• A Suitcase & A Dream

Something kind of sad

I was looking at some pics from the 50th and realized when DCA has it's 50th it's only going have three attractions from opening day that can have Golden Vehicles: California Screamin', Soarin' Over California, and Grizzly River Run. That's only if those attractions are still there 44 years from now.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Re: Something kind of sad

King Triton's Caroussel isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so there's another one, the Golden Zephyr may survive the updates (plus it would actually make one of them "Golden").

There weren't a whole lot of attractions with ride vehicles when the park opened to begin with.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

Will DCA survive to see its 50th? Sure, there may be a park in that old parking lot, but I doubt it will be DCA.

• Adventurer Slash Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by Tweedle Dumb View Post
    Will DCA survive to see its 50th? Sure, there may be a park in that old parking lot, but I doubt it will be DCA.
    Why would they tear down everything to build a new theme park? They should leave it and change it around to make it better. which is probably what they'll do.

What about... Those other kiddie rides?

• Lowering Expectations

Personally, I think there is enough "gold" in DCA as it is, if only in names. What with the Golden State, Golden Dreams, Golden Zephyr, Golden Vine Winery...

...and that's assuming that the park lasts that long.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• "I Break Things"

I have no doubt that DCA will be there in some form. However considering the lack of thought on behalf of it's creators I'm not sure what, if any of it, will be original or even remotely resemble it's current self after 50 years.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Minion

i dont think they would do the same kind of golden celebration but i guess we will see what happens to WDWs first and then paris and whatnot

• For old time sake

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    Personally, I think there is enough "gold" in DCA as it is, if only in names. What with the Golden State, Golden Dreams, Golden Zephyr, Golden Vine Winery...

It makes sense since CA IS the Golden state.

DCA will still be around. Heck MGM Studios is around, and I think that park is a dump compared to DCA
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by codelyokorox View Post
    Why would they tear down everything to build a new theme park? They should leave it and change it around to make it better. which is probably what they'll do.

What about... Those other kiddie rides?
    I think what was meant was not so much that they'd tear down the whole park and start over, but there will be so many new rides and things that it will be a different park.
    They've even talked about changing the name.

I do kinda think that is strang to think about... then again, DCA only opened with like 10 attractions (okkay not that few but you know what I mean)

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

A billion dollars is a LOT of money, regardless of how big your corporation is. After spending that much, there is no way they will simply let it rot over the next 44 years.

Personally, I think DCA is everything that Disneyland is not, and I know that is a backhanded compliment but it holds true. Where Disneyland has to remain static in many respects - you couldn't get ride of the "Lands" concept, and there are certain rides that would cause a small riot if you tried to remove them - the beauty of a park like DCA is that it remains fluid and fresh. Because it doesn't have the burden of history, and by that I mean the burden of fans claiming a piece of the park as their own personal history, it can remain a flexible enterprise. New technologies and ride concepts all have their place in DCA, and I don't think it would be that tragic it none of the original rides were there in 2051.

My personal philosophy when it comes to viewing Yesterland is this: I'm only mortal.

That sounds kind of strange, yeah? But I'm 28. Which means I was born in a certain time and place, and as much as I hate to think about it, I'm going to die. Which also means that there are a TON of Disneyland attractions I have never seen or will see. That goes for every guest visiting for the first time. By the time I first got there in 1987, 22 years of openings and closures had happened. My next trip wasn't until 2005, so almost another two decades of stuff that had opened and subsequently closed had gone by. I'm cool with that. Every generation deserves its own park, and the things I find groovy will cease to be relevant 44 years from now. Hell, it's why we keep going back: embracing the spirit of change. After all, would we really want DCA to remain static for another half-century?
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Adventurer Slash Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzcochik View Post
    I think what was meant was not so much that they'd tear down the whole park and start over, but there will be so many new rides and things that it will be a different park.
    They've even talked about changing the name.

I do kinda think that is strang to think about... then again, DCA only opened with like 10 attractions (okkay not that few but you know what I mean)
    Oh, well... Sorry, I'm rather dense sometimes. Uh... it's core will still be DCA though. You know, under all the new stuff!

It's a bit weird to think about it that far in the future.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis View Post
    A billion dollars is a LOT of money, regardless of how big your corporation is. After spending that much, there is no way they will simply let it rot over the next 44 years.
    As was proven by several bad management decisions at Disneyland, it doesn't take 44 years, only 10.

Personally, I think DCA is everything that Disneyland is not, and I know that is a backhanded compliment but it holds true. Where Disneyland has to remain static in many respects - you couldn't get ride of the "Lands" concept, and there are certain rides that would cause a small riot if you tried to remove them - the beauty of a park like DCA is that it remains fluid and fresh. Because it doesn't have the burden of history, and by that I mean the burden of fans claiming a piece of the park as their own personal history, it can remain a flexible enterprise. New technologies and ride concepts all have their place in DCA, and I don't think it would be that tragic it none of the original rides were there in 2051.
    While I do agree, at the same time many attractions in Disneyland were already considered "classics" by the time it hit it's 10th anniversary. DCA will always be in the shadow of it's neighbor no matter how hard it may try to set itself apart. It is so close that you can't help but compare and contrast, because you can visit both in the span of a few minutes.

My personal philosophy when it comes to viewing Yesterland is this: I'm only mortal.

That sounds kind of strange, yeah? But I'm 28. Which means I was born in a certain time and place, and as much as I hate to think about it, I'm going to die. Which also means that there are a TON of Disneyland attractions I have never seen or will see. That goes for every guest visiting for the first time. By the time I first got there in 1987, 22 years of openings and closures had happened. My next trip wasn't until 2005, so almost another two decades of stuff that had opened and subsequently closed had gone by. I'm cool with that. Every generation deserves its own park, and the things I find groovy will cease to be relevant 44 years from now. Hell, it's why we keep going back: embracing the spirit of change. After all, would we really want DCA to remain static for another half-century?
    Completely agree, but it is nice to have at least one or two things from childhood. What would Disneyland be like without things like Teacups? Disneyland RailRoad? Rocket Rods.... ok so that last one isn't missed much. My point is part of what draws you back is having those childhood memories and wanting your own kids to experience them. It is a chance for you to be a kid, and also see that expression of wonder on a child's face when they see it for the first time.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Meh. I'd rather live to see DL's 100th than DCA's 50th.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

DCA will have a 50th. It'a a park, they might as well make the best of it (oh wait!!! what's that? $1.2 bil refurb budget? oh happy day!!!!)

I agree with the 'ever changing park' theory, but if they take out Tower within the next 15-20 years I might die a spiritual death.
    dreams. come. true.