Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Question People Mover track rumors - Any truth to this?

I was reading some of the information in the Rocket Rods thread that mentioned something being put back on the PM tracks. I have heard that the section of PM track that goes through the BLAB area was removed during construction of Buzz.

Any truth?
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    Owner/Travel Advisor - Magical Partners Travel
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member

Re: Any truth to this?

Anyone?

I guess if they have torn out part of the track that would but a kink in plans to re-use it...
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    Owner/Travel Advisor - Magical Partners Travel
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member

• is too darn hot.

The track is still there. It's integral to the structure of the building. (btw, patience is a virtue. 20 minutes is not long to wait for a reply.)
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Eeyore smiling

If DL wants to put the PM back together, I honestly don't think anything would stop them. It is not like they have a budget issue!

It's the queue and track clearance issue. Renovations would cost big time bucks.
    "The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

• Minion

well somethings going back up there so even if they messed with the track there going to have to fix it

Re: People Mover track rumors - Any truth to this?

lol...this is a thread highlighted in the micechat roundup? Really? lol!

• missing the DisneyGallery

I though there were some safety issues with the size of the tunnels that the cars move through and the abilty for guests to get their hands mangled by touching the sides of the tunnels (not sure why I'm calling them tunnels), thus making it so that (by todays building standards) the areas would have to be widened and many Tomorrowland attractions would have to be shut down at once.

Does anyone remember these findings?

When attractions were original

• Eeyore smiling

Quote Originally Posted by SciFi96 View Post
    I though there were some safety issues with the size of the tunnels that the cars move through and the abilty for guests to get their hands mangled by touching the sides of the tunnels (not sure why I'm calling them tunnels), thus making it so that (by todays building standards) the areas would have to be widened and many Tomorrowland attractions would have to be shut down at once.

Does anyone remember these findings?
    I hope I am not dense here, but wouldn't making the cars enclosed take care of that issue and be much cheaper then altering the structure they ride through? Heck they could make them open still, but just strap a person in, have people sitting single row, lots of workarounds, which would prevent them from getting their arms out too far?
    How were the tracks altered for Rocket Rods?

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Kath2188 View Post
    I hope I am not dense here, but wouldn't making the cars enclosed take care of that issue
    Enclosing the cars would require adding some kind of cooling/AC/ventilation system to keep them from overheating in the outside sections of track.

The brilliance of the old PeoepleMover cars was in the fact that they were just fiberglass shells. All the technology was included in the track.

The more technology you add to the vehicle itself, the more expensive the cars become. That means you can afford less cars and on a track as long as the Peoplemover's track, that means a big dip in capacity.

If they wanted to bring back a ride that had the same level of capacity and the same experience as the PeopleMover they would have to build something close to 60 trains. Air Conditioning is simply not practical for that number of vehicles.

Of course with fewer vehicles they could speed up the ride time. But then you're stuck with Rocket Rods 2.0.

The options here are very limited.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Smile Re: People Mover track rumors - Any truth to this?

I hope I am not dense here, but wouldn't making the cars enclosed take care of that issue and be much cheaper then altering the structure they ride through? Heck they could make them open still, but just strap a person in, have people sitting single row, lots of workarounds, which would prevent them from getting their arms out too far?
    Damn you beat me to it. I guess it was too obvious.

I heard all this too--although I can't remember if it was in an article by Al or Jim.

The thinking at the time (and still could be--what do I know?) was to use those enclosed pods from Syndrome's hideout and theme the ride to the Incredibles. Sounds like a pretty snazzy idea to me, although I would miss the fresh air.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Enclosing the cars would require adding some kind of cooling/AC/ventilation system to keep them from overheating in the outside sections of track.

The brilliance of the old PeoepleMover cars was in the fact that they were just fiberglass shells. All the technology was included in the track.

The more technology you add to the vehicle itself, the more expensive the cars become. That means you can afford less cars and on a track as long as the Peoplemover's track, that means a big dip in capacity.

If they wanted to bring back a ride that had the same level of capacity and the same experience as the PeopleMover they would have to build something close to 60 trains. Air Conditioning is simply not practical for that number of vehicles.

Of course with fewer vehicles they could speed up the ride time. But then you're stuck with Rocket Rods 2.0.

The options here are very limited.
    The Rocket Rods weren't enclosed and didn't need air conditioning. On the other hand, how about a sunroof you couldn't reach your head or arms through. I'm sure if they put a man on the moon they can put people on a mover.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sgtdilbert View Post
    lol...this is a thread highlighted in the micechat roundup? Really? lol!
    Some editor obviously has a PeopleMover fetish.

• Stop That!

Heck they could make them open still, but just strap a person in, have people sitting single row, lots of workarounds, which would prevent them from getting their arms out too far?
    I'd recommend straightjackets. King's Island uses them on their PeopleMover, and it works out just fine.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast