassy knolls, the four-horse merry-go-round (as a character picture spot), the Penguin-operated tea/coffee/dessert stand, a pearly band and real pavement chalk artists along the winding walkways. The perfect segue between Main Street and Fantasyland.

--

Bonus ideas:

The Nautilus: Fantasyland/Tomorrowland border

Fully board and explore Captain Nemo's wondrous ship, but this time his parlor is a lush and elaborate cocktail lounge with live pipe organ music and seafood appetizers.

Belle's Bookshop: Fantasyland

There is no longer a great book store at Disneyland - and this would give Belle her due too. Storybooks, classics, art books, international editions, special editions and unique publications.

Tony's Restaurante: Main Street USA

"Tony's" from "Lady and the Tramp" moves into the Plaza Pavillion, made over into a traditional 20th century cozy checked cloth and wine-bottle candle style Italian Restaurant, complete with singing/accordian playing waiters. Peek into the alley to see an animatronic Lady and Tramp enjoy their own spaghetti dinner.
    Last edited by merlinjones; 09-01-2007 at 09:27 AM.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

For the first....bring back, of all things, the flying saucers with new upgraded technology...but the twist would be don't just make it a outdoors ride, enclose it and have some way of actually guiding the hover vehicles a little....i'm thinking a wide passageway, with the floor having the air vents, like the small world size boat track but without water, air instead...and have inside blacklight space travel scenes..planets, then galaxies, partially painted and things nearby sculpted and 3-D. Flying saucers, so you actually go and see space...add some fantasy stuff towards the end, maybe other ships that have some animation and AA alien pilots that you pass by. The trouble would be getting a system for the saucers to move forward on their own, but perhaps have the same name and theme and vehicle size but different propulsion system.

Entirely new ride would be for Frontierland, using the free Big Thunder Trail/Bear Valley pond/closed barbacue place/corporate events center and Hunchback theater. As I had suggested elsewhere, a eerie dark ride similar in theme only to big thunder...a additional part of abandoned mine shafts, you board small maybe 4 person vehicles for a slow ride through the caverns, abandoned equipment, strange noises, dripping water and earth rumbling..the miners evacuated after the mine collapsed in earthquake, some never made it out...have some animals in there, appropriate ones...wolves or coyotes, and some ghostly/spirit stuff...like tappings at the walls, a scene with projection miners appearing, still working at the mine walls...the climax being heading into a darker cavern and the place starting to shake, the lamps going out or falling off the walls, before being helped out by the spirits of the trapped miners...one or two appearing and motioning to the exit, then vanishing...a sound behind, and the car speeds as up as if they are pushing you out of the mine..then a short trip through the rockwork back to the load. A little more scary perhaps and intense in subject matter but I'd like to see it.

For enhancing a existing ride...I'm all for tweaking the Haunted Mansion more....but I'd add throughout the ride more unusual artifacts, more of the early designed stuff associated with the Museum of the Weird...the man-eating plants, pieces of sculpture and things in the ride actually being AA as well and moving to watch you, not just the busts and such in the waiting area....having faces in paintings actually press forward, or have robotic statues that turn and watch you in the less character based parts...add some in the hallway/door corridor, and the attic. At the end, optimally, the walk through exhibit area always seemed like a good idea to me..put that in with some of the more humorous ghostly items, could be a mini-version of the Adventurer's Club style show with a ghost theme...a live actor or two, and spirit effects and voices with all these strange artifacts.

Those are just my ideas *nod*

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    Belle's Bookshop: Fantasyland

There is no longer a great book store at Disneyland - and this would give Belle her due too. Storybooks, classics, art books, international editions, special editions and unique publications.
    Please do not be insulted, I loved everything but I especially loved this idea. You're right... Disneyland does lack a bookstore and this would be the perfect way to theme one.

Quote Originally Posted by darkfairycthulu View Post
    For enhancing a existing ride...I'm all for tweaking the Haunted Mansion more....but I'd add throughout the ride more unusual artifacts, more of the early designed stuff associated with the Museum of the Weird...the man-eating plants, pieces of sculpture and things in the ride actually being AA as well and moving to watch you, not just the busts and such in the waiting area....having faces in paintings actually press forward, or have robotic statues that turn and watch you in the less character based parts...add some in the hallway/door corridor, and the attic. At the end, optimally, the walk through exhibit area always seemed like a good idea to me..put that in with some of the more humorous ghostly items, could be a mini-version of the Adventurer's Club style show with a ghost theme...a live actor or two, and spirit effects and voices with all these strange artifacts.
    I for some reason had a mental image of bringing the various statues in the "pet cemetary" portion of the queue to life and scaring the crap out of people... also making the ones on the hill sway back and forth and have a bang/cracking/dust effect in the mausoleum graves!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post

I for some reason had a mental image of bringing the various statues in the "pet cemetary" portion of the queue to life and scaring the crap out of people... also making the ones on the hill sway back and forth and have a bang/cracking/dust effect in the mausoleum graves!
    Those would indeed be great additions too yes, I like the moving Leota tombstone at WDW...at the very least they should add her and make the others move and animate also

• I'm not really here

Bring back Adventures through Innerspace. Here's the twist: it's now a full motion 6-degrees of freedom simulator inside a domed television and is capable of not only shrinking you, but traveling at fantastic speeds to the furthest reaches of space and time. It can take you to the fiery sulfur volcanoes of Jupiter's moon Io, or try to outrun the shockwave from a supernova. It can be attacked by the bodies immune system or anything else that could be dreamed up. It would involve not only the ride video (wrapping a full 360 degrees around and above you) but also lasers and spark generation as well as fog on top of high-g rotations, tilts, slides and drops. Of course something would go wrong... but the twist here is that there would be multiple possible problems on each of the possible destinations (each of the occurring at different points in the story). Add to this multiple possible resolutions to each of the problems and you have a branching storyline that makes for a lot of re-rideablility. Adding new destinations and problems to the cycle wouldn't be that difficult either. Use the queue area educationally by having mock particle accelerators, a planetarium, genetics lab, etc. that you walk through to get to the simulators "test bay" (where it is being built). Still working on story details etc on this one.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter