Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• is too darn hot.

Re: Who Else Here wants the Blue Bayou scene unchanged in POTC?

Quote Originally Posted by TiaDalmaFan View Post
    The bayou exists in the 19th century according to what?

Let me get this straight - you leave the 21st Century when you enter the building, you enter the 19th Century when you get on the boat, and then you enter the 18th Century when you go down the waterfall?

I'm not buying it.

Cut out the middle man. You enter the building, you're in the 18th Century.

Pirate CMs? Dressed like 18th Century sailors. Always have been.

Tia Dalma in her bayou shack is not anachronistic. There's no calendar on the wall.
    You leave the 21 century when you get to New Orleans. You leave it further entering the ride building. Look at the set pieces around you in there. Regardless of the costuming of the CMs, look at the boats, the shacks, etc. It all screams 1856. When you go down the waterfall you go back in time (so says Walt, btw). Putting Tia Dalma chips away at the integrity of the ride. I would not object to having Tia Dalma somewhere in the ride, but I don't think the bayou is the right place.

Good God. I'm arguing like PragmaticIdealist.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Tia Dalma doesn't belong in the Bayou scene. If she were to be placed in the attraction, whe would have to be added after the waterfalls, after we've been taken back in time. Otherwise, she'd be quite the anachronism.
    **** theme! This is a theme park!

Why is it okay to have Jack Sparrow, Davy Jones, and Barbossa, but not Tia Dalma in a bayou shack?
    Because the inspiration of the bayou exists outside where Tia Dalma exists. if she was placed after or before the waterfalls, she would fit as much as the rest of the bunch.

The bayou exists in the 19th century according to what?

Let me get this straight - you leave the 21st Century when you enter the building, you enter the 19th Century when you get on the boat, and then you enter the 18th Century when you go down the waterfall?

I'm not buying it.

Cut out the middle man. You enter the building, you're in the 18th Century.

Pirate CMs? Dressed like 18th Century sailors. Always have been.

Tia Dalma in her bayou shack is not anachronistic. There's no calendar on the wall.
    The time frame, and time travel, exists according to the designers. This made quite clear in the television special. Espcially when Walt says that we will go down a water fall and back in time.

• The Happiest Cynic

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    You leave the 21 century when you get to New Orleans. You leave it further entering the ride building. Look at the set pieces around you in there. Regardless of the costuming of the CMs, look at the boats, the shacks, etc. It all screams 1856. When you go down the waterfall you go back in time (so says Walt, btw). Putting Tia Dalma chips away at the integrity of the ride. I would not object to having Tia Dalma somewhere in the ride, but I don't think the bayou is the right place.

To be fair you're arguing with someone who chose the username "TiaDalmaFan". He may be a little biased.

I'm not completely opposed to Tia Dalma being included in the ride - obviously as the films cement their place as one of the most successful and beloved film trilogies of our time, we're going to see more and more elements from the films included in the ride.

On the other hand, that initial part of the ride - if it isn't a Louisiana bayou, what is it? The only pirate connection I can think of is the whole New Orleans thing, but someone just said it's not supposed to be a Louisiana bayou, which means it makes no sense in connection to anything at all. Aside from setting a peaceful backdrop for the Blue Bayou, what does that area have to do with the rest of the ride? Adding Tia Dalma might make the whole thing more cohesive.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheSwami View Post
    but someone just said it's not supposed to be a Louisiana bayou
    That comment seems to be in regards to the bayou in the films, not the one featured in the attraction.

• The Happiest Cynic

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    That comment seems to be in regards to the bayou in the films, not the one featured in the attraction.

Oh, whoops.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post

Well, since Tia Dalma is Calypso, the Goddess of the Sea, and never dies, she's not anachronistic (unless the seas dried up in the 18th Century and nobody told me). She's in our time, or whatever time the bayou's in. The waterfall's the gateway to world's end and a time trip to the 18th Century.

See, with enough imagination you can explain anything.

• Banned User

To be fair you're arguing with someone who chose the username "TiaDalmaFan". He may be a little biased.
    Ya think!

I'm not completely opposed to Tia Dalma being included in the ride - obviously as the films cement their place as one of the most successful and beloved film trilogies of our time, we're going to see more and more elements from the films included in the ride.

On the other hand, that initial part of the ride - if it isn't a Louisiana bayou, what is it? The only pirate connection I can think of is the whole New Orleans thing, but someone just said it's not supposed to be a Louisiana bayou, which means it makes no sense in connection to anything at all. Aside from setting a peaceful backdrop for the Blue Bayou, what does that area have to do with the rest of the ride? Adding Tia Dalma might make the whole thing more cohesive.
    It could be argued that it used to be a Louisiana bayou that led to a netherworldly portal to the 18th Century Caribbean, but, now, the Blue Bayou exists in the 18th Century Caribbean, as does the rest of the entire building. Enter the building - go back in time.

Just because Walt said that the waterfall was where we went back in time in the ride before doesn't mean the story couldn't be rewritten. Several attractions had their stories rewritten over the years. Walt knew this would happen, and he was fine with it, remember?

• Minion

The current Blue Bayou scene adds to the realism of the ride, what I love about NOS and it's two attractions: POTC and the HM is how believable they are. I love Disneyland because it is so full of fantasy, yet it feels like you really are in the worlds represented in the park. I would perfer that POTC gets rid of all movie realted changes, and instead let there be a new POTC themed thrill ride build either in DL or DCA.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    The current Blue Bayou scene adds to the realisticness of the ride, what I love about NOS and it's two attractions: POTC and the HM is how believable they are. I love Disneyland because it is so full of fantasy, yet it feels like you really are in the worlds represented in the park. I would perfer that POTC gets rid of all movie realted changes, and instead let there be a new POTC themed thrill ride build either in DL or DCA.
    The word is realism, but the ride's story is fantasy. Expecting fantasy to reflect realism is, honestly, unrealistic.

You honestly think restaurants didn't exist in the 18th Century?

• Minion

The word is realism, but the ride's story is fantasy. Expecting fantasy to reflect realism is, honestly, unrealistic.

You honestly think restaurants didn't exist in the 18th Century?
    Fantasy should feel real. Anyway, what did I ever say about restraunts in the 18th century?

• Senior Minion

i think it fits in perfectly
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I would like to see her more by the resturant, but not where the old man is. That scene is so peaceful . I love how you can just hear the crickets chirping and the banjo playing .

But other than that, I don't want her to be in that scene.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Well, since Tia Dalma is Calypso, the Goddess of the Sea, and never dies, she's not anachronistic (unless the seas dried up in the 18th Century and nobody told me). She's in our time, or whatever time the bayou's in. The waterfall's the gateway to world's end and a time trip to the 18th Century.

See, with enough imagination you can explain anything.
    If so, then how can we explain why this pirate became sober? I don't get it! First he was a drunkard holding a nude woman hostage in a barrel, then towards the late 90's, he sobered up and became more obsessed with food, and then next thing we know, he's got something going on with Johnny Depp! I mean, what's up with this guy? How can you explain that???

• Banned User

Fantasy should feel real.
    I'd think fantasy would feel fantastical.

Anyway, what did I ever say about restraunts in the 18th century?
    Nothing, really. I just don't get what it is about the interior of the building, specifically Lafitte's Landing, the Blue Bayou restaurant, and/or the swamp, that would necessarily indicate that it's supposed to be in either the 19th century or the 21st century, rather than the 18th.

By the way, I notice how nobody's celebrated the fact that the pirates will once again be chasing the women and not their food. After all the years of moaning and groaning about the so-called "PC" changes, they're changing it back to its original state, and yet everyone's focused on the fact that Tia Dalma's replacing a old nameless character who did nothing more than sit on a porch.

• =)

I'm very insistent that Tia Dalma does not replace the old man or make any other appearance. Just last month, I got to ride the "new" POTC for the first time with my brother. He'd been before, and was very unenthusiastic about the changes. As we floated through the bayou, past the old man and his cabin, I said, "See? At least this part of the ride hasn't been changed. It's exactly the way it should be."

It's one thing to create a movie spin-off of a great ride, including tip-of-the-hat allusions to the ride to make fanboyh like me twitter. It's an entirely different thing to change the original inspiration to be "inspired by" the film that it originally inspired. I tolerate all the current changes except the removal of the original captain, but removing the old man and giving Tia Dalma a presence in the bayou would be ridiculous. IMO, when you've got a classic that's this successful, any change to it should add to the experience, not remove key sections and replace them with something more relevant to pop culture.

Tia Dalma's home was originally a reference to the cabins in the Blue Bayou area of the ride. Why should those cabins be replaced with references to said cabins? It's preposterous. It's marketing.

EDIT:

First he was a drunkard holding a nude woman hostage in a barrel
    Well, technically he was looking for her. That "bewitching maiden" took off when he tried to "hoist his colors" on her. She just happened to be hiding behind him for the guests' sake.

everyone's focused on the fact that Tia Dalma's replacing a old nameless character who did nothing more than sit on a porch.
    Namelessness is a state currently occupied by most characters on that ride. It doesn't detract from their significance. This old man contributes to the peaceful feel of the area. He really seems like an old local sitting on his porch, watching the boats go by. Moreover, people who've ridden before develop sentimental attachments to him. Presumably, Tia Dalma would do little more--she'd look out at the guests in a way that's supposed to be seductive, but comes off more as creepy. How would this be an improvement? The only thing it would accomplish would be to excite people who are bigger fans of the movies than of the ride.

One change I wouldn't mind at all would be an upgrade to the old man animatronic. Give him a banjo, animate his arms so they move appropriately, and then use video projections to animate his hands and the strings. The only thing currently wrong with the scene, after all, is the confusion caused by the unseen banjo player. Perhaps the old man has a "shy little wench" of his own hidden away in his cabin? Or...er, maybe it's a man. I couldn't really say.
    Last edited by Datameister; 09-02-2007 at 07:52 PM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast