Flying Dutchman Sail

We ate at the Blue Bayou for the first time a couple weeks ago for our anniversary. We ordered the cookie boat based on the reviews that I read here. It was wonderful by the way. Well, my wife wanted to save the mast and sail. Somehow, we managed to get it home on the flight in one piece. My question is have you ever saved this and how long does it last? Also, what have you done with it? We bought a bar glass from the frontier shop and were thinking about propping it up in there, but seeing as it is edible, will it start to grow?

Thanx for your input!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: Flying Dutchman Sail

Quote Originally Posted by chiefyouth View Post
    We ate at the Blue Bayou for the first time a couple weeks ago for our anniversary. We ordered the cookie boat based on the reviews that I read here. It was wonderful by the way. Well, my wife wanted to save the mast and sail. Somehow, we managed to get it home on the flight in one piece. My question is have you ever saved this and how long does it last? Also, what have you done with it? We bought a bar glass from the frontier shop and were thinking about propping it up in there, but seeing as it is edible, will it start to grow?

Thanx for your input!
    I have had the cookie boat, it is truly awesome, but no clue as to the longevity of the "edible" sail..as we actually tried to eat it and were very disheartened by the attempt lol. Hopefully someone else about here will know...
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Pirate love

Last Summer my friend and I were there and I had the Tortuga Trio of Creme Brulee, it came with a 'eddible' Dead Mans Chest... I still have it. It still looks good despite the light knocking it took on the car ride home.
    Of course our server gave me a clear plastic to-go box for it.
    The worst that could happen is it could melt, but if kept dry I'm guessing it could last a long time.

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

I think the sail is made from some sort of almond paste or flour.. I think it should last for a bit.. it'll probably dry out and crack after a while. Take pictures!!

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

I've had my dutchman sail since January, just propped up in the curio cabinet. When our server at BB heard me say I was going to save it for my kids to try, and told me we wouldn't want to eat it. I showed him where it was stamped "edible" and he responded with "yeah, and so is tree bark (edible), but you wouldn't want to eat it". It has held up just fine, but the analogy made it worth keeping it!

• Pirate love

Quote Originally Posted by disneybanks View Post
    I've had my dutchman sail since January, just propped up in the curio cabinet. When our server at BB heard me say I was going to save it for my kids to try, and told me we wouldn't want to eat it. I showed him where it was stamped "edible" and he responded with "yeah, and so is tree bark (edible), but you wouldn't want to eat it". It has held up just fine, but the analogy made it worth keeping it!
    I was told something similar before I was handed the to-go box.

• Miss Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardpineaple View Post
    Last Summer my friend and I were there and I had the Tortuga Trio of Creme Brulee, it came with a 'eddible' Dead Mans Chest... I still have it. It still looks good despite the light knocking it took on the car ride home.
    Of course our server gave me a clear plastic to-go box for it.
    The worst that could happen is it could melt, but if kept dry I'm guessing it could last a long time.
    I have my Dead Man's Chest too!

I've had it for about 9 months in the fridge. I can assure you that the fridge has kept it just fine.

Out of the fridge....I have no clue.
    "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? " - Alice

"If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?" - Jack Pumpkinhead
    "It happens to people all the time, Jack." - Dorothy

"It seems the words on my mug are right: 'It is hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys.'" - Sam the Eagle

• Pirate love

Mine is on a shelf in my room...out of the fridge for over 12 months and still going strong!

Thank you all for the feedback! I was concerned that if I left it out too long, it was going to start looking like something Davy Jones himself would have used. ICK! Now I just have to figure out where to put it.

• Geoff London

Quote Originally Posted by Missviolet View Post
    I think the sail is made from some sort of almond paste or flour.. I think it should last for a bit.. it'll probably dry out and crack after a while. Take pictures!!
    Is it possibly made of rice paper? Edible and delicate but should keep fairly well if not jostled too much. The biggest problem for anything will be damp or mould. Bread products can be dried and then varnished to protect them. Chocolate items will develop a grey/yellowish bloom in time due to the cocoa butter content in it.

We had special M&Ms done for our partnership ceremony (with messages on them). The sugar coating should keep for quite some time if they stay dry.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

I got a Dead Man's Chest in March this year. It kept perfectly fine on the flight back to New York. I now use it as a jewelry box for the Rings of my Jack Sparrow costume. Never refrigerated it or anything. It sits on my dresser, right in front of the window, and nothing has happened to it yet . . .

. . . I think it should be safe.
    www.BrandonHardy-Art.com

https://www.facebook.com/Brandon.Hardy.Art

"The show's called Pirates of the Caribbean, not Boy Scouts of the Caribbean. They're my babies, you know? I hate to see them fool around with 'em."
    -X. Atencio

"Whether I like it or not doesn't matter. Each new generation has the right to come in and do what they feel is right for the show -- and that's what they did."
    ~Alice Davis